Park up views the good, bad, ugly

I predict Scotland will go same as England and Wales for WC???
It has already happened on Mull. As soon as you get onto ferry they hand leaflet over titled Campervans and Motorhome information. That says there is no such thing as Wild Camping in Scotland in a Campervan or Motorhome. The Scottish Outdoor Access Code specifically excludes motorized access. Interesting read but it does make sense. We've seen locations where people have stayed several nights and even set up windbreaks. It's destroyed things for us who might simply need somewhere to hide away overnight as too late to get in a campsite.

I think that the UK has many places with views to beat anything that Mainland Europe has to offer.

I fully agree with you Bill, but views aren’t everything. Luckily because a lot of my career was spent overseas Sue and I between us can passably speak several European languages. Why we love to travel abroad is to meet new people and learn about their lives. In more than 15 years of taking our motorhome abroad we have some tremendous memories, both sad and happy. We have made loads of new foreign friends, some of whom we have stayed with in their own homes, some of whom have stayed with us at home as well and we are still in regular email contact with most of them and others as well.
Some of our memories are:
- sitting for more than 3 hours in the rain at Quarres Les Tombes speaking French to a poor man who was intent on ending his life. We still speak to him today.
- Inviting a couple of newly wed Czechs into our van in Croatia and hearing how they had been attacked by a bear in the nearby national forest.
- sitting talk to a nun who had arrived in full habit to change into a bikini for a swim in the Adriatic
- sitting in an oyster bar in Brittany and shaking hands with some sapeurs pompiers wishing us bon appetit as they passed us on the way to treat somebody who had collapsed
- meeting a shop keeper in Brittany who insisted on playing the bagpipes for us
- chatting to pilgrims in Vezelay who were struggling up the hill with their wheeled crosses.

These are just a few examples of why we love to set off overseas into the unknown for 2 or 3 months each year.

Tony

I fully agree with you Bill, but views aren’t everything. Luckily because a lot of my career was spent overseas Sue and I between us can passably speak several European languages. Why we love to travel abroad is to meet new people and learn about their lives. In more than 15 years of taking our motorhome abroad we have some tremendous memories, both sad and happy. We have made loads of new foreign friends, some of whom we have stayed with in their own homes, some of whom have stayed with us at home as well and we are still in regular email contact with most of them and others as well.
Some of our memories are:
- sitting for more than 3 hours in the rain at Quarres Les Tombes speaking French to a poor man who was intent on ending his life. We still speak to him today.
- Inviting a couple of newly wed Czechs into our van in Croatia and hearing how they had been attacked by a bear in the nearby national forest.
- sitting talk to a nun who had arrived in full habit to change into a bikini for a swim in the Adriatic
- sitting in an oyster bar in Brittany and shaking hands with some sapeurs pompiers wishing us bon appetit as they passed us on the way to treat somebody who had collapsed
- meeting a shop keeper in Brittany who insisted on playing the bagpipes for us
- chatting to pilgrims in Vezelay who were struggling up the hill with their wheeled crosses.

These are just a few examples of why we love to set off overseas into the unknown for 2 or 3 months each year.

Tony
I used to travel for my job, Africa, Middle East and far East, it was fantastic to experience other cultures, foods , customs etc I still love to travel . Uk has many beautiful places but so does Europe.

Great memories, I’m sure that you’ll meet similarly interesting folk in the Uk, perhaps with the exception of ones who have been chased by bears!

I find that if you greet people with a smile you can find interesting people to talk to anywhere. Currently in France and,while my french is schoolboy I have had great conversations with about three nationalities while trying to fix someone else’s electrical problems. People always reply to a smile with a smile.

I know a good few folks on Mull, a great deal of the locals have had their patience tried to the hilt with the amount of MH's/campers flooding the island. Not surprised these steps are being implemented. It will only get worse, I predict regulation being put in place, soon?
It does need to be regulated and ensure if folk do want to 'wild' then they get the permission but quite frankly there are enough camp sites around with a new one just south of Salen just off edge of the main road. The island isn't big enough to warrant any more really but we were shocked when we arrived in Tobermory waiting for the ferry to Kilchoan. It was the one day we had rain and it was pouring and we needed gaz. A crsuie ship had arrived and Tobermory was swamped by 1800 tourists, mostly old biddies in plastic maps wandering round like headless chickens....nightmare trying to park without running anyone over. Yes good for tourism but the impact on the town with that number was beyond comprehension

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back