Gas gas gas

That was my initial thinking.
However ... the rest stop is on the yellow and not the red end.
So on THAT reasoning, I think Yellow is low, Green is good and Red is danger (for over 80% full)
I'd agree, this is a pic of the same manufacturer's propane regulator disconnected, the rest stop/low level/empty is the yellow sector on the gauge ......

67037A7C-8EA5-4AD2-B660-D0DEFA0008C0.jpeg

Well if I have been sold a empty bottle I am going to sue them after paying for a full one

I got fed up swapping bottles after my first year of MHing so now keep propane on all year round. You get less bang for your buck but its not really that noteworthy for us for the mount we use annually.

Most Calor Gas places in the UK will swap a blue butane one for the equivalent propane so you only pay for the gas. The place I used when I lived in Cirencester let me up-size my 6kgs to 13kgs as well for no extra cost except for the gas.

Reactions: RCW
Ok I’m done with gas! Another issue 🤬

what’s the yellow thingy ? 😂

View attachment 58790
Propane/Butane gas cylinders should not be filled greater than 80%, the needle in the image has slipped into the above 80% yellow area probably because it was warmer at the time than when it was filled or just because the gauge is inaccurate.

Propane/Butane gas cylinders should not be filled greater than 80%, the needle in the image has slipped into the above 80% yellow area probably because it was warmer at the time than when it was filled or just because the gauge is inaccurate.
How do you explain the needle position in Val54's photo if that is the case?

Yellow sector on that gauge is next to the stop.... Ie the resting point not highest point,red is likely to be over pressure.

That dial shows the pressure in the bottle. The pressure depends on the temperature of the surface of the liquid, not on the quantity remaining.
If you want to know how full the bottle is, weigh it, though swooshing the liquid around by swinging the bottle will give you some idea.

If you need a more accurate indication of bottle levels....

These are pretty good (not cheap though)
They measure the remaining liquid level with ultrasonics.
mopeka_bluetooth_gas_bottle_level_sender_indicator__94135.1579507893.jpgScreenshot_20210323-121813_Tank .jpg

(yes I know my batteries need changing ;-))

View attachment 58795View attachment 58796

I can't remember where I saw it (maybe here?) but I saw a link to a gas tank checker but it came with a proviso that is was no good on plastic bottles and also no good on refillables either.

There must be a simple way to register gas use, which would then tell you how much gas you have left? (The Gas Board managed to meter it for the last 100 odd years?)

I can't remember where I saw it (maybe here?) but I saw a link to a gas tank checker but it came with a proviso that is was no good on plastic bottles and also no good on refillables either.

There must be a simple way to register gas use, which would then tell you how much gas you have left? (The Gas Board managed to meter it for the last 100 odd years?)
The above works fine on my Gaslow bottles... They do a different version for aluminium bottles...
Not sure about composites though.

With PROPANE (ie no temperature issue) and refillable simply monitor your use.
We have 2 tanks and simply swap manually when the in use tank gives up !
Ok we only use in summer but the cadac BBQ uses a bit more than say the gas hobs
Our fridge is on LPG 99% when stood ! over the last 6 years we have averaged...1 litre a day and the longest we have gone without topping up is 36 days our maximum topup being 37 litres. We have 2 x 11kg tanks 20 KG lpg is close to 40 litres
Not sure if the 11kg rating allows for the 80% filling factor or not.
We do not winter in the vehicle and I can appreciate that a summer consumption of 3 litres a day so 20 KWH to allow for heating
We do use a 1 kW electric fan when we are on EHU normally at half-power and it only runs at said 500 watts for maybe 20 mins before cutting out.
so even 12 hours at 1kw is only 12 kWH.Monitoring is key to planning. Once we have swapped tanks (in summer) we aim at a week before toppimg up 1

I said to Mrs GMJ that when I get some time on a nice day I'll have both our cylinders out and will weigh them as I cant remember for the life of me what's what as it's been so long since we used gas on a trip (and so long since a trip!!).

With PROPANE (ie no temperature issue) and refillable simply monitor your use.
We have 2 tanks and simply swap manually when the in use tank gives up !
Ok we only use in summer but the cadac BBQ uses a bit more than say the gas hobs
Our fridge is on LPG 99% when stood ! over the last 6 years we have averaged...1 litre a day and the longest we have gone without topping up is 36 days our maximum topup being 37 litres. We have 2 x 11kg tanks 20 KG lpg is close to 40 litres
Not sure if the 11kg rating allows for the 80% filling factor or not.
We do not winter in the vehicle and I can appreciate that a summer consumption of 3 litres a day so 20 KWH to allow for heating
We do use a 1 kW electric fan when we are on EHU normally at half-power and it only runs at said 500 watts for maybe 20 mins before cutting out.
so even 12 hours at 1kw is only 12 kWH.Monitoring is key to planning. Once we have swapped tanks (in summer) we aim at a week before toppimg up 1
I was told that the quoted capacities are to the recommended 80%

View attachment 58795View attachment 58796

I
Want one!

That’s thanks for the advice mate, I’ll give that a try. I’ve got 5 days left then free! And that involved a lot of paperwork 😂👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back