Oops.

Iā€™ll remove from MH and repair, just in case earth return lead screws up MH electrics.

Been washing MH and got a better look at my metal bending skills, looks like 22.5 degree to me šŸ˜³

Iā€™ll remove from MH and repair, just in case earth return lead screws up MH electrics.
View attachment 64113
A bit late now but I looked into welding on vehicles a few years ago and basically depending what you're doing there is no need to isolate at all, and for that bumper, it could have stayed on the reason being electricity will take the very shortest path so long as it has a good earth point for the clamp then it will not go any further, having said that if it's easy to remove then it's easier to work at a batter height and you can position the weld run better plus give it a good clean up prior to repainting.

A bit late now but I looked into welding on vehicles a few years ago and basically depending what you're doing there is no need to isolate at all, and for that bumper, it could have stayed on the reason being electricity will take the very shortest path so long as it has a good earth point for the clamp then it will not go any further, having said that if it's easy to remove then it's easier to work at a batter height and you can position the weld run better plus give it a good clean up prior to repainting.
The person responsible for coating the fish at our chippie works at a batter height ... šŸ¤­

Steve

Many year ago I bought a Mariner short shaft outboard for my RHIB, I got it for not a lot of money in real terms, due to a large chunk of the port side anti-cavitation plate broken due to a mishap I guess, and outboard housing are cast alloy. I did make a big fuss about repair cost to employ a welder.

Engine purchased for much cheapness, I took it to work to repair. Earth return clamped close the repair area, I arced up (TIG) when I finished the tack, I nearly died with the reek within my welding bay. the various cables that were protected with a plastic coating, same as bike cables, the plastic melted. All due to the earth return lead. To separate the bottom part of the engine would be a pain, gearbox etc down there.

Engine worked fine and served me well for many years, no damage other than melted plastic, so with this experience, I always err on the safe side, hence rear guard removal, which was actually for the best, as the welding was not very good, it is now, though!

In a couple of weeks time Sue and I are off to Penwortham again to do a bit of gardening for Sueā€˜s dad - be warned Graham (Wooie) weā€™ll be just round the corner from you. On the way back if our daughter will allow us weā€™re planning on staying over in Penicuik so that we can go to the Great British Food Festival in Dalkeith Country Park (as well as seeing daughter!) on 10th or 11th September. So be warned Terry (Runnach) I may well be peering (NOT peeing) over the wall to look at that bumper welding and paintwork job!!
PS went for the Hyundai 40v ā€stealthā€ chainsaw because it has a more powerful motor but mainly because I can get a spare battery!

In a couple of weeks time Sue and I are off to Penwortham again to do a bit of gardening for Sueā€˜s dad - be warned Graham (Wooie) weā€™ll be just round the corner from you. On the way back if our daughter will allow us weā€™re planning on staying over in Penicuik so that we can go to the Great British Food Festival in Dalkeith Country Park (as well as seeing daughter!) on 10th or 11th September. So be warned Terry (Runnach) I may well be peering (NOT peeing) over the wall to look at that bumper welding and paintwork job!!
PS went for the Hyundai 40v ā€stealthā€ chainsaw because it has a more powerful motor but mainly because I can get a spare battery!
Tony, make sure you are wearing sunglasses when viewing the paintwork, without them you will be blinded!

I didn't know there was a food festival on within the park, we were at a previous one, was really good and interesting, especially the gin stalls.

Have fun with the stealth chainsaw, if heating costs keep creeping up, I predict much of Scotland will mirror Orkeny and Shetland...............Treeless.

Many year ago I bought a Mariner short shaft outboard for my RHIB, I got it for not a lot of money in real terms, due to a large chunk of the port side anti-cavitation plate broken due to a mishap I guess, and outboard housing are cast alloy. I did make a big fuss about repair cost to employ a welder.

Engine purchased for much cheapness, I took it to work to repair. Earth return clamped close the repair area, I arced up (TIG) when I finished the tack, I nearly died with the reek within my welding bay. the various cables that were protected with a plastic coating, same as bike cables, the plastic melted. All due to the earth return lead. To separate the bottom part of the engine would be a pain, gearbox etc down there.

Engine worked fine and served me well for many years, no damage other than melted plastic, so with this experience, I always err on the safe side, hence rear guard removal, which was actually for the best, as the welding was not very good, it is now, though!
So easy to take the box of LOL.
What on earth is a rhib, I know about ribs and inflatable dingies but that has me stumped.
Dingies use short shaft and ribs a long.
:unsure:

RHIB = Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat. Shame on you Trev, you should have known this fundamental acronym, go stand on the naughty step for an hour.

I made a bracket up from 6mm marine grade alloy to compensate and adapt the short shaft engine, which of course was fitted to transom. Worked well, eventually we shifted to another RHIB, which was a redundant offshore platform rescue RHIB, 5.5 metre Avon Sea Rider, all bells and whistles, A-frame with nav lights, self righting bag, etc...............

So easy to take the box of LOL.
What on earth is a rhib, I know about ribs and inflatable dingies but that has me stumped.
Dingies use short shaft and ribs a long.
:unsure:
Wondered why I felt so at home in a dinghy ... šŸ¤­

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back