I see Clarkson is getting the order of the boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wheeler Dealers is OK in small doses, depends on the vehicle involved and the mods made to address design problems [Anstead forté]. I saw the TVR ex works car restoration with 'Elvis' on Friday, and this gave a nice twist to the restoration angle. Mike Brewer was sure that he had driven the actual car when he was a Motoring Journo, and it proved to be the case. They also tracked down the last TVR Works Driver who was able to fill in the gaps on the provenance and explain why the original 4 litre engine had been replaced by a 4.3 version [original factory replacement work, not a 'boy racer' tart up]

Steve
I think I watched that one, seems a long while ago though.

I don't mind 5th Gear Recharged TBH but they did one up to Tromso? 1000 miles in 24 hours, over three days, two drivers in an EV of some make, on the last day they had 300 miles to go and 8 hours left on the clock, and they were fretting all horlicks of course they got there with a few seconds and miles left, if I couldn't do the 1000 miles in a long day I'd be gutted 70mph x 14 hours leaves 10 hours to rest and recharge, grab some grub and Norway is EV friendly with hi output chargers all over the place, why do they to fart about and have crap like that, the directors must be subnormal 12 year olds.
The Tromso programme was quite good. The challenge/competition terms limited the driving day to 8 hours, including charging time allocations, and there has to be an element of artistic licence to make it entertaining. The 'charge before or after the ferry?' was a decent example of the decisions that drivers would have to make, and the 'made it with 4 miles to spare' battery life was a pleasant variation on the 'Manufacturer says x miles range; our test says x- 25%' formula

Jimmy Deville started as a die hard ICE Fan, but is shifting his stance, especially after driving the Volvo HGV EV with *only* 3.6 tonnes of batteries, rather than the formula 20% of overall weight, that would have required 8 tonnes of batteries! It was interesting that Volvo have equipped the HGV with a staggeringly high recharge capacity that can easily recharge the batteries fully within the Driver's Rest Hours, BUT they sidestepped the question of what strain on energy supplies having thousands of similar HGVs would place on a UK network that hasn't kept pace with the investment in charging infrastructure [renewables in general, or recharging in particular]!

'Whose going to tell the 17 stone Owner Driver that his bloody truck has just tripped the power supply for the entire estate, 'cos I ain't ...' :rolleyes:

Steve

Oh!! I managed to miss "The challenge/competition terms limited the driving day to 8 hours, including charging time allocations," that, makes more sense now, I'll forgive them, but a mad dash would have been more entertaining.

Not seen the HGV one.

Oh!! I managed to miss "The challenge/competition terms limited the driving day to 8 hours, including charging time allocations," that, makes more sense now, I'll forgive them, but a mad dash would have been more entertaining.

Not seen the HGV one.
The HGV EV is a beautiful piece of design and execution. The Volvo Professional Driver said that a diesel wagon would arrive at the Workshop with the radio volume at 24 or 25. The EV version radio setting 4 or 5 ...

Steve

When all this be nice to the planet kicked of years ago, TNT had a LPG HGV around Leeds, it had 5-6 huge cylinders stood up at the back of the cab.

I was standing at the Sandwich Van outside the TVR factory when I heard a rumbling sound. They pushed their Race car out of a door with the engine ticking over. The driver put it in gear and drove up the road to another entrance. When he revved it, he set off every car alarm in the cars parked on the road. :ROFLMAO:

It was probably a bit poorly that day Trev

I was standing at the Sandwich Van outside the TVR factory when I heard a rumbling sound. They pushed their Race car out of a door with the engine ticking over. The driver put it in gear and drove up the road to another entrance. When he revved it, he set off every car alarm in the cars parked on the road. :ROFLMAO:

My TVR Griffith sounded like a Nascar when I had straight through pipes on it. I overtook a cop car driving up a dual carriageway one day, well within the legal speed. They stopped me as they said that their car had vibrated as I drove past. They were local coppers who had a word along the lines of "if the Traffic boys hear this their put a prohibition order on it". So I changed the exhaust for a Red Rose system...which didn't make a huge amount of difference tbh...

No, the bile was from Clarkson. The post simply stated the facts.
The post referred to being from @marchie :
Clarkson is an aged bloated bigot who has to scrape the bottom of the barrel for his latest supercilious, smug hate-filled outpourings. He called for strikers to be executed, and has followed that with his hate speech about a certain female

Whether or not Clarkson is a bigot is subjective, not fact. Whether he has to scrape the bottom of the barrel is unproven. Whether his diatribe is hate-filled is subjective (IMO most of it is irony/sarcasm said for comedic effect -- including references to strikers being executed and truckers murdering prostitutes). Whether comments about a certain odious female constitute 'hate speech' is opinion. Not many facts in the referenced post IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge Clarkson fan (IMO, TG lost it when they turned the show into a three-ring circus) and I think his comment was an error of judgement. However, the woke tendency for cancelling anyone who disagrees with or offends their narrow-minded bigotry is IMO an evil that should be resisted.

The post referred to being from @marchie :
Clarkson is an aged bloated bigot who has to scrape the bottom of the barrel for his latest supercilious, smug hate-filled outpourings. He called for strikers to be executed, and has followed that with his hate speech about a certain female

Whether or not Clarkson is a bigot is subjective, not fact. Whether he has to scrape the bottom of the barrel is unproven. Whether his diatribe is hate-filled is subjective (IMO most of it is irony/sarcasm said for comedic effect -- including references to strikers being executed and truckers murdering prostitutes). Whether comments about a certain odious female constitute 'hate speech' is opinion. Not many facts in the referenced post IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge Clarkson fan (IMO, TG lost it when they turned the show into a three-ring circus) and I think his comment was an error of judgement. However, the woke tendency for cancelling anyone who disagrees with or offends their narrow-minded bigotry is IMO an evil that should be resisted.
I stand by my comments and it is possible to demonstrate his ever lowering of decency that barrel scraping is his stock-in-trade. The fact that you say racial slurs and support for execution is comedic effect and you then refer to others' 'narrow-minded bigotry' [because Clarkson's comments are not bigotry?] is bizarre. But. I'll agree with you to differ and I shall withdraw from the Thread

Steve

I am a bit shocked that anyone finds references to strikers being executed and truckers murdering prostitutes amusing (I presume that is the case if it is thought they are made for comedic effect?).

I would not say Clarkson is scraping the bottom of the barrel. It is pretty clear from the many many years history of his 'witty' and 'comedic' outpourings, his particular barrel would seem to be bottomless and each time when you think he has finally sunk to the bottom he manages to further surprise.

I thought Clarkson had reached rock bottom but he's now showing signs of digging...
K ;)

My TVR Griffith sounded like a Nascar when I had straight through pipes on it. I overtook a cop car driving up a dual carriageway one day, well within the legal speed. They stopped me as they said that their car had vibrated as I drove past. They were local coppers who had a word along the lines of "if the Traffic boys hear this their put a prohibition order on it". So I changed the exhaust for a Red Rose system...which didn't make a huge amount of difference tbh...
I love the old Griffs ;)

My S3 had a centre "silencer" which was really a baffle-less box and I could easily set off car alarms of parked cars with a blip of the throttle. Happy days...

Actually I think my old Scooby was nearly as loud and faster...

K ;)

Reactions: GMJ
It is safe (I think) to say he's very Marmite, if he dropped the act, he might be quite charming but he has to act the loon and it's quite insipid for me.

I did read once that he paid for accommodation of families visiting hospitalised veterans of afghanistan... 🤷‍♂️ as a founding patron of Help the Heroes. They have nowt to do with him these days

Just saying...
K ;)

Last edited:
I stand by my comments and it is possible to demonstrate his ever lowering of decency that barrel scraping is his stock-in-trade. The fact that you say racial slurs and support for execution is comedic effect and you then refer to others' 'narrow-minded bigotry' [because Clarkson's comments are not bigotry?] is bizarre. But. I'll agree with you to differ and I shall withdraw from the Thread

Steve
To be clear here, I'm not criticising you. Of course, you are as welcome to your opinion as others are to theirs. However, everything in the post @Geek referenced (except perhaps "aged") is opinion (that you are completely at liberty to express). The problem comes from @Geek representing your opinion as fact.

I will point out that mere demonstration that (in your opinion) Clarkson is scraping the barrel is a straw man that doesn't support your original statement that he has to do this. Additionally, I suspect his particular barrel has a lot more to give before he gets anywhere near 'scraping' it!
Then there's the question of "bigotry", which at least one dictionary defines as, "stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own". Whether or not Clarkson has met this definition is subjective opinion. One can hold an opinion contrary to another's without being a bigot provided you in some way tolerate the opinion of the other. In contrast, the cancel culture epitomises bigotry since they are so intolerant they routinely seek to destroy those who hold opinion contrary to theirs and hence fully meet the definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back