Is this worth buying?

Extention bought at Halfrauds, although I couldn't find it cheaper anywhere.

I unplugged the van on Saturday, and checked the VB just now and it is sitting at 12.3v accordin gto that USB thingybob which is still a bit low, I'll look at it again at the weekend and maybe plug it back in.

Mine rest at 12.7v, looks like something is sucking juice or the bats are foooked.
VB dropped to 12.66v when I hooked up the Ring RAC 900 Tyre Inflator [almost 20psi added to each front tyre and just over 10psi to each rear tyre], but recovered to 13.02v with the Saturday sun, VB sitting at 13.06v today

Steve

It might be that I didn't leave it on for long enough to resusitate it properly, I'll let it settle and look again.

It might be that I didn't leave it on for long enough to resusitate it properly, I'll let it settle and look again.
I bought a Smart Charger in France for the car in 2019, Kev, and, even if the VB needs only a modest top up, the Charger still takes a leisurely 3-4 hours, checking the battery heath, trickle charging, decalcifying, going to absorption mode etc before reporting that it's OK to switch the Charger Off. There's 7 stages, IIRC, so not to be rushed!

Steve

I bought a Smart Charger in France for the car in 2019, Kev, and, even if the VB needs only a modest top up, the Charger still takes a leisurely 3-4 hours, checking the battery heath, trickle charging, decalcifying, going to absorption mode etc before reporting that it's OK to switch the Charger Off. There's 7 stages, IIRC, so not to be rushed!

Steve
When not using the van do leave them on 24/7 as they only do a good job over a long time.

and they use electrickery too.

Up to 2p per hour surprisingly which equates to £175 pa, a new battery every year might be cheaper.

When not using the van do leave them on 24/7 as they only do a good job over a long time.
The Charger I bought in 2019 was for the car, Trev, so was used sparingly [but handy when Tig was sidelined for 1 month in Spain whilst I popped pills after my heart attack ... Sod's Law being what it is, I hadn't used the car for about 10 days before the heart attack so it was almost 6 weeks with no input!]

The M/Home is managing well with the Solar feeding the LB and David's [Wildebus] AMT12 Refresher/Charger set on power transfer to the VB for 9 seconds in every 10 seconds, Both batteries just over 13v this morning just before I started Brunhilde for the short hop to the MOT Garage

Steve

I'm peeved that the controller I bought isn't fit for purpose in winter when it's most needed, I'm south facing and the van is tilted forward to wards the south, it has the sun on the roof all day when we actualy have any so it should do it's job.

I'm peeved that the controller I bought isn't fit for purpose in winter when it's most needed, I'm south facing and the van is tilted forward to wards the south, it has the sun on the roof all day when we actualy have any so it should do it's job.
I hoped for decent solar input yesterday, Kev, when the sun broke through, knowing that there would be a reasonable amount of stop/starting today with the MOT Test at a garage about 0.6 mile away. Despite the bright sun, the solar struggled to record more than about 11w yesterday and produced only 10Wh of energy. Too low in the sky, and the Panel was just out of the 'firing line', so a 'fingers crossed' exercise for VB level as well as MOT result!

Steve

I checked the volts agian today when I opened the heater valve.

It first said 11.9, WTF, anyway I waited then it said 12.3,4,5,6 so hopefully it's stable at 12.6v for now, it's still not plugged in to EHU.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back