No-contact holidays

• Thread starter Deleted member 5608
  • Start date
Such a shame! Shouldn't have been impracticable, if people had used common sense, and kept distance, cancelled visit when obvious car parks full etc but....

The problem is that not one of these organisations knew what total, complete and utter, selfish, friggin stupid idiots so many of the British public are!

I have a perfect example of a SAS living next door to me, shaved head, long shaggy beard, body that is covered from head to foot in tatoos and with 2 of the most screaming and generally uncontrollable and objectionable brats you could ever meet, for them now as a family it is holiday time as they charge off each day with their packed picnic baskets, heading for Rutland Water or similar such places!! No one can ever talk to him as he has the shortest and most violent of tempers.

Unfortunately a number of ignorant idiots don't listen. Pity we can't exclude them from treatment in the NHS if and when they might need it.

Well it seems the instruction to "stay at Home" can be interpreted if you have a motorhome. From what the prime minister said on Monday night 23rd March I don't think the Motor "home" argument will wash with the police as being a necessary journey.

It seems to me that Motorhomes ( or towing caravans ) are going to be a very obvious sign that people are not staying home at their primary residence. The police will ANPR you to see the address where the motorhome is registered and then stop you and send you back to your brick built residence....possibly with a fine.

The Welsh and lake district tourist board are telling people to stay away and the police are going to close campsites so I can't see any point in going anywhere.

The public in other countries have accepted instructions to STAY AT HOME , why can't we Brits do the same ? How bad does it need to get before we comply ? Do we need to get like Italy with 6000 dead so far and accelerating ?
When ALL the ventilator beds are full, infected people will die waiting for one in normal ward beds.

Last edited:
Yes its a big bonus having a van just now. Reckon I could self isolate better in the bus than I can at home....

Do you think your argument will wash with the police when they stop you on the road ? Camper vans and MH's will stand out like a sore thumb for police questions like.
Policeman - "Hello Sir, what is the reason for your journey" ?
You - "I'm self isolating"
Policeman - Pardon sir ?

big top up to the police fund when they start handing out all the fines to all i know better than the nhs ps it will pay there wages 😂😂😍

Motorhome.com isn’t it about time you took notice of what the government is telling us all. “Essential travel only” that is not having just a few days away in a quiet spot. It’s irresponsible and stupid. You should stay at home and protect yourself and most importantly protect the emergency services workers because one day soon when you need them they might be out of reach attending to some selfish bugger who has gone to sit in a field miles from anywhere and they have become very ill.

I am offshore at moment but will return to the shore in a week or so. I live full time in my van and have a small bit of land in a remote area of North Scotland. When there I might not speak to another person for weeks. If I go there, which I call home, people would be thinking me a selfish fool. To my way of thinking I would be away from everyone, would not be in shops. If I spoke to another person it would be there fault for stopping and speaking to me. I feel I will have to stay in a built up area near lots of people because the public opinion would be against me. When no one would be bothered to find my reasons for being in my only real home

Do you think your argument will wash with the police when they stop you on the road ? Camper vans and MH's will stand out like a sore thumb for police questions like.
Policeman - Pardon sir ?

It’s not just the obvious target, my daughter is a key worker in education working from home. One of her schools reported that two members of staff were stopped by the police this morning and quizzed as to why they were out and where they were going.

I live full time in my van and have a small bit of land in a remote area of North Scotland. When there I might not speak to another person for weeks.

In this current situation, there will always be exceptions to the rules, as such I very much share your concern and thoughts.

No doubt, in you case @Dex all the local people and more than likely the police as well will know who you are and why you are there parked up on your private bit of remotely located land, as such, I wouldn't worry about the situation too much.

Good luck to you

Phil

Reactions: Rec
I don't get it at all. Driving your motorhome anywhere is non essential travel in my book. Stay at home.
My campervan ( VW T4) is my only everyday transport I don't own a car. I hope the police don't stop me too many times on my way to the supermarket. :)

My campervan ( VW T4) is my only everyday transport I don't own a car. I hope the police don't stop me too many times on my way to the supermarket. :)
I'm in the same boat as you,I've made a laminated sign for the windscreen of my PVC for when I park at the shops. It reads"I am a local out shopping.This is my only vehicle. I am not on tour !"

I don't often reply to threads but in this case I feel I must.
Let me tell you my situation. I am retired, I converted my Sprinter van and finished it some months ago. I have no dependants in this country, my son lives in N. Zealand and I very few friends. I was living in a static caravan for a few years and now I have sold it to live in my camper.
This was all before the virus became common knowledge.
Please tell me what I can do to satisfy those who would have me castrated for living in a camper now that I am retired.

I don't often reply to threads but in this case I feel I must.
Let me tell you my situation. I am retired, I converted my Sprinter van and finished it some months ago. I have no dependants in this country, my son lives in N. Zealand and I very few friends. I was living in a static caravan for a few years and now I have sold it to live in my camper.
This was all before the virus became common knowledge.
Please tell me what I can do to satisfy those who would have me castrated for living in a camper now that I am retired.

I think that there is sympathy here for the situation that you find yourself in. Maybe some helpful info for you in threads Here and Here.
Plenty of advice to be had here and on WC, just ask. Hope that you can sort something out.

I don't see much in the way of advice in this thread. I only see selfish Motorhomers who think they are above the law and any advice given by government officials doesn't apply to them. Yes there are a few who have to move, but they are the exception. So BLOODY WELL stay at home, and then enjoy it when the threat of dying from this is over.

Policeman - Pardon sir ?
So you're advising me that I shouldn't be in my bus, while at the same time you're out & about in your t4!
For what its worth, my bus hasn't turned a wheel since this shitstorm began. I was referring to staying in my bus where it is parked, on private land away from everyone. Maybe you should park your camper up till its all over....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back