Led rear lights

Sonar

Fitted led rear lights .
The indicators now flash very fast.

The law states between 60 and 120 flashes a minute

How to fool the system that now thinks it has a blown bulb.

Any ideas.

5ohm resister works.
It’s a cluster.
Where would I get some and how to fit them please.

One of the lights have been smashed in by a hit and run driver
Never stopped it was in a car park..
however I have two led lights fitted one yesterday and the lights flashing was to fast.

Seems it went into super fast mode as it detected a broken bulb. Well it’s not there now…

If I could get a small 12 bulb and lens I could fit that and I am sure the problem would be sorted .

As led lights use less power I need to increase the draw to 12 volts a resister seems again the only way.
But can’t say what power is being drawn with the led indecators.

IMG_0539.jpeg

Last edited:

On my Autotrail I use these cluster lights They have a 12v bulb in the middle and therefore everything works fine.
Can’t believe the price nowadays!

On my Autotrail I use these cluster lights They have a 12v bulb in the middle and therefore everything works fine.
Ouch Rog lolol

That gets over the problem.

However a bit pricy.

I had two pairs of these given to me at the start of the year
They were going to be for a boat trailer but were not able to be immersed in water.

Attachments

• IMG_0570.jpeg
    IMG_0570.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 5
It’s a cluster.
Where would I get some and how to fit them please.

One of the lights have been smashed in by a hit and run driver
Never stopped it was in a car park..
however I have two led lights fitted one yesterday and the lights flashing was to fast.

Seems it went into super fast mode as it detected a broken bulb. Well it’s not there now…

If I could get a small 12 bulb and lens I could fit that and I am sure the problem would be sorted .

As led lights use less power I need to increase the draw to 12 volts a resister seems again the only way.
But can’t say what power is being drawn with the led indecators.

View attachment 74161
Not done it for a long time I recall just in the 12v feed wire.

Kev's idea of adding a dummy load resistor would be the cheapest option. You'll need to connect the resistor between ground and the indicator feed. Personally I'd open up the cluster, trace the tracks and solder it inside there but you could fit it externally on the cable coming in.
5 ohms is the nearest preferred value but will dissipate nearly 30 watts while it's on therefore about 15watts overall so will get quite hot especially if/when you sit with the indicator on for a time. A 7.5 ohm would be better and I reckon a 10 ohm would still fool the system. 10 ohms would mean 15watts/7watts overall, a lot cooler, smaller and cheaper. Search on eBay and make sure you don't go lower with the wattage, going higher is ok. You could always just use a bulb of course 😄.

Wish I was clever like wot you am Merlin.

Tbf it was a long time ago, and I took advice from forum member on SBMCC, never a good idea.

Nah, it's a great idea, but me being me my brain immediately goes into "how can I achieve the same results for less faff/money" mode🤣 hence I'd just remove the bulbs and solder them in place!

The total cost of 4 load resisters is under £6.
They can be fixed away from the wiring so hope there not get too hot I have some metal bumper brackets there fix ok the them and the metal
Should also work to act as a heat sink..

Remove the bulbs and solder in place that was my very first thoughts some sort of orange cover over them so the light shows underneath.

But. Decided just to go with the load resistors ..

IMG_0569.jpeg

Kev's idea of adding a dummy load resistor would be the cheapest option. You'll need to connect the resistor between ground and the indicator feed. Personally I'd open up the cluster, trace the tracks and solder it inside there but you could fit it externally on the cable coming in.
5 ohms is the nearest preferred value but will dissipate nearly 30 watts while it's on therefore about 15watts overall so will get quite hot especially if/when you sit with the indicator on for a time. A 7.5 ohm would be better and I reckon a 10 ohm would still fool the system. 10 ohms would mean 15watts/7watts overall, a lot cooler, smaller and cheaper. Search on eBay and make sure you don't go lower with the wattage, going higher is ok. You could always just use a bulb of course 😄.
That explains why the wire is heat resistant then…on the load resistors.

Problem with full led replacement unit is if it goes down which they do then expensive replacement, a led bulb is cheap and easy to carry in tool kit.

Back