My van is so appealing.

So let’s just recap a minute, Tezza would rubbing off the top coat to get to the good primer then wrapping be an option? I know vinyl is a lot cheaper than paint and Del is tight.

I am aware that primer is porous so if it was wrapped would you need to seal the edges to prevent moisture getting under if it is an option?

The primer on the body is probably why the top coat is coming off so I would etch prime it first (if it was mine I would go back to bare metal but you will be talking silly money for a body shop to do that) I have no experience of vinyl wrapping Neil so you probably know more than me.
There is no bodywork to repair just prep and respray so I would approach a few bodyshops for quotes and their advice of the best way to tackle it, if you blew the engine you wouldn't quibble at spending 2-3 thousand pounds because it is a nice van and worth it, if it is done without cutting corners it will still look good in ten years, unlike us ?

that's why you rub down any loose paint (as I mentioned).

Unless you are saying you have to remove every inch of the colour coat? I got the impression it is a localised issue and not the entire surface of the vehicle.
Mine started as a localised issue David - just some patches on the bonnet, which is why I had just the bonnet rubbed down and resprayed. I thought that was job done. In the last couple of years, not only has the new paint on the bonnet flaked off in different areas but there are bare primer patches in random areas over the wings now and it's getting worse all the time. I read that this due to the paint/process used on boxers and ducatos for a few years but I can't find the article now... I'll keep searching...

sounds like anyone with a Sevel van will be faced with an inevitable full body respray at some time!

I wonder it if is just the white vans or vans with a metallic finish will also be affected (they may use a different primer and the colour coat will be different technology so might have different adherence properties).

sounds like anyone with a Sevel van will be faced with an inevitable full body respray at some time!

I wonder it if is just the white vans or vans with a metallic finish will also be affected (they may use a different primer and the colour coat will be different technology so might have different adherence properties).
If you do a search it affects all the colours not just white, Peugeot only give a 2yr warranty on paint
It also affects some cars

edit
The Fiat Forum has had a few posts about it over the years

Last edited:
I had this on my 2004 van and again now on my 2010 van so Fiat dont learn quickly. Its a common problem.
As both mine were limited to the roofs i rubbed down the flaking areas until i reached fixed top coat then brushed on hammerite smooth overlapping the edges. I then brushed some touch up paint where it could be seen from the ground.
This worked fine although you always need to be on the lookout for new patches.
Good luck with yours.
K ;)

Interesting thread.

I also have the peeling paint issue (2010 Boxer, White) and want to sort it properly. It's already booked in with Beyond the Van for a re-spray in July.

I had planned on treating the areas affected, but reading this thread tells me this won't solve the issue long term. As I'm also having a re-manufactured engine fitted (not cheap, but should be like a new engine), I want to make sure the finish lasts as well.

On my van, the paint has peeled from the area above the windscreen and above the back doors. It started a few years ago, but has only affected these two areas.

What would be the best way of getting the van ready for it's respray?

Should I sand the whole thing? use some kind of stripper?

Should I take it down to the primer or metal? (the primer is not flaking). Maybe take it down to primer then get Beyond the van to etchcote before painting?

Could do with some good advice on this. I'm fairly handy and have a good selection of tools including a very good Metabo orbital sander (ex kitchen fitter).

Interesting thread.

I also have the peeling paint issue (2010 Boxer, White) and want to sort it properly. It's already booked in with Beyond the Van for a re-spray in July.

I had planned on treating the areas affected, but reading this thread tells me this won't solve the issue long term. As I'm also having a re-manufactured engine fitted (not cheap, but should be like a new engine), I want to make sure the finish lasts as well.

On my van, the paint has peeled from the area above the windscreen and above the back doors. It started a few years ago, but has only affected these two areas.

Should I take it down to the primer or metal? (the primer is not flaking). Maybe take it down to primer then get Beyond the van to etchcote before painting?

Could do with some good advice on this. I'm fairly handy and have a good selection of tools including a very good Metabo orbital sander (ex kitchen fitter).
I wish I could give you some advice. I really don’t know what I’m going to do myself.
If I go for a respray, I’ve got to then sorce replacement Adria decals.
I’m of a mind to monitor future damage over the next year or so. And then use that information to decide then if I can get away with a touch up of the damaged area, or if a respray was really necessary.
Best of luck with yours.

Interesting thread.

I would ask 'Beyond the van' which is the best way for him, if it was mine I would want a bare metal respray but I would be doing it myself so no extra labour costs, the problem if you take it down to bare metal unless it is in a dry environment it will rust within days, he might be happy for you to take it down to the primer because it will save him time but I would ask him first.
If it is a 'random' DA orbital sander it will be good to use but choose the discs for vehicle paint remover, either Amazon/Ebay or a paint supplier such as https://www.jawel.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=64_176&zenid=hef8rlpecp8e0m5vkpmihp9v95

If I go for a respray, I’ve got to then sorce replacement Adria decals.
I’m of a mind to monitor future damage over the next year or so. And then use that information to decide then if I can get away with a touch up of the damaged area, or if a respray was really necessary.

I would imagine any vinyl cutter could replicate your Adria graphics?

Regarding monitoring the damage, mine hasn't changed much in the last few years, since the issue surfaced. In the two areas where the fault has appeared, the areas affected have expanded very slightly, but not any sign of this happening anywhere else on my van. Hopefully yours will be the same.

I would ask 'Beyond the van' which is the best way for him, if it was mine I would want a bare metal respray but I would be doing it myself so no extra labour costs, the problem if you take it down to bare metal unless it is in a dry environment it will rust within days, he might be happy for you to take it down to the primer because it will save him time but I would ask him first.
If it is a 'random' DA orbital sander it will be good to use but choose the discs for vehicle paint remover, either Amazon/Ebay or a paint supplier such as https://www.jawel.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=64_176&zenid=hef8rlpecp8e0m5vkpmihp9v95

I was originally planning on spraying myself. Although I've never sprayed a whole vehicle myself before, I've sprayed panels etc and gotten a great finish. What put me off in the end, was not having anywhere to do the job.

I like your suggestion of asking Beyond the Van. I'll fire off an email this morning, plus get a bit of advice from a local bodyshop. Quite happy to put the work in to get the best finish I can :)

It is a random orbit sander, and I have discs all the way from 40 to 3000. I bought the 2000/3000 discs quite recently for another motorhome related project. This was to see how good it was possible to finish stained plywood with Woca and the like, as not a fan of furniture board. After a few experiments with colour and clean coats, I've gotten a glass like finish that will be going in the refit. Been building a van for someone else lately that gives an idea of the finish I'm after:
IMG_20190603_163203.jpg

IMG_20190430_140927.jpg

One thing I'd like to make very clear. Any reference to Beyond the Van, didn't come from me. I have no idea about the quality of their workmanship, and again, to be clear, other than watching their YouTube video's, I know nothing about them.

Having spent several years serving Queen and country, I've seen enough Nato Green.;)

One thing I'd like to make very clear. Any reference to Beyond the Van, didn't come from me. I have no idea about the quality of their workmanship, and again, to be clear, other than watching their YouTube video's, I know nothing about them.

Having spent several years serving Queen and country, I've seen enough Nato Green.;)

I've been talking to them for about a month about this and happy with the finish they achieve. Looking forward to having it done tbh - should be a fun few days.

Oh, it won't be Nato Green ;)

Paint on my Fiat wagon (2007) seems to be good but not that on the hub caps which I pressure washed, someone on this site suggested it, and the paint started to come off. I stopped immediately ,of course.

I know next to nothing about vinyl or wrapping Tel, was just asking in case it was an option for Del.

I have only done small scale finishing myself with rattle cans. Had some good results and good blending but I wouldn’t get to the roof and survive these days lol

I am going to tackle my door and wheel arch when I eventually get round to it though.

It is a random orbit sander, and I have discs all the way from 40 to 3000. I bought the 2000/3000 discs quite recently for another motorhome related project. This was to see how good it was possible to finish stained plywood with Woca and the like, as not a fan of furniture board. After a few experiments with colour and clean coats, I've gotten a glass like finish that will be going in the refit. Been building a van for someone else lately that gives an idea of the finish I'm after
That looks an excellent finish, such a pity you haven't a place you could spray it yourself

I know next to nothing about vinyl or wrapping Tel, was just asking in case it was an option for Del.

I have only done small scale finishing myself with rattle cans. Had some good results and good blending but I wouldn’t get to the roof and survive these days lol

I am going to tackle my door and wheel arch when I eventually get round to it though.
Wrapping, it seems is not a option I’m told, because the different colours ( white and yellow primer) underneath will show through . Plus the issue of the loose paint.

Same thing's happening to my Jan 2006 Boxer cab. I had the bonnet resprayed a couple of years back but that's coming off again already, as well as areas all over the wings. There's no sign of stone chips or anything... the paint just seems to peel off. The base paint underneath is still intact - a cream colour. Seems to be a really common problem in vans of this age. My plan is to rub it all down and respray at some point, with some expert advice on hand.
get a bonnet bra for the front

Last edited:
get a bonnet bra for the front

Because the meds I've been on for years are now considered to be carcinogenic, they have been changed. One potential side effect of the new ones is, that I may form breasts. Now, Nigel, that's when I would consider a bonnet bra. Might also keep my post lockdown hair in place :sneaky:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back