Pet passports

From another forum - here is a vet in Havant near Portsmouth advertising on their website AHU for £99 and giving details of the process. As with the vet in Folkstone, you email them your details at least 24 hours in advance of your appointment. Hope that is useful to someone :)

From another forum - here is a vet in Havant near Portsmouth advertising on their website AHU for £99 and giving details of the process. As with the vet in Folkstone, you email them your details at least 24 hours in advance of your appointment. Hope that is useful to someone :)

Can see a pattern emerging
Many of us normally travel to Europe 2-3 times a year . Good model for repeat business

Just moved vet ... lucky to find one as apparently vets are in short supply, along with truck drivers, hospitality workers etc so many vet practices not taking on new clients.
And ... due to quarantine on return being lifted, they are now booking 8-10 weeks ahead for AHC.
So don't book your crossing to Euroland till you've an appointment for your AHC, if you need one.

I used to work in a vets. They are not in short supply due to being like truck drivers etc but because it is an extremely hard job with very long hours where they come face to face with people on a daily basis who moan about their fees. One young vet only lasted a couple of months. She became a vet because she loved animals but could not stand dealing with the clients who kept a pet but did not want to pay to make it better.

I used to work in a vets. They are not in short supply due to being like truck drivers etc but because it is an extremely hard job with very long hours where they come face to face with people on a daily basis who moan about their fees. One young vet only lasted a couple of months. She became a vet because she loved animals but could not stand dealing with the clients who kept a pet but did not want to pay to make it better.
Yes, the vet I saw 2 days ago said lots leaving the profession due many now owned by corporates and expected to do 60 hour weeks. On top of that, the overseas vets are not coming from Eastern Europe, Australia and New Zealand.
There will be a lot more fee complainers and those that don't go to vets with the massive increase in ownership too. When I tried to move vet due to house move, most were booking 8-10 weeks ahead unless an emergency.

My dog now has a Spanish passport so no worries ref animal health certificate.
All British on site were getting them too.
‘From 1 January 2021, EU pet passports issued to a pet owner resident in Great Britain are no longer valid for travel with pets from Great Britain to an EU country or Northern Ireland.’

I have seen on another forum that a vetin Folkstone will do an AHC for £98. You email your pet passport details beforehand and then book an appointment with your pet to collect the paperwork. Worth contacting them for more info. Their reviews look very encouraging and they have 200 parking spaces!! Vets near other ports might be worth contacting to see if they can help.

This is the link

‘From 1 January 2021, EU pet passports issued to a pet owner resident in Great Britain are no longer valid for travel with pets from Great Britain to an EU country or Northern Ireland.’
I saw that, but US citizens have been getting EU pet passports for years as a third country so we are now no different to them. Pet reception don’t check the owners residency at the moment. We got our pet passport issued in France yesterday with a booster rabies jab. They used Nobivac but only gave a 1 year validity, rather than the 3 years in U.K. We were not made to register the dog on the French ICAD register, which I hear others have been made to do. We will still need to show our U.K. passport for the 21 day rabies rule. Anyone got 3 years for a Nobivac vaccine in France?

Signed the above twice. me ‘n ‘er

AHC today cost £92.

first stop next week in France will be to see if I can get EU passport. If not, then I’ll try Spain or Portugal when we’re there.

Signed the above twice. me ‘n ‘er

AHC today cost £92.

first stop next week in France will be to see if I can get EU passport. If not, then I’ll try Spain or Portugal when we’re there.
£92 seems an excellent price . Where was that from ?

We have an English friend who lives in Belgium and is married to a Belgian, also a friend. If we transfer our dog's microchip to them as if they own him, he will be able to get an EU passport. My question is, will there be any problem at passport control, taking a friend's dog 'on holiday' with us? Do they now check your passport as well to see they match the dog? 🤔

We have an English friend who lives in Belgium and is married to a Belgian, also a friend. If we transfer our dog's microchip to them as if they own him, he will be able to get an EU passport. My question is, will there be any problem at passport control, taking a friend's dog 'on holiday' with us? Do they now check your passport as well to see they match the dog? 🤔
When we have travelled they checked the passport with the crossing documents. I don't know if having these in a different name from the pet passport might cause problems. And if your dog was unwell abroad, having insurance in a different name might cause issues. Disclaimer, I really don't know but it's something to think about.

I would be very wary of doing this. The dog will have to be seen by the vet issuing the passport and signing by them to say the microchip and vaccination details match the dog, I am assuming they will get the dog vaccinated against rabies at the same time?
Of course, after that, all vaccinations and boosters will have to be carried out in the country issuing the passport and you may have problems travelling with the dog as it could look like it has been stolen.
My over riding thoughts though, are that this all appears dishonest.
You could try getting an EU passport yourself by travelling to the EU after obtaining an AHC, but I have heard that this practice may be or may soon be against EU law, even though some vets may issue one at the moment ( my comment about all further vaccinations still apply if you do this)
Some vets will also insist the dogs microchip is registered with the countries pet scheme before they issue a passport anyway.
Our dog is registered with I-CAD ( we live in France) and our vet asked to see the registration card before she issued the passport.
image.jpg

I agree with Snapster. Yes, the AHC is a nuisance compared to the pet passport, yes, it's an additional unwanted expense, though compared to the overall cost of the holiday it's a small proportion etc.

My concern would be that if you turn up at French border control and an edict has gone out that this scheme of EU issued PP's to UK citizens is illegal what will you do when they say you can't bring your pet into the country?

With the amount of U.K. people currently using an EU pet passport, I hope that doesn’t happen, but if it becomes likely, hopefully word will spread quickly to stop people being stranded. There is talk of the pet passport scheme being re introduced to U.K. if the government get the part one listed status that they failed to get last time.
Fingers crossed.

Just got AHC from Abbeywell vets in Folkestone £98 . Excellent service .
Can't remember where I read about this first , maybe this thread ?
Anyway big thanks for the excellent information

Got a Portuguese PP earlier in the year. From that facebook group someone mentioned their rabies jab didn't have the address of the vet where they stamp it and this gave them problems. I checked mine and it was the same so I just wrote the postcode and town in with a pen (if you look on the page it has a * and says it must include address, phone no, vet name and sig). Had no problems getting across. Also I had no booster done at the time, but the vet didn't write anywhere that this information was copied from a UK passport, I'll get a booster now I'm over just to be on the safe side. Cost was 15 euros from charity, gave them 25.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back