Pet passports

Ok so the British 3 year rabies jab won't be accepted in EU ?
ALPHA told me that the rabies has to be administered in EU or the EU pet passport is invalidated.
Follow a FB group (roadtrip Greece to UK) and a couple travelled from UK to France a couple of days ago with greek pet passports, no AHC, and all good. I believe having an EU address is important, but I wonder if the border control will start to verify this at some point...?

It depends which brand of vaccine is used by the vet as to whether it will last 3 years or not. The UK vets use, I think, Nobivac and that has a 3 year durability. EU vets may not use the same brand and so it may need a yearly booster.

Not sure I can see how a dog passport can help you get around the 90/180 rule.
I was commenting, tongue firmly in cheek, on the original post saying that the OP's dog had got a Spanish passport and that all the Brits on the site were getting them too.

Not sure how relevant or accurate this is, but makes interesting reading if you are living in the Uk and have if are thinking of getting an EU passport. It appears a little non committal!

“A vet in Normandy told us she is happy to issue them for British second-home owners for €15 plus a €30 consultation. They need papers showing microchipping and rabies jabs.

However, an EU source directed us to a ‘notice on travelling’ the European Commission issued which, at 5.1.1, says: “the EU pet passport issued to a pet owner resident in Great Britain will [after Brexit] no longer be a valid document for travelling with a pet from Great Britain to the EU”. The source said “the place of residence is determinant”. Asked about the legal force of this with regard to a UK resident obtaining a French passport, he said he could add nothing, but suggested speaking to UK and French authorities.

The EU pet passport contains a section for the owner’s address.

The source said the Commission placed the UK on list 2 due to the fact that list 1 is for countries which are fully applying its animal health regulations, such as Switzerland and Norway. It is seen as a “Schengen Zone for pets”.

France’s Agriculture Ministry told us it would be acceptable for a second-home owner to obtain a French passport if only EU vets do the pet’s rabies jabs.

Asked if the UK government would object to UK residents using French pet passports, a Defra (agriculture ministry) spokesman said they continue to recognise pet passports issued by EU member states but we should also check with France.

AHCs are only valid for four months, raising questions for people who obtain five or six-month visas.

A UK government source said if one expires, owners should obtain a health certificate from a vet in France to enable return.

The source added they would suggest taking advice from a vet in the UK before travel or to speak to a French vet about the feasibility of a French passport.

If a pet already has an EU-issued passport, this can be used for travel into the UK, the source said, but owners should ensure UK-based vets have “no input into the passport”, as this might invalidate it.

A UK government spokeswoman said: “We are clear that we meet all the animal health requirements for Part 1 listed status and will continue to press the Commission on this.

“We have one of the most rigorous pet-checking regimes in Europe and among the highest standards of biosecurity in the world.”

Not sure how relevant or accurate this is, but makes interesting reading if you are living in the Uk and have if are thinking of getting an EU passport. It appears a little non committal!

“A vet in Normandy told us she is happy to issue them for British second-home owners for €15 plus a €30 consultation. They need papers showing microchipping and rabies jabs.

However, an EU source directed us to a ‘notice on travelling’ the European Commission issued which, at 5.1.1, says: “the EU pet passport issued to a pet owner resident in Great Britain will [after Brexit] no longer be a valid document for travelling with a pet from Great Britain to the EU”. The source said “the place of residence is determinant”. Asked about the legal force of this with regard to a UK resident obtaining a French passport, he said he could add nothing, but suggested speaking to UK and French authorities.

The EU pet passport contains a section for the owner’s address.

The source said the Commission placed the UK on list 2 due to the fact that list 1 is for countries which are fully applying its animal health regulations, such as Switzerland and Norway. It is seen as a “Schengen Zone for pets”.

France’s Agriculture Ministry told us it would be acceptable for a second-home owner to obtain a French passport if only EU vets do the pet’s rabies jabs.

Asked if the UK government would object to UK residents using French pet passports, a Defra (agriculture ministry) spokesman said they continue to recognise pet passports issued by EU member states but we should also check with France.

AHCs are only valid for four months, raising questions for people who obtain five or six-month visas.

A UK government source said if one expires, owners should obtain a health certificate from a vet in France to enable return.

The source added they would suggest taking advice from a vet in the UK before travel or to speak to a French vet about the feasibility of a French passport.

If a pet already has an EU-issued passport, this can be used for travel into the UK, the source said, but owners should ensure UK-based vets have “no input into the passport”, as this might invalidate it.

A UK government spokeswoman said: “We are clear that we meet all the animal health requirements for Part 1 listed status and will continue to press the Commission on this.

“We have one of the most rigorous pet-checking regimes in Europe and among the highest standards of biosecurity in the world.”
The whole thing is a mess . Got a new rabies jab [ahead of schedule] last year anticipating I would be able to travel to mainland Europe .
Passport wasn't stamped at the time as the qualified vet wasn't available . Had an appointment yesterday for this to be done only to be told it would be illegal to do it ! Also told dog would need to be wormed before it travelled to France . Can't see this anywhere . Yes I'm in the process of changing vet .
Don't know cost of AHC ? Getting an EU passport and vaccinating every year is , perhaps , more expensive ?

Our vet hasn't got a clue about any of it .
And he is medivet .
Said I need papers for every eu country you go to ..
So
France Spain Portugal costing .£450
I said I'll just have to leave Sylvia and dog at home this winter.lol

And he is medivet .
So
From speaking to vets and others who take their dogs abroad this would appear to be the norm . Quite annoying

Does anyone else think that we ought to be canvassing our MP's to get something sorted? I am sure that, during the negotiations, it was not a priority but perhaps they could think about it now?

What bugs me the most is that the Pet Passport was a purely UK devised travel document for returning to the UK from countries that might not be rabies free. It has now turned completely around to requiring us, from a rabies free and echinoccocus free country to jump through silly hoops. Perhaps we could do a demonstration by dressing our pets in bio hazard suits upon arrival in Europe?

And he is medivet .
So
I don’t believe his view, you only need an AHC to enter the Schengen Area. We fully intend to take our dog to Portugal, and once we’re there, ask a local vet to issue a European Pet Passport, which can then be used to travel in and out of UK/Schengen.
I have checked the legality of this with APHA, who have agreed it is quite legal to do this.
You certainly do not need an AHC for every Country once you are inside Schengen.

I don’t believe his view, you only need an AHC to enter the Schengen Area. We fully intend to take our dog to Portugal, and once we’re there, ask a local vet to issue a European Pet Passport, which can then be used to travel in and out of UK/Schengen.
I have checked the legality of this with APHA, who have agreed it is quite legal to do this.
You certainly do not need an AHC for every Country once you are inside Schengen.
Well i do hope your correct or he and us will not be going this winter coming.

Well i do hope your correct or he and us will not be going this winter coming.
Copied from WC
Had a reply this afternoon.. it’s looking good folks!
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your enquiry. It may be possible for you to obtain an EU issued passport for future travel but this would be at the discretion of the EU vet. You will need an AHC to travel to the EU before a passport is issued.

Kind regards

Collina Devlin

Administrative Officer

Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)
So that’s the plan, pay for the first AHC, and then find a sympathetic vet

Copied from WC
Had a reply this afternoon.. it’s looking good folks!
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your enquiry. It may be possible for you to obtain an EU issued passport for future travel but this would be at the discretion of the EU vet. You will need an AHC to travel to the EU before a passport is issued.

Kind regards

Collina Devlin

Administrative Officer

Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)
So that’s the plan, pay for the first AHC, and then find a sympathetic vet
That good news .
How long will this eu passport last and can you enter uk With it.?

I think the question of how long will a pet passport last is meant to mean how long is it valid and yes the paper itself will last a life time but is only valid while you keep a continuous unbroken vaccination record on it. It used to be pre Brexit 3 years but that has changed I think

It is/was three years because British vets use Nobivac which lasts for three years. You will need to check with the vet that vaccinates your dog when the next booster should be given. It used to be that they used a vaccine that needed boosting annually. As long as that is adhered to I can see no reason why the dog could not return to UK using that passport. The UK just requires evidence of up to date vaccination and the worming treatment.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back