Help! Locked keys in van

I don't know if you can or not, but could you request copy of v5 from DVLA?
Yes or you can use form V888 to get the vehicle info, but as its a paper application, there will be delays. Maybe its time to get a reputable auto locksmith out.

If you have side lockers you can cut the nylon hinge pin on the locker door, The door will drop out, Empty the stuff inside then get in and through the space made. I have seen this done, clever. Remember to change the pins to metal ones though

This guy might be worth a call, no call out fee .............

This thread helps focus the mind of what precautions to take to be in the same unfortunate situation as the OP :(

Been looking at suitable portable key-safes that can be used outside and attached to the vehicle to keep a basic spare in. Also make a note of any key numbers.

I wonder if my setup is similar to others ... I have two keys - main and a spare, but the spare does not have any remote facility, so while I can unlock the cab door with it, it does not unlock the Hab Door, so if I lost the main, it would be a right pain (and a spare from FIAT is >£400 :( )

This thread helps focus the mind of what precautions to take to be in the same unfortunate situation as the OP :(

Been looking at suitable portable key-safes that can be used outside and attached to the vehicle to keep a basic spare in. Also make a note of any key numbers.

I wonder if my setup is similar to others ... I have two keys - main and a spare, but the spare does not have any remote facility, so while I can unlock the cab door with it, it does not unlock the Hab Door, so if I lost the main, it would be a right pain (and a spare from FIAT is >£400 :( )
Ditto, I've just been round the van working out how I could lock myself out. On an A class, you would need to lock the hab door on the inside, then exit through the passenger door with the thumb button pressed down, and yes, you are then locked out. On ours, the garage locks need the key to lock so that isn't an issue, but where to keep a spare key that is accessible and out of the weather is problematic.

If you have side lockers you can cut the nylon hinge pin on the locker door, The door will drop out, Empty the stuff inside then get in and through the space made. I have seen this done, clever. Remember to change the pins to metal ones though
Hi trev@jenny
If I cut the plastic pins where did you get the metal ones to replace them with.
I have had a look at the plastic pins they are sealed on both ends,( you would have to buur the ends on metal ones which could end in damaging side off van.
Have you replaced them on your van.
Regards Martin .( yogi bear).

Ditto, I've just been round the van working out how I could lock myself out. On an A class, you would need to lock the hab door on the inside, then exit through the passenger door with the thumb button pressed down, and yes, you are then locked out. On ours, the garage locks need the key to lock so that isn't an issue, but where to keep a spare key that is accessible and out of the weather is problematic.
Our garage door didn’t need the key to lock that’s how the keys got locked inside

Our garage door didn’t need the key to lock that’s how the keys got locked inside
That’s how I mislaid my keys 3 weeks ago in the lakes.
Fortunately cab & hab door were open and I was only 75 miles from home so daughter brought the spare keys to me.

Hi trev@jenny
If I cut the plastic pins where did you get the metal ones to replace them with.
I have had a look at the plastic pins they are sealed on both ends,( you would have to buur the ends on metal ones which could end in damaging side off van.
Might be safer cosmetically to replace the hinges. I assume you don't want to drill out the lock cylinder because of the resulting extra key?

I did the same locked the keys in the garage I ended up lifting the mattress on the above garage bed and cut a hole in the garage roof using knife managed to reach the keys through the hole which now has a 4 inch speaker grill covering it. As mentioned above your better off calling out a auto locksmith who will pick the lock

I know too late for this occasion, but we keep a spare habitation key in a small tin, inside two money bags, both sealed up, then cable-tied under the van (out of site). I also have a record of all the key numbers, as it is not the first time I have seen this issue.

Hi trev@jenny
The plastic/nylon hinge pins just push through the hinge tube holes when door is flapped down, this is how its fitted when built They have a expanding end that opens out to secure when through. Now it depends what way you wish to look at this.
Ever heard of anyone breaking in through the locker side door lifting bench to gain access???? not often!!
Replace with brass or stainless steel pin, ( online brass stainless rod from model shop or ebay ) As long as the pin can sit tight in the space available for the plastic/nylon one it should not fall out. Hence no damage incurred on MH.
I hear you say, pin not burred over. I refer to above, Ever heard of anyone breaking in through the locker side door.!!!!!!!
I hope this is a satisfactory answer. A stanley knife will cut out the plastic pins and your inside in seconds, A coat hanger hook straightened will work to replace the plastic.

Might be safer cosmetically to replace the hinges. I assume you don't want to drill out the lock cylinder because of the resulting extra key?
The plastic/nylon hinge pins just push through the hinge tube holes when door is flapped down, this is how its fitted when built They have a expanding end that opens out to secure when through. Now it depends what way you wish to look at this.
Ever heard of anyone breaking in through the locker side door lifting bench to gain access???? not often!!
Replace with brass or stainless steel pin, ( online brass stainless rod from model shop or ebay ) As long as the pin can sit tight in the space available for the plastic/nylon one it should not fall out. Hence no damage incurred on MH.
I hear you say, pin not burred over. I refer to above, Ever heard of anyone breaking in through the locker side door.!!!!!!!
I hope this is a satisfactory answer. A stanley knife will cut out the plastic pins and your inside in seconds, A coat hanger hook straightened will work to replace the plastic.
Thanks I'll give it a try

Thanks I'll give it a try
Found this whilst researching something else .........

Presumably with the barrel out, the locking mechanism can be overriden.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back