I see Clarkson is getting the order of the boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a bit shocked that anyone finds references to strikers being executed and truckers murdering prostitutes amusing (I presume that is the case if it is thought they are made for comedic effect?).
[...]
I guess you don't understand irony...

Do you really, seriously think that Clarkson was calling for all striking public sector workers to be shot?! If the authorities thought that then surely he would have faced charges just as Abu Hamza did for incitement to murder.

AFAICT, the "murder a prostitute" thing was filmed when Peter Sutcliffe was in the news. It nearly had me choking on my coffee before laughing at the irony. Do you really, seriously think that Clarkson claimed all truckers go around murdering prostitutes?!

Both were irony for comedic effect (albeit black comedy).

I love the old Griffs ;)

My S3 had a centre "silencer" which was really a baffle-less box and I could easily set off car alarms of parked cars with a blip of the throttle. Happy days...

Actually I think my old Scooby was nearly as loud and faster...

K ;)

I had a newer one, the 500, not an original. It pulled 393bhp and 400lbsqft of torque on a dyno...mind you I did have a 5.4litre engine put in it :)

Do you really, seriously think that Clarkson was calling for all striking public sector workers to be shot?! If the authorities thought that then surely he would have faced charges just as Abu Hamza did for incitement to murder.

AFAICT, the "murder a prostitute" thing was filmed when Peter Sutcliffe was in the news. It nearly had me choking on my coffee before laughing at the irony. Do you really, seriously think that Clarkson claimed all truckers go around murdering prostitutes?!

Wasn't there a spate of murders in Ipswich of prostitutes that was traced back to a truck driver? Some years ago now but I always thought the references were related to that.

I've no idea what Clarkson said about truckers murdering prostitutes. You (or an earlier poster) are the one who said he made light of doing this. What I don't understand is why that should be amusing and so funny it makes someone choke on their coffee either pre or post Sutcliffe.

Comedy (black or otherwise)? No. Ironic? No. Sick? Yes.

Don't disagree they were said for comedic effect . Not sure where he was being ironic ?

To be clear here, I'm not criticising you. Of course, you are as welcome to your opinion as others are to theirs. However, everything in the post @Geek referenced (except perhaps "aged") is opinion (that you are completely at liberty to express). The problem comes from @Geek representing your opinion as fact.

I will point out that mere demonstration that (in your opinion) Clarkson is scraping the barrel is a straw man that doesn't support your original statement that he has to do this. Additionally, I suspect his particular barrel has a lot more to give before he gets anywhere near 'scraping' it!
Then there's the question of "bigotry", which at least one dictionary defines as, "stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own". Whether or not Clarkson has met this definition is subjective opinion. One can hold an opinion contrary to another's without being a bigot provided you in some way tolerate the opinion of the other. In contrast, the cancel culture epitomises bigotry since they are so intolerant they routinely seek to destroy those who hold opinion contrary to theirs and hence fully meet the definition.
This 'woke' and 'cancel' culture has become a joined up movement thanks to social media (and helped by mainstream media). These people always existed but the rest of us called them 'huffy', 'no sense of humour' or 'thin skinned' and let them just get on with it because it did not affect the rest of us. Now it is a dangerous cult that tries to destroy lives and sometimes succeeds (look at JK Rowling and the Trans supporters).

I have seen 2 motorhome forums destroyed by elderly people (as opposed to the young) with senseless arguments and a like minded clique taking over. This is mostly to do with Politics and some of those people are now members on here and wildcamping. Fortunately Phil will not stand for the kind of shit, which is a great relief for everyone.

It is a fact of life that everyone is entitled to an opinion. They are entitled to voice it but not to try and force it on anyone else. I would like to make two points on opinions.
1) If you offer an opinion, it will likely be ignored.
2) If you are asked for an opinion, there is no guarantee it will be heeded.

Also remember that opinions are lie a***holes, everyone has one. :ROFLMAO:

This 'woke' and 'cancel' culture has become a joined up movement thanks to social media (and helped by mainstream media). These people always existed but the rest of us called them 'huffy', 'no sense of humour' or 'thin skinned' and let them just get on with it because it did not affect the rest of us. Now it is a dangerous cult that tries to destroy lives and sometimes succeeds (look at JK Rowling and the Trans supporters).

I have seen 2 motorhome forums destroyed by elderly people (as opposed to the young) with senseless arguments and a like minded clique taking over. This is mostly to do with Politics and some of those people are now members on here and wildcamping. Fortunately Phil will not stand for the kind of shit, which is a great relief for everyone.

It is a fact of life that everyone is entitled to an opinion. They are entitled to voice it but not to try and force it on anyone else. I would like to make two points on opinions.
1) If you offer an opinion, it will likely be ignored.
2) If you are asked for an opinion, there is no guarantee it will be heeded.

Also remember that opinions are lie a***holes, everyone has one. :ROFLMAO:
THIS to me is irony .
Not saying any of it is right or wrong but presenting an opinion as factual when talking about other peoples opinions is , by definition , ironic .
Personally think Clarkson is an arrogant arse but , when I enjoy bad taste jokes from others [people who are actually funny] , I can't really criticise this dick too much .
Shame he is really unfunny . IMHO !

When all this be nice to the planet kicked of years ago, TNT had a LPG HGV around Leeds, it had 5-6 huge cylinders stood up at the back of the cab.
LPG is not all that different in power density. Diesel is roughly 13KWh per KG LPG is roughly 13.7KWh per KG. The only real difference is that LPG is stored in a pressurised tank and LPG is a bit less dense.

The post referred to being from @marchie :
Clarkson is an aged bloated bigot who has to scrape the bottom of the barrel for his latest supercilious, smug hate-filled outpourings. He called for strikers to be executed, and has followed that with his hate speech about a certain female

Whether or not Clarkson is a bigot is subjective, not fact. Whether he has to scrape the bottom of the barrel is unproven. Whether his diatribe is hate-filled is subjective (IMO most of it is irony/sarcasm said for comedic effect -- including references to strikers being executed and truckers murdering prostitutes). Whether comments about a certain odious female constitute 'hate speech' is opinion. Not many facts in the referenced post IMO.
Do you seriously question whether or not Clarkson is a bigot? Are you unwell?

Yes, he may scrape the barrel even deeper. That doesn't mean he's saying acceptable things now.

Whether he means his statements to be ironic or not, to many of his followers take them at face value

Why do you think she is odious? Did the Daily Hate Mail tell you to think that?

Yes, he may scrape the barrel even deeper. That doesn't mean he's saying acceptable things now.

Whether he means his statements to be ironic or not, to many of his followers take them at face value

You are using similar language to Clarkson. The words 'odious' and 'Hate' are not subjective at all and give the impression of bigotry.

There are people I dislike more than Clarkson but I will never speak about them in the same manner as you, I was brought up differently to you I suppose. Plus I have seen things and people far, far worse than Mr. Clarkson.

Granted, Clarkson is 'marmite' but that does not give you the right to say what you say on an internet forum for motorhomes. Your post says more abot you than it does about Clarkson. So please get rid of the hate speeches as it leads to other things (like in Nazi Germany).

It's pretty difficult to directly quote people without using similar language. If you don't use their words, people accuse you of twisting their meaning.

I appreciate that your political views are opposite to mine. That does not give you the right to censor what I can post.

What I posted was fact. My opinions helped me choose which facts to focus on. Live with it, or ignore me. Your choice.

It's pretty difficult to directly quote people without using similar language. If you don't use their words, people accuse you of twisting their meaning.

I appreciate that your political views are opposite to mine. That does not give you the right to censor what I can post.

What I posted was fact. My opinions helped me choose which facts to focus on. Live with it, or ignore me. Your choice.
I did not think I was trying to censor anyone. It is the language in which it is said that I think is wrong. From your position it looks like censorship. From my position it looks like bullying and imposing your will on people who think differently. If you had made your post in a different manner, it would have been much more acceptable but as long as you use that sort of language you will attract opposition to your views.

By the way, I have not made any political views on this thread, so you are either psychic or assuming because I have not agreed with you on Clarkson that I am a rabid right winger. Your reference to the Daily Mail (a publication that I have never read) makes it clear where your politics lie and I have no issue with that.

I did not think I was trying to censor anyone.
Funny thing that. I got the impression that you were telling me what I can and cannot post. Perhaps someone hacked your account?
By the way, I have not made any political views on this thread, so you are either psychic or assuming because I have not agreed with you on Clarkson that I am a rabid right winger.
No, neither. I've seen your comments elsewhere.
You're wrong about my newspaper reading too.

[...]
TBH, he seems more open-minded than most of those who want him cancelled IMO. I wrote that whether or not Clarkson is a bigot is subjective and gave the dictionary definition of bigotry -- i.e. stubborn and complete intolerance of another's opinion, religion, creed, etc. I don't think that Clarkson has met that test but accept YMMV. OTOH, stubborn and complete intolerance of another simply because their opinion does not align with one's own would seem to meet that test.
Stating one's opinion is not bigotry -- offhand dismissal of another's simply because it does not align with your own is. Often symptomatic of this are ad hominem and argument by assertion ...

Just for completeness, it is my opinion that someone who it seems to me to be intent upon causing conflict and destroying UK society is extremely unpleasant and repulsive, which is the dictionary definition of "odious". Of course, that's just my opinion and, as usual, I accept that YMMV.
To the raft of previous logical fallacies, you now add association ("Did the Daily Hate Mail tell you to think that?") Really? What evidence do you actually have that I've ever read a publication called the "Daily Hate Mail"? ... or even that a publication called the "Daily Hate Mail" exists? (For info, other than some of the DM's content turning up in search results, I've read nothing from the Daily Mail and haven't read the hard copy form for at least two decades...)

Just for completeness, it is my opinion that someone who it seems to me to be intent upon causing conflict and destroying UK society is extremely unpleasant and repulsive, which is the dictionary definition of "odious". Of course, that's just my opinion and, as usual, I accept that YMMV.
To the raft of previous logical fallacies, you now add association ("Did the Daily Hate Mail tell you to think that?") Really? What evidence do you actually have that I've ever read a publication called the "Daily Hate Mail"? ... or even that a publication called the "Daily Hate Mail" exists? (For info, other than some of the DM's content turning up in search results, I've read nothing from the Daily Mail and haven't read the hard copy form for at least two decades...)
'Odious' is derived from the Latin verb 'to hate', rather than an expression of revulsion, And the noun 'odium' forms the root of 'odious' in English

Steve

'Odious' is derived from the Latin verb 'to hate', rather than an expression of revulsion, And the noun 'odium' forms the root of 'odious' in English

Steve
Thanks for that. I note that Merriam Webster agrees with you and says, "Odious comes from Latin odiosus; that adjective is from the word for "hatred," odium. Odium is related to the English verb annoy, and it is used in English to mean "hatred" or "disgrace."". That said, my understanding is as stated in my post and defined in my (probably out of date) hardcopy OED, viz: "extremely unpleasant, repulsive", which is supported by Thesaurus online (https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/odious), which gives as synonyms "abhorrent, abominable, disgusting, horrid, loathsome, obnoxious, repugnant, repulsive, revolting and vile" as primary synonyms. It seems this is yet another instance of UK and USA being two countries divided by a common language!

LPG is not all that different in power density. Diesel is roughly 13KWh per KG LPG is roughly 13.7KWh per KG. The only real difference is that LPG is stored in a pressurised tank and LPG is a bit less dense.
And less harmful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back