Next of kin

I wonder if some are missing the point - as lee said we had a new single member with us who collapsed. We only knew his sign on name so when the ambulance centre wanted info we were unable to help. Fortunately he came around and said it was not unusual for him! A note in his visor would have provided this info and stopped us panicking. To use his phone and dial ICE, if he had such a thing, may have caused unnecessary worry to the emergency contact.

Another situation meant I had to poke about in their van for medication to go to A&E.

We are not interested in your personal details, medication and the like and hope we will never have to use it - it will only be necessary to look in the case of an emergency for your own personal well being.

Having been at a meet and had to deal with medical situations twice, having a piece of paper/card with the relevant details on easily accessible would have been really helpful.
To have to rely on getting into a phone and to ring a number, isn't what you need when you have a person in distress and needs medical attention.
As I'm aware the ICE on a phone is just a contact number of a close relative or friend, you don't want to be ringing someone, maybe late at night, to interrogate them about a persons personal details, after which you then need to pass all those details on to say the ambulance centre.

So in my opinion a card in either a prominent position or a predetermined place would be the best.

My next of kin is always with me but I do wonder if he'll go for me or the treats first.

Plenty of companies do flash drives or you can make one up yourself. My son has one which is on a neck chain. Readable are any details you want, personal details, photo, blood group, allergies, next of kin, list is endless. Then there is a password protected part which contains passport details etc etc. He has a ready made bought one. fill in the blanks basically, mainly because a motocross company was doing an offer on them at the time.

Plenty of companies do flash drives or you can make one up yourself. My son has one which is on a neck chain. Readable are any details you want, personal details, photo, blood group, allergies, next of kin, list is endless. Then there is a password protected part which contains passport details etc etc. He has a ready made bought one. fill in the blanks basically, mainly because a motocross company was doing an offer

The problem with electronic devices is, if the incident happen on a campsite, a pub or somewhere else, not many people have the means to read a flash drive.
The thought behind this, is just a simple means of identifying a person with relevant details to help the emergency services.
I understand there are people who don't wish to divulge there details this is their choice and their choice would be respected.

Lee,
As I said earlier my phone gives more than just a contact number. My medical condition and medication is all there to be seen.
I do take your point though....in an emergency you don't want to be searching to find the phone that could be laying anywhere in the van, or in a pocket.
The idea of a card with all the details is a good one.
The problem as I see it is where to display it. Searching for a card behind a cupboard door, hidden behind a sun visor, etc.
Would people want it permanently displayed for all to see?

If people are generally in good health they are unlikely to wear a disc.
Putting the info on the sunvisor could be augmented by putting a notice such as "ICE HERE" at the top of the windscreen with an arrow pointing to the visor?
My Dad thinks he’s in good health, generally, at 80 and will not use / have the pull cord available in his flat nor wear an emergency push button in case he gets in trouble 😕 we however, at 50 + have ice on our phones but I also have Rob’s business card in my purse detailing who to contact & who I am. Rob also has a wrist band while cycling that tells any emergency service who to contact.
Never thought about having extra info in the Moho but maybe I might now 😕

Lee,
As I said earlier my phone gives more than just a contact number. My medical condition and medication is all there to be seen.
I do take your point though....in an emergency you don't want to be searching to find the phone that could be laying anywhere in the van, or in a pocket.
The problem as I see it is where to display it. Searching for a card behind a cupboard door, hidden behind a sun visor, etc.
Hi Allen
I wouldn't want anyone to have the card on display, if this does come to fruition then a place in the van would be recommended, such as behind the passenger visor for example.

Lee,
My wife has one had a medical ID bracelet for years (long before we both got iPhones!). - https://www.theidbandco.com/Medical-Bracelets

Such a sensible idea.
We’ve ICE on our phones. Have completed the medical info on them too.
Will put a slip of paper in wallets.
The piece of paper with details in the motorhome is more of an issue. We have a pulldown visors so that won’t work and I’m not sure somebody would know where to work to look without there being a commonly recognised place. Perhaps scatter a few places, such as glove box, laptop store ...

Such a sensible idea.
We’ve ICE on our phones. Have completed the medical info on them too.
Will put a slip of paper in wallets.
The piece of paper with details in the motorhome is more of an issue. We have a pulldown visors so that won’t work and I’m not sure somebody would know where to work to look without there being a commonly recognised place. Perhaps scatter a few places, such as glove box, laptop store ...
So if you get sick away from the van etc ,then how does that work,neck chain with details or id braclet is by far the best as its on you.

Probably the easiest way would to have a form of some sort that all rally attendees fill out on arrival at the meet and then hand back to one of the stewards , then they can be stored together for the duration of the meet and accessible to all stewards . After the meet they can then be destroyed

Well you learn something everyday ! Didn’t realise I had the ‘ice’ facility on my iPhone so with sons assistance I have put my contact info etc on it.
Even better if you have the watch, you can press a button to alert those contacts if you have fallen or are taken ill amongst other things. The latest one does it all automatically.

Probably the easiest way would to have a form of some sort that all rally attendees fill out on arrival at the meet and then hand back to one of the stewards , then they can be stored together for the duration of the meet and accessible to all stewards . After the meet they can then be destroyed

This seems like the obvious solution - but hand it back at the end of the meet so we can use it again?

My phone isn't locked, my son's number is first on the list 'cos his name begins with A. It's also got my daughter, brother & son's numbers listed as emergency contacts. Best place to look for my name is in my purse - which is never far from me, in pocket or handbag.

I have a Samsung phone
When you bring up your pin code screen you have a button for emergency call when press to call you have a call screen in the bottom left you should have medical info and ice no plus your current medical information

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back