Mobility scooter lift for a motorhome

I think my biggest problem is finding a winch/hoist that hangs and is not bolted to a structure.

I think I need professional help, in more ways than one :D :D

Biggest problem with doors and surrounds will be their fitting. The hole is bigger than the door and uses small metal parts to hold it in place. Adding anything to the door frame will just bend it. There is not much in a MH that you could say is a strong fitting.

It won't touch the door or frame, and there will be minimal weight anyway really

Ally A frame bit like a swing frame fixed in place either side and a simple double pull pulley with some 8 mm nylon rope will lift it no problem ! Lift with one hand and guide with the other

I think my biggest problem is finding a winch/hoist that hangs and is not bolted to a structure.

I think I need professional help, in more ways than one :D :D
A set of terfers would do it but manual not electric.

The problem I had with pulleys was I couldn’t manoeuvre trike and control/hold pulleys, a terfer would get round that.

If you are having a bar you can mount an electric winch on that anyway. I used to have a scaffold tube in one of the sheds with a 500kg electric winch from Aldi. Could pick up 850cc Reliant engines no problem and hardly any deviation on the tube. I know that’s a lot heavier duty than you need but just illustrating you can hang the winch grim a bar/tube etc

Ally A frame bit like a swing frame fixed in place either side and a simple double pull pulley with some 8 mm nylon rope will lift it no problem ! Lift with one hand and guide with the other
It wouldn't work for me, I did think of that as said when someone else suggested a pulley, unless it was very low geared it'd be too painful to use, and if it was low geared it'd take too long to raise and lower it, an A frame would just be more to carry around.

A set of terfers would do it but manual not electric.

The problem I had with pulleys was I couldn’t manoeuvre trike and control/hold pulleys, a terfer would get round that.

If you are having a bar you can mount an electric winch on that anyway. I used to have a scaffold tube in one of the sheds with a 500kg electric winch from Aldi. Could pick up 850cc Reliant engines no problem and hardly any deviation on the tube. I know that’s a lot heavier duty than you need but just illustrating you can hang the winch grim a bar/tube etc
I am waiting with baited breath the discover wtf a Terfer is, so is Mr Google :D :D

IMG_4874.jpeg

Lightweight aluminium box section fitted in permanently with drop in bar across the middle the use one of the bike pulley lifters I linked yesterday

That's more complicated than my idea I think plus the point of swing and lift are too far inboard to work.

If you move the pivot point to near the door frame , you can use the rope hoist to straight lift then push in and lower it in place,

I just don't think it will work so low, I am grateful for your and other suggestions but you are essentially making it more difficult to move it in and out of the van as there is no height to swing it out and down, the pivot does need to be near the opening for sure but you also need height above the scooter to fit whatever gubbins I'll need for the hoist (not found one yet) straps etc.

If mounted above the door out of sight almost, it has the advantage that any fixings I need will also be less in your eyeline.
I'll have about 4 feet of swing, not measured yet so could be more or less, I really need to go down and measure up but Liz has bought some stuff when away and it needs to be moved as it in the doorway, I'm not getting involved in that as it will end in tears, probably mine :( :(

I just found this but it's base mounted, so the ply floor would need to be reiniforced or it woudn't work, not bad for the money though to be fair

I think that motorhome usage is usually sorted by having an able-bodied person and or a van with a garage or I think my idea would be in some shape out there to buy as it seems a simple way to do it.

Last edited:
I just found this but it's base mounted, so the ply floor would need to be reiniforced or it woudn't work, not bad for the money though to be fair

I think that motorhome usage is usually sorted by having an able-bodied person and or a van with a garage or I think my idea would be in some shape out there to buy as it seems a simple way to do it.
Our ebikes have a 'walk assist' feature for propelling the bike when walking uphill; the 'walk assist' is throttle operated, so stops when the trottle is released. Would an adapted version be suitable for your scooter, Kev, enabling the ramps to be used?

Steve

This is from the same outfit that sells my scooter, and does what I want but from the floor of a vehicle, it's using a electric hoist it must be quite small to fit under that cover

Our ebikes have a 'walk assist' feature for propelling the bike when walking uphill; the 'walk assist' is throttle operated, so stops when the trottle is released. Would an adapted version be suitable for your scooter, Kev, enabling the ramps to be used?

Steve
Yes, spot on sort Steve, I did the same thing with the last scooter, and it sort of work but was a PITA I had wooden ramps as I had the wood and I had some brackets made to hook onto the step and it was possible to make the scooter drive up the ramps, but it would slip and slide about as it has plastic wheel not rubber so little grip I had to stop doing it though as controlling it was more painful than just lifting the damned thing.

I have just put the phone down to a engineer at a mobility company that designs mobility aids for cars & vans, he's a tugger but he was interested in the concept and thought it would work really well, but for them to make one it would have to conform to certain regs, but we spoke for over half an hour and he put forward some good ideas for a production version and has asked me to join a team that discusses issues that disabled people have, he has a meeting at the end of the month and is going to put forward my idea so the other engineers can see if there would be any point in making one.

Kev, the slipping/sliding could be controlled by gluing some of those 'heavy duty sandpaper' black strips [don't know the technical term/product name!]. An alternative might be a golf cart lithium battery [Alpha had some smaller capacity models that were quite cheap] that could cope with the haul of 29Kg into the Van for the 30 seconds or so duration, and could then recharge from the Solar, possibly with one of David @wildebus AMT12-2?

Steve

I tried that as I had some yellow/black two inch wide stuff., but unless you got all four wheels on the ramps it spun the wheels and that would remove the tread, I've done with ramps and nowhere to carry them now anyway.

Not sure what you mean about the battery???

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back