Have I forgot anything

+1 for both Three and Clarity. However, I would urge caution wrt UK cards and The Netherlands. When we were there last year, we found that most of the cafés and restaurants we used would not accept our Clarity card (or our other UK Visa and Mastercard cards), so we needed cash. That said, the cheapest way we found to get our hands on cash Euros was to use our Clarity card in a local ATM. Clarity gives Mastercard wholesale exchange rates and then charges 1.4% interest per month from the time of withdrawal to the time you pay it off whereas the Post Office et al. charge a lot more (often in the form of disadvantageous exchange rates). Currently, the Post Office will give you 1.1080 €/£ while Clarity gives 1.1409, so effectively the PO is charging 2.9%. Wherever possibly, we use our Clarity card to buy goods and services because Clarity doesn't charge interest on card transactions provided you pay the bill off in full each month.

We didn't have any trouble using the Clarity card in Amsterdam last year, but w always carry a different one just in case

When we use an atm for cash always transfer money onto the Clarity card as soon as we know what the sterling amount is to save the interest.

[...]When we use an atm for cash always transfer money onto the Clarity card as soon as we know what the sterling amount is to save the interest.
For info, you can get the sterling amount from the Mastercard Currency Converter at https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html. FWIW, and in case it helps others, Halifax Customer Service told us to pay into Sort Code: 77-29-00, Account No: 00 00 00 00 and quote the 16-digit card number as the reference -- but please confirm that with Halifax as I don't do Internet banking and so have always left ATM withdrawls to be paid by my direct debit. HTH, Geoff

For info, you can get the sterling amount from the Mastercard Currency Converter at https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html. FWIW, and in case it helps others, Halifax Customer Service told us to pay into Sort Code: 77-29-00, Account No: 00 00 00 00 and quote the 16-digit card number as the reference -- but please confirm that with Halifax as I don't do Internet banking and so have always left ATM withdrawls to be paid by my direct debit. HTH, Geoff

I just wait a day or so and check my account, works for us, not keen on them making any money out of me :)

You need gilet jaunes for each person travelling. Are you going alone as you only listed one vest?

Baked beans, Branston pickle, and any "cannot be withouts".
The Mecadonna supermarkets in Spain do a very passable digestive biscuit, and in the ConSum(think that is correct) supermarkets we found good back bacon.
I know that you are going abroad but there is always a day when you have the "craving" (stand fast on all rude/natural thoughts please).

You mention phone card does your current sim provider not have roaming? Three lets you phone a phone number in the country you are in or a UK number for free. There's always what's app or similar ... As to currency we don't bother and use a credit card - Halifax Clarity or one that doesn't charge for foreign transactions. PS are you planning on going off piste into Germany?
Market traders and ice cream vendors don't often take credit cards. Cash is King!!

Teabags as they are a £1 for 20in Holland.
Try going north in Holland into Groningen Province, Appie from Winsum a lovely village and area we go to Leer in Germany for our booze shopping at Famila og in Germany buy your fuel after lunch the prices can come down then.
If you like bacon take it with you... And cheese if you like Cheshire or Lancashire out crumbly ones.
Cash as cards not always accepted as previously said..
If you were to go to Winsum there is a campsite on the canal Marenland but if for one night there is a layby not on a main road but opposite the old cemetery we has stopped there all quiet no problem..
Wierdaweg is the name of the street..
J&A pub by the bridge over the canal is just brilliant for people and boat watching. Our favourite place..
Enjoy

It used to be that you had to tell banks/credit card companies you were going abroad, so they didn't stop your cards due to suspicious activity.

Paul
You still have to so good point, I only use my debit card to top up my Caxton FX card so I didn't bother to tell them, at the third or fourth top up it was declined and I had to phone Nat West security, I was told it was because of suspicious activity so I was happy with that and after answering a few security questions I had no further problems

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back