Heating Utility Room With a Chinese Diesel Heater

jeffmossy

Rally Organiser

As it would be a major job pipping a central heating radiator into our utility room I started to look at other various options first a electric blower and that was costing a fortune in electricity , then tried a electric oil filled radiator and that turned out not to be efficient , so I decided to go for a freestanding diesel heater
This would fit down the side of the washer perfect
IMG_20201127_141333.jpg
Next was to drill through the outside wall for the exhaust outlet , be careful , as you can see the vibration of the large drill bit caused a lot of the pointing to fall out of the brickwork . Another job for next summer
IMG_20201127_141442.jpg

The battery and charger sat at the rear of the unit perfect
IMG_20201127_141345.jpg

Next was to drill a hole through the back wall into the lean to brick shed for the fuel line into a 20ltr fuel tank

IMG_20201127_141517.jpg

IMG_20201127_141502.jpg

All to do now is test it

IMG_20201127_141712.jpg
IMG_20201127_141413.jpg

Not only does it heat the utility room but the kitchen is attached to this room and it also heats this room up as well , both rooms warm as toast , what a great result

Attachments

• IMG_20201127_141413.jpg
    IMG_20201127_141413.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Forgot to say when I first fired it up the smell of diesel fumes was fairly strong , after investigating I found the joint on the exhaust pipe and the 22mm copper pipe was not a good fit , so I got some fire cement and gave the joint a good covering with the cement and now the diesel fumes smell is no longer around when the heater starts up or is running

Forgot to say when I first fired it up the smell of diesel fumes was fairly strong , after investigating I found the joint on the exhaust pipe and the 22mm copper pipe was not a good fit , so I got some fire cement and gave the joint a good covering with the cement and now the diesel fumes smell is no longer around when the heater starts up or is running
What are your thoughts on using one of these heaters in a conservatory? Do they make much noise?

What are your thoughts on using one of these heaters in a conservatory? Do they make much noise?
I would not hesitate now I have installed mine , it makes about as much noise as a electric heater , obviously the higher you have it the stronger it starts to blow , I am over the moon with the results of mine , even better than I thought it would be

Thanks.
Great idea !
Would also do well in a summerhouse/chalet/logcabin/homeoffice.
With a small solar panel connected to the battery..you could be mains independent.
12V LED lighting..even a TV/laptop

You have done exactly what I have just done in my workshop.
Brilliant heater, the only difference is I have added a silencer on the outside wall as it is a bit noisy otherwise.
I like your idea of an external big fuel drum

These also run off central heating oil (presently around 40p per litre but I bought 1000 litres a few months ago at 20p a litre) or red diesel, a bit more.

Last edited:
What’s the fuel consumption like? I’ve been considering one of these to heat a room attached to the house.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back