Importing food into the EU

At least we don't need an IDP if travelling in EU for less than 6 months(!). Got them already, though, as no clear guidance before we left!

Anybody know where we can get a large bag of James Wellbeloved Senior in France or Spain?
If you did manage to find a supplier (contact the company, I did that with the food I use) do you think it is worth contacting the Calais port and Tunnel people to ask if they would consider setting up a locker collection point, like you see for people to pick up Amazon orders?

Edited for typo

Last edited:
If you did manage to find a supplier (contact the company, I did that with the food I use)
I wrote to Wellbeloved but they don't have a dealer in Europe. I've looked at Carrefour and they have "Senior" dog food by other makers which will probably be fine.

If you did manage to find a supplier (contact the company, I did that with the food I use) do you think it is worth contacting the Calais port and Tunnel people to ask if they would consider setting up a locker collection point, like you see dog people to pick up Amazon orders?
I wondered about that But would Amazon be able to ship it to one of their collection points if we can't take it our selves ?
Just after above I've been reminded of our friends when living in France they used to get Tesco home delivery's via a UK based haulier that they had to meet at a local location to collect their order it was very popular in their area lot of expats used it could they still be operating

I would find out in what respect the senior dog food differs from the standard. Often it is just lower in calories to allow for the older dog slowing down. You could replicate that by just feeding less of a standard food. Another alternative is to just cook up some home made dog food until you find a brand that suits your dog. Burns dog food used to be available all over Europe in pet shops rather than in supermarkets.

Yes, it's the lower calories because she's a greedy, but still very fit, little Border Terrier and can put on weight while your back is turned.

Thanks for all the suggestions - very much on the back burner at the moment of course.

The main thing we will miss is not being able to take bacon.

Normally we go away with just a couple of days planning so we just empty the fridge and go.Now we will have to freeze anything we can't take or give away anything that can't be frozen.

We do enjoy going to the French supermarkets, our first overnight stop is usually Bergues,the next day we go straight to Lidl and Le clerc regardless of what we have in the fridge.

We've had to do it in the past when there was foot and mouth,also Ireland used to have restrictions, so we'll just have to get used to it.

Reactions: Rec
wondered about that But would Amazon be able to ship it to one of their collection points if we can't take it our selves ?
No, you are right; my idea relies on there being a supplier in France. I didn't mean for Amazon to deliver, I just meant a similar style of pick up point.

The irony is the food I use is made in Germany.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Question. Are we doing the same checks for those coming in? Start confiscating EU products from the truck drivers & watch the reaction.

Think we will stay here from now on. Plenty of this nation to explore, finding water is the main problem here. Cassette emptying is now solved thanks to some lateral thinking and a fair amount of ingenuity. At least milk is not a problem here, unlike France. UHT ugh! Google earth finds nice parking. Not exactly aires but many spots just as good.

Do not seem to remember having this trouble before we went into the comm8on market let alone the full EU they did not check much.

Am I correct in thinking these new regulations will apply to travelling to Northern Ireland as the border is now in the Irish Sea. There was a lady being interviewed and she was very angry about the new regulations regarding taking her dog into Northern Ireland. There are also news items about firms not willing to supply seeds, foodstuffs etc because of all the paperwork involved.

Am I correct in thinking these new regulations will apply to travelling to Northern Ireland as the border is now in the Irish Sea. There was a lady being interviewed and she was very angry about the new regulations regarding taking her dog into Northern Ireland. There are also news items about firms not willing to supply seeds, foodstuffs etc because of all the paperwork involved.
Yes, the new rules apply to Northern Ireland because the European border now runs through the Irish sea.

You should read this to understand your allowances.
This appears to say that rules are unchanged for bringing personal use food back from the EU into the UK. So a one way street. Another of those Brexit freedoms.

Think we will stay here from now on. Plenty of this nation to explore, finding water is the main problem here. Cassette emptying is now solved thanks to some lateral thinking and a fair amount of ingenuity. At least milk is not a problem here, unlike France. UHT ugh! Google earth finds nice parking. Not exactly aires but many spots just as good.
Tell me more about the lateral thinking and ingenuity solving the cassette emptying problem? I'm always ready to learn new tricks!

This is the reply that I received from CAMC re travelling to Northern Ireland: -

The only new restrictions affecting people travelling from Scotland, England or Wales into Northern Ireland is to do with pets - pet owners must now have an Animal Health Certificate. This has replaced the Pet Passport Scheme, which was previously needed for Europe but not Northern Ireland. There are no restrictions vis-a-vis food, so this does not affect you.

At the moment P&O will allow you to travel whenever you want in 2021, but they have not extended this any further as yet. It's worth checking from time to time in case they do change their terms and conditions - but they have no plans to do this at the moment and there's no guarantee that they will.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I think that the optimist in me will now start thinking about making use of our P&O credit note from last year. Just when for though - oh to have a crystal ball.

This is the reply that I received from CAMC re travelling to Northern Ireland: -

The only new restrictions affecting people travelling from Scotland, England or Wales into Northern Ireland is to do with pets - pet owners must now have an Animal Health Certificate. This has replaced the Pet Passport Scheme, which was previously needed for Europe but not Northern Ireland. There are no restrictions vis-a-vis food, so this does not affect you.

At the moment P&O will allow you to travel whenever you want in 2021, but they have not extended this any further as yet. It's worth checking from time to time in case they do change their terms and conditions - but they have no plans to do this at the moment and there's no guarantee that they will.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I think that the optimist in me will now start thinking about making use of our P&O credit note from last year. Just when for though - oh to have a crystal ball.
I have just had my credit note from Brittany Ferries repaid. It's dead easy through the chat messaging system on their website. Have all your details ready before you start the refund.

I have just had my credit note from Brittany Ferries repaid. It's dead easy through the chat messaging system on their website. Have all your details ready before you start the refund.
Unfortunately P & O Ferries don't refund money, they only issue credit notes. It's written into their terms and conditions. They wouldn't even do it as a goodwill gesture. The booking was made through CAMC and there was nothing that they could do about it. If we had booked with Stena Line Cairnryan to Belfast the money would have been refunded. Unfortunately we booked Cairnryan to Larne with P & O. We certainly wouldn't book through P & O ever again.

I contacted the EU as a result of this and other threads on the subject of foods being carried into the EU. My question related to whether it also applied to cooked, frozen food as we always take 7 or so home cooked meals with us when we go abroad for longer trips, just to use as a stop gap if we haven't got to a supermarket etc

The reply I eventually received after much chasing was...

The current rules banning the introduction into the EU by travellers of meat, milk or their products do not distinguish the state under which these products are at the time of entering the territory of the European Union. Frozen food containing meat is therefor also subject to the import ban. You may consult the following website for further information: https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/animalproducts/personal_imports_en

So that's that idea bolluxed then!! :)

It's a little annoying that you can't even have some milk in the fridge in your MH for a cuppa for when you get to France.
Yes as the EU have gone mad that English left and we are being treated like criminals. Anything canned is permitted, or just stock up once Over the ferry. 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back