Leisure battery choice

Charging a very cold battery can be quite ineffective so a recommended minimum of 0C is not that surprising.
However it is not like Lithium where a recharge under 0C can irreversably damage the battery.

After much chewing the lead I have purchased the ritar 110 lead carbon (from alpha) , I am sure it will be more than enough for most of my needs ,it could fall short for occasional use in winter , if so I can take a second battery .looking forward to the learning curve .
Two s company 3 is a crowd.

A member wrote this about leisure batteries a while ago ( copied and pasted )

wildebus said:
OK. I will give you an real life example involving the popular Banner Bull Batteries vs the Batteries I just got in yesterday to put in my Motorhome - so putting my money where my mouth is ...
Key Features of the two batteries

Banner Bull 100Ah Battery
£120
100Ah @C20 Discharge Rate
24.5Kg
2 Year Warranty
Requires periodic maintanance (topping up of water)
Requires external venting
200 Cycles when taken down to 50% Discharge (so it is expected that you can take out 50Ah 200 times before the performance is notably reduced and likely needs replacing.

12V 100AH RITAR AGM LEAD CARBON ULTRA DEEP CYCLE BATTERY
£190
29Kg
5 Year Warranty
Maintenance Free
No venting required
3000 Cycles when taken down to 50% Discharge (so it is expected that you can take out 50Ah 3,000 times before the performance is notably reduced and likely needs replacing)

So why buy the more expensive battery?
Well, the warranty is twice as long. It requires no maintenance (so pretty well fit & forget) and you can take out 50Ah every day the year for over 8 years. Do that with the Banner Bull battery and you will run out of cycles within 7 months. And the more expensive battery will also not complain too much if you want to take 80Ah or even 90Ah out of the 100Ah battery and still give you nearly 10 times the cycle count the Banner Bull will taking just 50Ah out.

To me, paying an extra £70 for those benefits is a no-brainer.

A member wrote this about leisure batteries a while ago ( copied and pasted )

wildebus said:
OK. I will give you an real life example involving the popular Banner Bull Batteries vs the Batteries I just got in yesterday to put in my Motorhome - so putting my money where my mouth is ...
Key Features of the two batteries

Banner Bull 100Ah Battery
£120
24.5Kg
2 Year Warranty
Requires periodic maintanance (topping up of water)
Requires external venting
200 Cycles when taken down to 50% Discharge (so it is expected that you can take out 50Ah 200 times before the performance is notably reduced and likely needs replacing.

12V 100AH RITAR AGM LEAD CARBON ULTRA DEEP CYCLE BATTERY
£190
29Kg
5 Year Warranty
Maintenance Free
No venting required
3000 Cycles when taken down to 50% Discharge (so it is expected that you can take out 50Ah 3,000 times before the performance is notably reduced and likely needs replacing)

So why buy the more expensive battery?
Well, the warranty is twice as long. It requires no maintenance (so pretty well fit & forget) and you can take out 50Ah every day the year for over 8 years. Do that with the Banner Bull battery and you will run out of cycles within 7 months. And the more expensive battery will also not complain too much if you want to take 80Ah or even 90Ah out of the 100Ah battery and still give you nearly 10 times the cycle count the Banner Bull will taking just 50Ah out.

To me, paying an extra £70 for those benefits is a no-brainer.
Can you point me to the £190 battery you speak of, I cannot find it as an AGM, only a gel and I cannot find one with 3000 cycles. Can you help please.

Can you point me to the £190 battery you speak of, I cannot find it as an AGM, only a gel and I cannot find one with 3000 cycles. Can you help please.
The one I wrote about was only available from Alpha Batteries for a few months before being replaced by the GEL version. The Data Sheet for the GEL version quotes 1500 cycles @ 50% DoD, which is still pretty good for a Lead based battery.

The one I wrote about was only available from Alpha Batteries for a few months before being replaced by the GEL version. The Data Sheet for the GEL version quotes 1500 cycles @ 50% DoD, which is still pretty good for a Lead based battery.
Thank you, I will be gong for the

12v 100AH Leoch Pure AGM Lead Carbon PLH+ C100 Deep Cycle Leisure Battery NCC Class A​

£239 each but worth it I think

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back