Mobility scooter lift for a motorhome

Pudsey Bear

My back is so bad now that lifting the scooter in and out is not going to be an option for much longer, changing vans to one with a garage is out of the question too.

So putting my thinking cap on I wondered if there might be a market for a simple to fit and use one, yes but expensive and way over complicated too.

My thinking is you can get a bar which is designed for doing pullups in a house doorway it just expands to fit and must be strong enough to lift an adult without slipping, with a couple of simple shorts straps one on the bar and another for a scooter with one of these 12v hoists it might be a viable system at a low cost.

Hoist & bar picked at random just to post the idea I'd probably get a a better one, but the scoot only weighs 28kgs so no need to go silly, and it won't get a lot of use.

I'm sure there is a flaw in the idea, but it's not leaping out at me. my only concern would be if the bar might damage the van so a way around that might be to support it on a ply baton at each and so you're not putting too much pressure on the van itself.

You get mobility scooter hoists in mobility vehicles Kev, contact a few of the dealers who resell mobility cars and see if they have any lying around (or due in) they have removed. I suspect a lot will be taken out before resale same as hand controls 👍

I've seen a few and they all seem to be floor and roof mounted so no good for a flimsy coach built van.

I've seen a few and they all seem to be floor and roof mounted so no good for a flimsy coach built van.
You can floor mount okay if you have the space, fit spreader plate. Saying that didn’t you go with a lightweight scooter? If so you may be ok wall mounting with spreader plate. Speak to some hoist manufacturers. Is a simple block and tackle you can clip on somewhere an option? I know I looked at that when I wanted my hand cycle on the rear bike rack but it didn’t work too well unless I had someone to guide the trike while I hoisted it up.
Phil (Admin) I think it was who fitted an electric winch to Annie’s Rapido to load her big mobility scooter. If it wasn’t Phil Annie can probably say who and how it was done 👍

Does the scooter fit in the van !
Do you have a towbar?
Seen quite a few disability scooters mounted onto a wire basket that the Germans use for carrying a deer or boar when they’ve been shooting

my only concern would be if the bar might damage the van so a way around that might be to support it on a ply baton at each and so you're not putting too much pressure on the van itself.

I think this will be the problem, pushing on the frame enough to get a good grip.

Easy lifter might be the way to go, we used one for an electric wheelchair for a while.

Sorry to hear about your back pain, i suffered for abot 25 years or more after being shunted by a transit van doing well above the speed limit as i braked and stopped to get onto the sandyknowes roundabout a half mile from home.
For years i had to attend hospital theripy classes to get some releaf.
Hope you get sorted with a ramp or hoist Pudsey.

Does the scooter fit in the van !
Do you have a towbar?
Seen quite a few disability scooters mounted onto a wire basket that the Germans use for carrying a deer or boar when they’ve been shooting
It sits nicely inside the hab door easily and doesn't move about at all, we have never used hab doors except for loading and unloading and now we park at the other side of the drive to be more level it can't be used for that now. I have tried ramps but it just takes longer which means I have the weight longer and I have to store and mess with the ramps, I have also tried lifting it step to step but again I'm holding too long.

Is a small trailer an option ?
Yes. but then I have to find room for it and it's more cost and harder to manoeuvre we often go down single track dead end roads investigating so I ruled it out.

Photo of the van and the scooter might help as I have carried various scooters in different vans all needed a different take on loading and unloading.
I did a thread when I first got a scooter Annie, I made some ramps to get it in, I posted pictures. I still have the ramps but as I say above they worked but put too much strain on my back and then I have to put the ramps away and then get them out, it was just too much of a PITB, easy if able bodied of course.

We could do with a good disabled forum as there really isn't one out there, I've asked Phil but he didn't seem very keen, or at least he's not said he would or wouldn't so far.

Scooter in van doorway.jpg

I'm still thinking my idea has merit.

I could do with a comment or two about if it's feasible as I think we have covered the alternatives, I've googled it and looked on YouTube but it's all to high tech solutions I'm only wanting to lift 28kg, the bar might be the weak point as it would be a point load so might need to be modified to spread the load sideways.

Looks like roof on the right wall for clipping a small alloy ramp there, you may have to get one hand built for the job.

Looks like roof on the right wall for clipping a small alloy ramp there, you may have to get one hand built for the job.
I have ramps already Trev, no good anymore as my back is worse.

I'm still thinking my idea has merit.

I could do with a comment or two about if it's feasible as I think we have covered the alternatives, I've googled it and looked on YouTube but it's all to high tech solutions I'm only wanting to lift 28kg, the bar might be the weak point as it would be a point load so might need to be modified to spread the load sideways.
They mount bike racks on motorhome composite rear panels that are rated a bit more than that Kev. Spreading the load is the key. That said, my scooter is like Bills, breaks into parts, battery box is heaviest part and that is under 28kilos. Total scooter weight would be more but it’s indivual lift weights giving you the problem linked with size and shale I think isn’t it?

Have you considered ramps ,how would a lift work very little space to manover through a narrow motorhome door I used to dismantle ours and reassemble in the van and strap down

They mount bike racks on motorhome composite rear panels that are rated a bit more than that Kev. Spreading the load is the key. That said, my scooter is like Bills, breaks into parts, battery box is heaviest part and that is under 28kilos. Total scooter weight would be more but it’s indivual lift weights giving you the problem linked with size and shale I think isn’t it?
Yes but the rear panels are reinforced, you can't mount just anywhere, and it fits inside the hab doorways easily, the picture above is of the original one I had last year but I got rid of that the new one is approx the same size and weight, but I too the arms off to lose a bit of weight and they were a pain anyway getting on and off it, this on sits 90 degrees to how it is in the picture and goes through the door easily I put a towel of the dash bit so it doesn't rub itself or the van so no damage in over 2000 miles.

I can lift it with one hand, I used to carry 25kg boxes of paper in each hand with no problem, if I use two hands to lift the scooter I can do it but the pain is too much, I have tried supporting myself and doing it with one hand which is doable but puts me off balance. I have the strength, but it kills my back.

I'm researching this all the time now, not found anything affordable or that I like on the market so far.

A rethink on the bar arrangement a bit of 1'' pipe with a bracket each end with a few screws might be better, with a ring welded midway would easily support 28kg. it'd be about 550-600mm long.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back