Human thermals

Lidl have ski wear about now. Good selection of warm layers. It used to be the only time you saw posh people in there.
True, Meg, but ever since Tam Cowan made his joke about Motherwell Bank Robbers, the Ski Masks have become much more mainstream ... :D

Steve

Do what we r doing next month Andromeda & go for the Winter Sun as no thermals needed ,,,,
We spent £930 on diesel for the Scotland/Spain return trip via France in March & April this year [only 1 full tank of tax subsidised fuel, admittedly] so. ignoring the Winter Sun comfort. you could buy a decent set of Thermals for that sum! We'll still take the Winter Sun option, though, as soon as Elaine gets the post operative 'all clear' from the Medics! And, after all the faffing about with the Jury Service, Elaine had an email earlier this week, 'In view of the timing of your operation in relation to the date of your Jury Citation, we've taken you off the Jury List' ... Good news, and quite surprising when her 2 earlier Phone Calls forewarning of a hospital operation were brushed aside! If God thinks he moves in mysterious ways, he should book a Consultation with the Scottish Courts & Traibunal Service .. :rolleyes:

Steve

I’m a bit late to this thread but I wear M and S thermal top and leggings. They’re very fine but keep me lovely and warm.

Are folk having to wear these thermals inside a home because of no proper heating, or are you out walking etc, im a tad lost on this.

Can anyone please reccomend a good brand of thermal clothing as in tops leggings, socks and gloves. Thank you

We use silk thermals In the winter as we're keen cyclists. Wonderfully warm and weigh nothing. Not especially cheap with gloves around £10, top and bottom under £50 each. Perform better than anything else we've tried. Gloves go under cheaper thermal gloves. I also use footwarmers that last 8hrs. Short trips I wrap in cling film when I get back and use again. Amazon does all of these products. Hope this helps.

Are folk having to wear these thermals inside a home because of no proper heating, or are you out walking etc, im a tad lost on this.
Or because the heating is not affordable? Or for waering outside? Or both? It seems intrusive to seek the reason for the question, because the answer may not permit the usual banter reply of 'You tightwad ...' or similar. I've read a Report in the last 4 weeks or so that suggests the latest Energy Cap increase for April 2023 will take almost 1/2 the UK at least into the technical definition of fuel poverty, so who knows? IIRC, to remain outwith the Fuel Poverty definition, one will require an income of around £43,000pa

Steve

Or because the heating is not affordable? Or for waering outside? Or both? It seems intrusive to seek the reason for the question, because the answer may not permit the usual banter reply of 'You tightwad ...' or similar. I've read a Report in the last 4 weeks or so that suggests the latest Energy Cap increase for April 2023 will take almost 1/2 the UK at least into the technical definition of fuel poverty, so who knows? IIRC, to remain outwith the Fuel Poverty definition, one will require an income of around £43,000pa

Steve
Most home here ar on about 12.000 a year income, the above would be a dream.
Not wanting to know folks privat stuff, but maybe some talk here would or could help with home heating, things like insulation etc and proper controls on poorly fitted heating systems, better to spend 300/500 pounds now and save over the next few years and be comphy in our later years.

I just went around ours and bled them all, a tiny bit of air, a couple are in need of replacing but plumbers are exorbitant around here and it's not a job I can do, I changed two when we moved in, but they are old imperial ones and need the adapters to fit metric rads, PITA to do but we could do with two more doing.

Most home here ar on about 12.000 a year income, the above would be a dream.
Not wanting to know folks privat stuff, but maybe some talk here would or could help with home heating, things like insulation etc and proper controls on poorly fitted heating systems, better to spend 300/500 pounds now and save over the next few years and be comphy in our later years.
We are in a terraced row of late Georgian/early Victorian houses built between 1820 and 1840, and most have been 'converted' [i.e. crudely chopped into two, 'Top and Bottom'] flats. The previous owners were too slow to demolish the rear garden wall and build a garage, so our Flat is about the only one that a] has no off street parking; and b] has a Grade A property listing, that requires Historic Scotland approval to change anything [including the 65 year old 2 glazed panel front door that fits where it touches, is not an architectural special feature, but which Historic Scotland will not allow to be replaced], so ripping out Boilers. insulating upgrades etc are verboten! A Historic Scotland employee told me when I enquired that the ventilation is much better for the property and the occupants' health [which was true during COVID; the whistling wind off the Firth of Forth, 100m away from the leaky front door changed the air about every 60 seconds; shame about the hypothermia]

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back