No-contact holidays

• Thread starter Deleted member 5608
  • Start date
I fully understand the temptation to get away from everyone else and be out in the wild.
I am so desperate to get away too but to me the risk is too great.

It's not the risk of catching the virus tho that is the clincher for me.
I saw a post of a motorhome being brought back on a breakdown truck - not an uncommon sight.
The van was fine, it was the plonker of a driver who had gone and broke his arm !!

I am not prepared to take the risk of possibly adding to the strain that our NHS is under by going out and about.
I know I could have the same accident at home - but I reckon the strain would be less.

So I will resist the temptation and stay at home - till i am told otherwise !

Just read something. A guy who lives in the village of Glencoe has posted about a few vans parking up near the ski centre people going hill walking and climbing from these vans he’s absolutely raging and telling then to leave and go home. Don’t know if he’s right or wrong but his point was what if one of these climbers walkers gets hurt and need rescuing. it’s a long way to a hospital and would take up precious resources.
He's right Wully. Hills are still in winter condition, with cold overnight temps. A mountain rescue callout involves mobilising at least a dozen MR volunteers, then possibly a helo plus ambulance and the hospital care beyond that. People really do need to consider this - they're not immune; and if they are then Italy and the rest of the world would love know their secret.

We're about to head out for a few days' holiday -- or, as I described it to friends, "self-isolating In the middle of a field" -- and I was calling around to see if campsites were open. Most of them were, and I was particularly taken with the cheery lady at Clover Fields (near Buxton).

"Oh yes", she said, "we're calling it 'no-contact visits'. I've been around the site and worked out the only real place we're vulnerable, which is the entry keypad on the gate, so we'll make sure there are sanitary wipes available there. And for those who need the facilities, we're using an extra layer of bleach in all our cleaning."

They could accept payments over the phone, and send guest information by email as a PDF.

I admired her marketing and told her so. "Two other big sites have already copied and pasted my text from Facebook!", she said.

It made me realise how fortunate we are to be able to go out and still stay pretty much isolated, when most people would find holidays impossible.

But since many of the places we would normally go on such trips -- art galleries, cafes, pubs -- will be closed, and we'll probably be entirely self-catering in a little VW van, we're expecting to do more short trips, rather than a few longer ones, in the coming months!

we have cancelled our stay at a CL just a day before they and club sites have all been closed . we have our holiday let next door - and we were surprised that april bookings still on -expecting ppl to cancel at any moment - yesterday we shut it for 12 weeks. the risk of people from outside the area bringing the virus in is too great.

My message to everyone on here is STAY AWAY FROM HIGHLAND SCOTLAND!
There is a real problem at the best of times with the volume of traffic on the NC 500 which has been exploited by a small number of businesses to the detriment of the north. Now we are inundated with hoardes of vanners from the south and others with no thought of the welfare of the locals. We do not have food to feed you. If you do get ill we have just 30 intensive care beds in Highland, not all of which have ventilators, so you would have a reduced chance of survival. We are almost embarrassed right now to be vanners and would certainly not take ours out just now! I beg you to think of others as well as yourselves and if you are self isolating, STAY AT HOME. Thank you.

Hello All -

Well, since my original post, which started this thread, we did do a trip, but it was very short: one night in the Yorkshire Dales, one in the Lakes, and one in Derbyshire on the way home. We managed to avoid pretty much all human contact or even proximity!

But we cut the trip short, mostly because of sub-zero temperatures each night.

Still, the advice has become more explicit about these areas since our departure, even if it is often talking about people queueing up for fish and chip shops or crowding into popular locations. We were mostly walking up peaceful hidden valleys or around the outside of closed castles, maintaing an inter-personal distance of about quarter of a mile. :)

Still it's probably a good thing that we're back home! We'll stay here for the time being. :)

Quentin

I have a very long list of CL sites throughout the country which are all rural and all of which have very well spaced out pitches, so the only places on these sites where you are likely to touch anything that someone else has touched are the EHU points if you need them (we don't), the fresh water point and of course the waste disposal point which for me isn't a problem as I always wear elbow length gloves when emptying.

Whenever we go away we always start out from home with at least 6 days supply of food and drink, so for the time being all of our trips will be governed by the amount of food we can stash away on-board.

So as I believe it is essential for our minds to keep physically active, until such time as we are instructed not to we will be continuing to go to CL sites just as long as they are large ones (acreage) and are very rural.
I read two days ago a very articulate post on FB from a medical person from the far north. possibly Wick. The gist was this. They have one ambulance and if it is required it takes the casualty to Inverness, a five hour trip. If not immediately needed back at Wick the vehicle is deployed around Inverness then returns to Wick. So if others arrive and have accidents t pus an immense strain on a very fragile service.
The bottom line people is the best thing we can do is to observe the official advice and NOT travel. For the above reasons, the Outer Isles have asked everyone to stay away. It's simple. DON'T travel. We would love to get away but we are staying put. So ask yourself is your journey needed or are you being selfish?
At last! Someone with sense. Reading previous messages on this post. I cannot believe how selfish you are being. Yes, I understand self isolation is not something I'm looking forward to, but it is a necessity if I want to have a good chance of being able to avoid C-19. I'd rather be safe than sorry, plus not feel guilty by putting extra strain on the already stretched resources.
STAY HOME, STAT SAFE, STAY AWAY FROM OTHER AREAS!

My message to everyone on here is STAY AWAY FROM HIGHLAND SCOTLAND!
There is a real problem at the best of times with the volume of traffic on the NC 500 which has been exploited by a small number of businesses to the detriment of the north. Now we are inundated with hoardes of vanners from the south and others with no thought of the welfare of the locals. We do not have food to feed you. If you do get ill we have just 30 intensive care beds in Highland, not all of which have ventilators, so you would have a reduced chance of survival. We are almost embarrassed right now to be vanners and would certainly not take ours out just now! I beg you to think of others as well as yourselves and if you are self isolating, STAY AT HOME. Thank you.
Quite right. Personally in Inverness I have 2 people at risk. I would be so angry if my 86 year old mother took ill and lost out on one of the 30 beds to a non resident.
I'll keep saying this again and again on every post I see - STAY AWAY, STAY AT HOME.

Having considered all the views expressed here and on WC we have decided not to go out. I’m certain that to have done so wouldn’t have posed any danger to us or anyone else, but can see that some may resent us being out in a motorhome at this time. I certainly feel that anyone who does take a trip out should not feel bad about doing so, after all the clubs are still pushing their sites as being open. Maybe we’ll have a night in it in the garden!
Thank you Bill & Suzie 👌🌹

Quite right. Personally in Inverness I have 2 people at risk. I would be so angry if my 86 year old mother took ill and lost out on one of the 30 beds to a non resident.
I'll keep saying this again and again on every post I see - STAY AWAY, STAY AT HOME.

Please don’t, you are starting to dilute the message, if you trawl through all the related threads you’ll find that everyone on here is now on board. It’s the ones that we aren’t reaching that are the problem and I don’t know how to get to them short of a police visit. That said, if someone posts that they are carrying on, then by all means, both barrels .................

At last! Someone with sense. Reading previous messages on this post. I cannot believe how selfish you are being.

Just a reminder, for anyone new to this thread, that it started several days ago, and a lot can change in several days!

In our own particular case:
  • we were more self-isolating in our van than we would have been at home (because, for example, we were walking our dog in less busy areas, and when we needed food we bought it in less-crowded shops)
  • we were not in a high-risk group ourselves, nor do we come from an area with a high incidence rate.
  • we were never more than a day's drive from home, and we would certainly have come back at the first sign of symptoms, so we would not have used any different medical facilities or put any pressure on those in remote locations.
So I believe we were not being irresponsible or selfish.

Having said all of that, that was Wednesday, and it's now Monday, and I wouldn't start on the same trip again now. :)

Just a reminder, for anyone new to this thread, that it started several days ago, and a lot can change in several days!

In our own particular case:
  • we were more self-isolating in our van than we would have been at home (because, for example, we were walking our dog in less busy areas, and when we needed food we bought it in less-crowded shops)
  • we were not in a high-risk group ourselves, nor do we come from an area with a high incidence rate.
  • we were never more than a day's drive from home, and we would certainly have come back at the first sign of symptoms, so we would not have used any different medical facilities or put any pressure on those in remote locations.
So I believe we were not being irresponsible or selfish.

Having said all of that, that was Wednesday, and it's now Monday, and I wouldn't start on the same trip again now. :)

Because some have ignored advice, I think that it is inevitable that legislation restricting movement will be introduced very soon. We’ll all have to get used to the fact that life as we knew it has changed in a big way, probably for a considerable time.

Those motorhomers who continue to travel are giving us all a bad name. There's plenty of folk who already don't particularly like some of us, sometimes with good reason, and selfish travelling to remote areas just gives them more ammunition. It also applies to 2nd homers and the like.

Perception is very important.

I hope that when I drive home to Scotland from Hull on (probably) Friday you don't all condem me. Lots of winter campers have made or are making their way back from Spain & Portugal as where we staying have chucked us off. We have no choice but to travel.
If the population here in Spain and France would be heavily fined for doing what people in the UK did this weekend.

I hope that when I drive home to Scotland from Hull on (probably) Friday you don't all condem me. Lots of winter campers have made or are making their way back from Spain & Portugal as where we staying have chucked us off. We have no choice but to travel.
If the population here in Spain and France would be heavily fined for doing what people in the UK did this weekend.
I think that comes under the heading "essential travel". So not a problem.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back