Help! Locked keys in van

Found this whilst researching something else .........

Presumably with the barrel out, the locking mechanism can be overriden.
It is worth clarifying that the Red key is purely a barrel removal key and is not any kind of master key, so only works on a lock that is in the unlocked position.

But it would be fairly simple with care to drill out the lock enough to allow the removal key to unlock and then remove the barrel, then replace with a new one.

Found this whilst researching something else .........

Presumably with the barrel out, the locking mechanism can be overriden.
I think you need the original key to do that unless I'm misreading it? Someone is coming tomorrow, hopefully, he won't charge unless he can fix it ... but who knows what the charge will be if he does ...watch this space!

I think 1807truckman is right.

My son was loaned some lock picking kit. He showed me what to do and in no time at all I found I could open a provided lock incredibly easily. Sadly, he was required to return the kit to it's owner. :(

Sounds to me like the breakdown service and garage didn't try very hard or have an auto lockout kit available, I've used an auto lockout kit many times along with various welding rods and coat hangers to get into all sorts of vehicles.
I think modern mechanics haven't had a misspent youth.
Modern mechanics just plug into computers and get told what to do - not at all 'hands on'

I think 1807truckman is right.

My son was loaned some lock picking kit. He showed me what to do and in no time at all I found I could open a provided lock incredibly easily. Sadly, he was required to return the kit to it's owner. :(
Plenty of lock picking kits on ebay.... Very easy to pick up and slightly scary just how easy it is with practice,.

This one even comes with a bumper/jigger which makes it even easier.

All sorted, local company 2 minute job!
Thanks everyone
Wow that’s brill! How did they do it?
We tried everything on our Comanche before having to break the glass! We could get into the garage but no entry to the van from there! It was a nightmare!
Our spare key doesn’t have remote function but at least we can get into the van via one door!
I’d share where we keep our share now but not sure about the security? Is this is an open forum? If not I’d gladly tell you all what we’ve done!

Wow that’s brill! How did they do it?
We tried everything on our Comanche before having to break the glass! We could get into the garage but no entry to the van from there! It was a nightmare!
Our spare key doesn’t have remote function but at least we can get into the van via one door!
I’d share where we keep our share now but not sure about the security? Is this is an open forum? If not I’d gladly tell you all what we’ve done!
We couldn't see how he did it but he had an old film version of a burglars carry bag of tools! Someone already pm us with a suggestion for where to keep the keys. I think the world and his wife can read these threads so private message is the most secure way

We couldn't see how he did it but he had an old film version of a burglars carry bag of tools! Someone already pm us with a suggestion for where to keep the keys. I think the world and his wife can read these threads so private message is the most secure way
I’ll PM you 😀

It must be a great relief to be back in the motorhome.
Not something you want to experience again.
Well done to the man with the tools who sorted it out.
👏👏👍

Plenty of lock picking kits on ebay.... Very easy to pick up and slightly scary just how easy it is with practice,.

This one even comes with a bumper/jigger which makes it even easier.

This sort of thing is good fun, but you do need loads of playing to open real locks, the practice locks are a lot easier.

Boy went through a phase of this and was playing with it at the pub.

Someone chatting to him (he's sat in his wheelchair at the time.)

"Are you learning to break into houses?"

"Yea, only if they've got a ramp"

🤣🤣🤣🤣 smart arse.

Glad you're in @moonshadow

Lol. I'm also learning to lock pick. Big difference between the practice lock and real. Lock picking lawyer on you tube has a lot to answer for

Be careful keeping a spare key with the van no matter how well hidden. If van gets stolen insurance may require the spare keys to be provided and not having then can prevent payout. Check your policy.

Lol. I'm also learning to lock pick. Big difference between the practice lock and real. Lock picking lawyer on you tube has a lot to answer for

Be careful keeping a spare key with the van no matter how well hidden. If van gets stolen insurance may require the spare keys to be provided and not having then can prevent payout. Check

Be careful keeping a spare key with the van no matter how well hidden. If van gets stolen insurance may require the spare keys to be provided and not having then can prevent payout. Check your policy.
😱 I’ll check our policy! Never thought of that.
Thanks!

Keep 3 sets, one wired on somewhere hidden under the van, and a set at home for ins co. ;)

Keep 3 sets, one wired on somewhere hidden under the van, and a set at home for ins co. ;)
it is pretty typical also not to have a spare key when you buy a vehicle 2nd hand. Pretty sure my last 3 VWs only came with one key and I had to get my own copies made, so the automatic "no 2 sets, no payout" is not really enforcable.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back