Leaking skylight

CarolynCo

Can anyone help with this? We have a Fiat Ducato 2002 Savannah conversion by IH Leisure. It is absolutely great but the roof light is leaking. There are no obvious drips where the plastic dome cranks open, but the water is accumulating in the carpet covering on the ceiling around one outer corner of the skylight fitting. We don't know the make of the roof light. Has anyone had this problem before and what is the best fix? Many many thanks for any suggestions.

The rooflight needs to be removed, the old sealant removed and the skylight refitted on new sealant.

I have done it a couple of times but it is not a huge cost if a professional does it.

The rooflight needs to be removed, the old sealant removed and the skylight refitted on new sealant.

I have done it a couple of times but it is not a huge cost if a professional does it.
Thank you very much. Would you recommend a particular sealant? Thank you

Sealant is no good for a skylight, you need a ribbon of mastic, but the skylight (Heki) does need to come off and a proper clean of the old stuff or it won't seal properly.

This is what I use, never leaks again if done right.

I have just replaced one of mine that had a small leak it was very brittle when it was removed so I just had it replaced not cheap but it was one of the bigger skylights.

I had one replaced recently problem was getting one a remis 600 x 900 wind up . Cheapest place was autosleeper , paid up front with no delivery date , it had remis printed front right corner .

Sealant is no good for a skylight, you need a ribbon of mastic, but the skylight (Heki) does need to come off and a proper clean of the old stuff or it won't seal properly.

This is what I use, never leaks again if done right.

Thank you very much for this advice. It is very helpful. We are just waiting for the rain to stop now so we can remove the existing and takle a look. But the advice on the mastic is really helpful. We will buy some in readiness for the event! C

I had one replaced recently problem was getting one a remis 600 x 900 wind up . Cheapest place was autosleeper , paid up front with no delivery date , it had remis printed front right corner .
Thank you Molly - this is useful to know. :)

Thanks, I will look up Remis just in case. (y)

It should say on the pane what make and model it is I think.

It should say on the pane what make and model it is I think.
Hmm - we found a panel with some info about use, but no brand or model. But it looks a lot like the HEKI Midi. Perhaps we will find more when we start to remove it? Thank you again.. C

Try posting a picture of it we'll know what it is between us.

If it is a wind up I suspect it's a remis 2 no longer available replaced by remis 3 , 600 x 900 is the hole size , check out you

Youtube for removed for removel videos

Mine was a Dometic Hieki midi £460 to buy including the ribbed roof packing but you need for a panel van.

After you have removed the skylight, thoroughly clean and exceptionally closely inspect the metal edge of the cut line in the roof and you will almost certainly find that it has rusted, in some cases quite badly as the cut edge, which should have been thoroughly cleaned and painted prior to the fitting of the rooflight.

After you have removed the skylight, thoroughly clean and exceptionally closely inspect the metal edge of the cut line in the roof and you will almost certainly find that it has rusted, in some cases quite badly as the cut edge, which should have been thoroughly cleaned and painted prior to the fitting of the rooflight.
Thank you Millie... we will do! When the rain stops! :rolleyes:

Try posting a picture of it we'll know what it is between us.
We are fairly sure it is a Heki 2 deluxe. See pic. Bizarrely it has no make and model number. However, now the rain has stopped we can see black sealant around the outside which is cracked and worn in parts. So wish us luck with a remove and reseal! Any further ti[ps most welcome.

Rooflight-1.jpg

That is exactly the one we have Carolyn.

What you have I'm 99.9% sure is what most of us call a Heki 2, but is in fact a Dometic rooflight.

The info is as I said on the pane, as it is on ours.

1666712264706.jpeg
1666712289692.jpeg
1666712311005.jpeg

It looks exactly the same as mine which is a Dometic heki midi but that model is no longer available but the upgrade is is the same size same opening mechanisms just a lot more squared off.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back