Fuel additives

I just drive with as light a right foot as possible and rely on opening the throttle just ahead of the climbs to boost the rpm on a thoroughly warm engine to remove the soot. Averaged 29.34mpg [Tank to Tank measure] over 9684 miles since April 2021

Steve

I get almost 30 to the gallon at 5o to 55mph, bump up to 60mph and it drops to 25mpg.
Iveco 2.8 turbo old school engine 4.3 ton.

If you want better fuel and performance, there is a cheaper method.

Find someone with a Costco membership and ask them to add your name to their account. It will cost you £16.80 then you can get Premium diesel at the Costco pumps a lot cheaper than elsewhere. You will get your small investment back very quickly.

Redex was lab-tested many years back and found to do nothing except empty your pocket, I found by accident that cellulose thinners cleans carbon of heating boiler swish plate and nozzel/jet very well, so now and again i put a pint in my central heating sys, not required cleaning in 5 years, just wonder would it do the same in the diesel engine injectors. :unsure:
Trev I don’t think this is correct, can you link the lab tests please? It isn’t an octane booster as some of the other products mentioned here are it’s for keeping everything clean

Trev I don’t think this is correct, can you link the lab tests please? It isn’t an octane booster as some of the other products mentioned here are it’s for keeping everything clean
I have seen a few motorcycle engines stripped down after Redex was added on a regular basis. They were as clean as a whistle. I believe it is a good thing for engines and as an upper cylinder lubricant it is effective.

I just drive with as light a right foot as possible and rely on opening the throttle just ahead of the climbs to boost the rpm on a thoroughly warm engine to remove the soot. Averaged 29.34mpg [Tank to Tank measure] over 9684 miles since April 2021

Steve
Yes a light right foot.
I also get almost 30 mpg.
Renault Master2.5 dci 3500kg low prpfile.
Cruise about 55 mph

6000 miles so 200 gallons or 900 litres say £1700.
Thus a 10% improvement would benefit by £170. So £40 a worthwhile punt especially with other benefits !

Last edited:
I have seen a few motorcycle engines stripped down after Redex was added on a regular basis. They were as clean as a whistle. I believe it is a good thing for engines and as an upper cylinder lubricant it is effective.
That’s what I use it for, keep everything as clean as possible 👍

That’s what I use it for, keep everything as clean as possible 👍
Opening lines from a Round Table After Dinner Speech:

'I was told to keep it short and clean tonight' so I washed it under the cold tap when I finished in the bog ...' :D

Steve

...and did they say you/they couldn't be funny either Steve? :D

...and did they say you/they couldn't be funny either Steve? :D
Cheeky so and so, Graham. I was Speaker's Secretary at Bitterne & Woolston Round Table 1013, so heard a variety of ice breaker introductions, most of them extremely rude, all of them non PC. The best, and just picture the image it conjures up. was from a Senior Official in the Paralympics set up, who said that people are amazed to hear that the visually impaired are able to Sky Dive. 'Of course. people invariably follow up with the question, 'How does the visually impaired person know when they need to prepare for landing?'.

'It's easy, really,' he continued, 'the Lead goes slack ....' :D

Steve

• Funny
Reactions: GMJ
I know what it is, and no link as i looked this up donkeys ears ago, test sid money wasted, as many wonder solutions say, there is a cleaning solution already in the fuel.

Steve
I don't think I need put any in ours (Peugeot Boxer 2.2 2Berth) just arrived at Cheshire Oaks Cruise Control set at 55mph Motorway was getting 36mph average.

We had the diesel particle filter warning lights come up on our berlingo recently (110.000miles on clock). Tried raising rpm to clear it but warning came up more frequently, added a dpf cleaner ( forte) as last resort before taking it to the garage where we were sure ££££ would be involved. The light went off and has stayed off since. Now planning on using something regularly. The hydra does get good reviews..

That is an incredible difference in mpg !.
Please give a recent figure assuming you are still using it. Also how heavy is your camper please
My Iveco is a 2.3 Daily bus 3.5 ton body, originally a disabled school bus but I have removed the wheelchair lift that was very heavy! Thinking about getting re-mapped but for Torque not BHP as this is apparently the better way to go?

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back