Our new little van

Just a suggestion , it might be worth your while to fit a momentry switched contacter /relay to give you a high ampage connection between hab batteries and chassis batteries . This will enable a instant jump start should you accidentally discharge your chassis batteries . They have this facility on a lot of American RV's . Dont forget the voltage difference when wiring .

T
Just a suggestion , it might be worth your while to fit a momentry switched contacter /relay to give you a high ampage connection between hab batteries and chassis batteries . This will enable a instant jump start should you accidentally discharge your chassis batteries . They have this facility on a lot of American RV's . Dont forget the voltage difference when wiring .

Thanks. The hab is 12V, engine 24V. So the best I could do is use the inverter to produce 240V from the hab batteries, and connect the 24V charger to that. I have that option, with the way it's currently hooked up by removing the mains plug from that socket and plugging into another.

As many of you know, our boy - Tommy has duchenne muscular dystrophy. It's a muscle wasting condition, and he's got to the point where he was really struggling with the steps into our sprinter. So, we've bought something a little bigger with a wheelchair lift....

View attachment 41622

It was a mobile youth centre, I've kept the lounge area that was fitted and the kitchen sink. For the rest, I've been busy! It already had 2 erberspachers and a massive generator off of the main diesel tank, but no leisure batteries and mostly 240v lighting.

Here is how it sits now, but I've still got plenty to do!

View attachment 41623

This is from our bed/lounge. Sliding door to kitchen, then door to bathroom, then door to Tommy's room. Looking the other way:

View attachment 41624

Tommy's room:

View attachment 41625View attachment 41626

In process of fitting the boiler for on-demand hot water. That will be one cupboard, and a wardrobe for his crap on the left.

More to follow...
That's an amazing van st3v3 I'm sure Tommy appreciates the extra space. Did you post a video on YouTube? I think I remember watching it . Just the job mate. WillyO.

That's an amazing van st3v3 I'm sure Tommy appreciates the extra space. Did you post a video on YouTube? I think I remember watching it . Just the job mate. WillyO.

Cheers. We try and make sure he's not always shut away on his own - especially as he had his xbox and wifi this time - but it is nice for him to have his space. No YouTube I remember mate lol.

I've fitted an access panel to the back, to get to the storage area under the bed. There will be another on the other side, when I get it.

20190225_171917.jpg

I had a little supervision...

20190225_170710.jpg

Does the boss travel with you? (Mine brought in a little Hare in today! biggest thing she has ever caught. Being a wimp, I took it to the vet for a checkover as didn't seem injured far as I could tell)

Does the boss travel with you? (Mine brought in a little Hare in today! biggest thing she has ever caught. Being a wimp, I took it to the vet for a checkover as didn't seem injured far as I could tell)

Not yet....

She didn't show much interest in the last van, but is all over this one. Our problem would be if she wanders off when we need to be back for work/school. As soon as that's not a problem I'd take cats, no worries.

Trying to do a few bits...

Carpet laid properly with underlay and gripper rods lol. Cheers Craig :)

20190302_111408.jpg

Also cut an access hole for her knicker storage lol.

20190302_111417.jpg

Yet another USB. For him whilst travelling.

20190302_111848.jpg

Pulled the dash apart to find out why the factory 12V socket wasn't working. Found a few previous bodged bits...

20190302_112045.jpg

Fun and games!

My geek cupboard is taking shape :)20190305_184157.jpg

Left to right:

Interface from victron inverter/charger to usb.
Raspberry Pi, with interface from victron battery monitor plugged in.
A power switch (12V)
Ubiquity wifi router that has an input from the high power aerial on the roof.

All works a treat, thanks to Phil for our club discount with onboardenergy, and wildebus for setup pointers :)

No thanks to Phil for suggesting victron stuff in the first place and emptying my wallet lol

This gives loads of battery and power usage available from anywhere* like:

Screenshot_20190303-145658_Chrome.jpg

History graphs available too, this is my domestic 240V fridge turned on this morning
Screenshot_20190306-220448_VRM.jpg

Had a little time today, so moved the reversing camera screen from on the dash up to above the windscreen.

20190307_160634.jpg

Put a usb in the storage box above that

20190307_175532.jpg

To power a camera at the back of the cab so boy can have a forward view, if he wants.

20190307_180237.jpg

And a hard wired usb/cig lighter to power phone and dashcam

20190307_180218.jpg

Not a bad couple of hours :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back