I see Clarkson is getting the order of the boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Amazon Prime for his comments on Meghan Markle
It appears that Amazon is also getting the boot from rather a lot of JC fans who've cancelled their Prime subscriptions. Amazon stand to lose rather a lot from this because Prime customers often have their subscriptions as much for the free deliveries on Amazon purchases as for the TV content and so they'll lose a lot of physical sales in addition to the media revenue.

I quite like him on millionaire , got annoyed with Top gear as it became more ofA comedy show which lost the point. Watched the farm on and off, agree he did stupid things and this spoilt the show for me anyway! Seems to open his mouth and forget he is in the public eye, harms himself mostly.

I don't think he forgets at all been doing it too long for that, I think he either doesn't care or thinks it will get him more money/viewers and the younger generation is his target.

It appears that Amazon is also getting the boot from rather a lot of JC fans who've cancelled their Prime subscriptions. Amazon stand to lose rather a lot from this because Prime customers often have their subscriptions as much for the free deliveries on Amazon purchases as for the TV content and so they'll lose a lot of physical sales in addition to the media revenue.
Maybe others will now get Prime Subscriptions when in the past they refused as they didn't want any part of the idiot?

Maybe others will now get Prime Subscriptions when in the past they refused as they didn't want any part of the idiot?
I doubt it since almost nobody buys a service for something they're not going to get! That said, Amazon is such a huge, global entity that loss of Clarkson's fan base will hardly scratch their bottom line.

I doubt it since almost nobody buys a service for something they're not going to get! That said, Amazon is such a huge, global entity that loss of Clarkson's fan base will hardly scratch their bottom line.
I have Prime Membership and NEVER watch any of clarksons stuff on Amazon. More fool me as I will be getting even less than I do currently even though it makes no difference.

PS. Your statement "nobody buys a service for something they're not going to get!" is very incorrect.
Why? Well, as an example, I buy the Premium Service of Youtube. Why? it is to get something I am not going to get (in other words, something I would get if I didn't buy the service). What is that? Adverts! :D By buying the service, I no longer get something I used to get 🥳

And if I could pay something which meant I would never even accidently see Clarkson (plus a few others like him. Someone say "Piers Morgan?") then I would certainly consider it.

I have Prime Membership and NEVER watch any of clarksons stuff on Amazon. More fool me as I will be getting even less than I do currently even though it makes no difference.

PS. Your statement "nobody buys a service for something they're not going to get!" is very incorrect.
Why? Well, as an example, I buy the Premium Service of Youtube. Why? it is to get something I am not going to get (in other words, something I would get if I didn't buy the service). What is that? Adverts! :D By buying the service, I no longer get something I used to get 🥳

And if I could pay something which meant I would never even accidently see Clarkson (plus a few others like him. Someone say "Piers Morgan?") then I would certainly consider it.
You're buying the premium service to get something you wouldn't otherwise -- service free of advertisements. You are getting more wanted content per unit time as none of that time is now taken up by adverts. FWIW, I have a Prime subscription mainly for the free deliveries. So, you could say that I'm paying to not get something -- charged for delivery. The more perverse of us could claim that any negative is a positive just by presenting the converse. I stand by my original statement.

My point (which I suspect you knew) is that very few if any are going to stump up for a Prime subscription because Amazon have said Clarkson won't feature beyond the programming they've already commissioned. They don't need to pay to not see Clarkson. So, if they stump up for Prime subscription, it'll be for something for which they actually need to pay.

Clarkson is an aged bloated bigot who has to scrape the bottom of the barrel for his latest supercilious, smug hate-filled outpourings. He called for strikers to be executed, and has followed that with his hate speech about a certain female

Steve
Steve I'm pleased to see you held back with your thoughts on Clarkson but I think it still shows through that you don't particularly like him.😉
Lee

I also dislike that git Paddy McGuiness on TG and everywhere else it seems, a Clarkson wannabe I think, he's even more full of himself than Clarkson as impossible as that may sound, Freddie is a bit that way but at least he's funny, Harris is just Harris and gets on with it despite the best efforts of the other two.

I also dislike that git Paddy McGuiness on TG and everywhere else it seems, a Clarkson wannabe I think, he's even more full of himself than Clarkson as impossible as that may sound, Freddie is a bit that way but at least he's funny, Harris is just Harris and gets on with it despite the best efforts of the other two.
Kev, the Stewart Lee column in the Guardian today, touches upon the problem that adopting Mr Clarkson's tactics produces. The 2nd & 3rd paragraphs from the end capture the issue in a pointed, but quite humourous manner. Would that I had Mr Lee's talent as an outlet for my jaded cynicism :p

Stewart Lee Column 22nd Jan

Steve

That McGuiness bloke was quite funny I think when he was first on TV (was it a double-act with Peter Kay? McGuiness wore an "Ireland" shirt and Kay wore a "Pakistan" shirt?) but I think like quite a few 'personalities', they start to believe their own hype and press and start to get obnoxious.
I have never been a fan of Clarkson from the start, but he was bearable when he first started on Top Gear and the program was actually about cars (talking about before it was relaunched as some kind of 3 stooges show-off show).

The only Top Gear shows I have actually enjoyed of the "new style" are the 'destination' ones as opposed to the weekly 'news' ones. And even then, they would be a lot better if they didn't have all the staged "sorry" moments where one of the stooges 'accidently' drive into another one or the like. Just much much too Childish. But apparently that is the appeal for many?
The new presenters have probably been told to be as idiotic as the previous ones? It is not a programme I make a point to watch, that is for sure and when it has been turned on maybe lasted 5 minutes before it has to go off.

The best thing about Top Gear is actually that it makes money from Overseas sales so doesn't cost the License Payer anything.

That McGuiness bloke was quite funny I think when he was first on TV (was it a double-act with Peter Kay? McGuiness wore an "Ireland" shirt and Kay wore a "Pakistan" shirt?) but I think like quite a few 'personalities', they start to believe their own hype and press and start to get obnoxious.
I have never been a fan of Clarkson from the start, but he was bearable when he first started on Top Gear and the program was actually about cars (talking about before it was relaunched as some kind of 3 stooges show-off show).

The only Top Gear shows I have actually enjoyed of the "new style" are the 'destination' ones as opposed to the weekly 'news' ones. And even then, they would be a lot better if they didn't have all the staged "sorry" moments where one of the stooges 'accidently' drive into another one or the like. Just much much too Childish. But apparently that is the appeal for many?
The new presenters have probably been told to be as idiotic as the previous ones? It is not a programme I make a point to watch, that is for sure and when it has been turned on maybe lasted 5 minutes before it has to go off.

The best thing about Top Gear is actually that it makes money from Overseas sales so doesn't cost the License Payer anything.
'5th Gear Recharged' seems to be teetering on the edge, but is just about staying on the factual side of what EVs can be expected to achieve in the real world; the addition of the petrol head, 'Sid' is a wee bit OTT, but shows that EVs do not have to be boring.

Paddy McGuinness was a good foil for Peter Kay in Phoenix Nights and the Paddy & Max spin off was not too bad an effort. Peter Kay is an accomplished comedian who can produce new material/new angles regularly enough to stay topical and fresh. Paddy McGuinness is not so blessed

Steve

I prefer 5th gear for car stuff, and the late brake show on YT sometimes, but 5th gear has started using YT "stars" instead of the regular ones, not keen on that ex racing mechanic, or the coloured guy with the weird voice, but Plato and VBH are good at what they do.

I used to like Wheeler dealer once they got rid of China, then they drafted in Anstead who was good at first then he married Zelwagler and he started to think he was better than the program, Brewer? undecided.

'5th Gear Recharged' seems to be teetering on the edge, but is just about staying on the factual side of what EVs can be expected to achieve in the real world; the addition of the petrol head, 'Sid' is a wee bit OTT, but shows that EVs do not have to be boring.

Paddy McGuinness was a good foil for Peter Kay in Phoenix Nights and the Paddy & Max spin off was not too bad an effort. Peter Kay is an accomplished comedian who can produce new material/new angles regularly enough to stay topical and fresh. Paddy McGuinness is not so blessed

Steve
yup, I think it was "Paddy and Max" I was picturing :)

yup, I think it was "Paddy and Max" I was picturing :)
The opening scene on London Bridge where they opened th Motorhome door to dispose of the toilet cassette contents into the face of a passing policeman was pure slapstick of the best, Mr Pastry and Norman Wisdom antics in a modern setting .. :p

Steve

Steve
I don't mind 5th Gear Recharged TBH but they did one up to Tromso? 1000 miles in 24 hours, over three days, two drivers in an EV of some make, on the last day they had 300 miles to go and 8 hours left on the clock, and they were fretting all horlicks of course they got there with a few seconds and miles left, if I couldn't do the 1000 miles in a long day I'd be gutted 70mph x 14 hours leaves 10 hours to rest and recharge, grab some grub and Norway is EV friendly with hi output chargers all over the place, why do they to fart about and have crap like that, the directors must be subnormal 12 year olds.

I prefer 5th gear for car stuff, and the late brake show on YT sometimes, but 5th gear has started using YT "stars" instead of the regular ones, not keen on that ex racing mechanic, or the coloured guy with the weird voice, but Plato and VBH are good at what they do.

I used to like Wheeler dealer once they got rid of China, then they drafted in Anstead who was good at first then he married Zelwagler and he started to think he was better than the program, Brewer? undecided.
Wheeler Dealers is OK in small doses, depends on the vehicle involved and the mods made to address design problems [Anstead forté]. I saw the TVR ex works car restoration with 'Elvis' on Friday, and this gave a nice twist to the restoration angle. Mike Brewer was sure that he had driven the actual car when he was a Motoring Journo, and it proved to be the case. They also tracked down the last TVR Works Driver who was able to fill in the gaps on the provenance and explain why the original 4 litre engine had been replaced by a 4.3 version [original factory replacement work, not a 'boy racer' tart up]

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back