Please please stay off the roads!,,,

We have been told essential travel only.
Initially there was some confusion as to if a car could be used to go somewhere for a walk, but this has now been clarified. A car should only be used for essential travel.

What is ‘essential travel’?
As of 24 March 2020, the Government advice is to "stay at home and away from others" until further notice, apart from for essential reasons. Essential reasons are:

• shopping for basic necessities, such as trips to the supermarket or other food stores, as infrequently as possible (social distancing still applies)
  • trips to pharmacies for any medical need
  • to provide care or to help a vulnerable person; and
  • for key workers travelling for work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and where the work cannot be done from home
Okay I see what you are saying but even on the news on Friday 27th March the news reporter was saying it is not clear if driving to a remote deserted place is against the rules. I do not have a car, my T4 campervan is my only vehicle used for everyday transport so I'm hoping I don't get stopped too many times on my way to Lidl . :)

I think possibly it's been a bit of a grey area legally (seems to be becoming clearer now thankfully)
However morally surely it's pretty cut and dried...

Dont travel UNLESS its essential

Driving to the beach, hills, fave walk ISN'T essential.

Lots of folks still don't seem to be getting a grip of the facts AND their social responsibilities.

Not according to the news they stated that nobody should be driving to a destination to walk cycle or walk their dog these are classed as unnecessary car journeys and you should be doing these near your homes.
When I posted that Annie the night before on TV they asked a government minister that exact question, was it okay to drive to a place to walk and he answered yes that is fine.
Whether or not they have changed what they say doesn't alter the fact.
I can't understand why half the beckon wagons are still on the road or the DPD/Amazon etc vans either come to that. Unless they are delivering food or medical supplies. Round here the majority of wagons are quarry traffic, yes it still needs some limestone going out for sugar refineries, power stations, water treatment plants etc but the majority of that should be or could be served by rail. Certainly dont need booze wagons moving

They have many times ! Essential Travel Only ! any thing more is killing people why can't people understand This

I agree 100% with isolation at home and "stay at home policy and I would not go driving for a "day out". I have been doing my "stay at home" bit, but what about going out for exercise once a day ? Shouldn't we use some common sense instead of judging everything in one way and demonising the use of cars for very short distance ?

I live in a small village and after about 150 yards in any direction there are no pavements and walking on narrow winding country roads is dangerous. For this reason my neighbour has for years driven the four miles to the beach to walk the dog ....the police need to use reasonable judgement when approaching people using cars for very short distances for this reason.

Another example is this, I ride my mountain bike four miles to the same deserted beach and the police do not not say a thing to me, it is seen as one piece of daily exercise. I then walk along the beach maybe seeing some dog walkers a mile away, and I then ride back home. Why are people so against doing that in a car, is it not slightly irrational and over thinking the instruction ?
Driving 50 miles from a city or town to the coast for a "day out" would be non-essential, I'd agree with that.

One more example, If one person takes exercise as a half hour walk in town/city amongst other people keeping 2 metres apart, and another person drives five miles to a deserted hillside miles away from anyone else, common sense tells me who is the most isolated from other people and who has the highest risk of spreading or catching the virus. Again reasonable judgement is needed.

I agree 100% with isolation at home and "stay at home policy and I would not go driving for a "day out". I have been doing my "stay at home" bit, but what about going out for exercise once a day ? Shouldn't we use some common sense instead of judging everything in one way and demonising the use of cars for very short distance ?

I live in a small village and after about 150 yards in any direction there are no pavements and walking on narrow winding country roads is dangerous. For this reason my neighbour has for years driven the four miles to the beach to walk the dog ....the police need to use reasonable judgement when approaching people using cars for very short distances for this reason.

Another example is this, I ride my mountain bike four miles to the same deserted beach and the police do not not say a thing to me, it is seen as one piece of daily exercise. I then walk along the beach maybe seeing some dog walkers a mile away, and I then ride back home. Why are people so against doing that in a car, is it not slightly irrational and over thinking the instruction ?
Driving 50 miles from a city or town to the coast for a "day out" would be non-essential, I'd agree with that.

One more example, If one person takes exercise as a half hour walk in town/city amongst other people keeping 2 metres apart, and another person drives five miles to a deserted hillside miles away from anyone else, common sense tells me who is the most isolated from other people and who has the highest risk of spreading or catching the virus. Again reasonable judgement is needed.
I think it’s a matter of how far we bend the rules and what others see one doing they then push it that it further before you know it we are back to square one with everyone driving where the hell they want.

I think it’s a matter of how far we bend the rules and what others see one doing they then push it that it further before you know it we are back to square one with everyone driving where the hell they want.

Having common sense and reasonable judgement is the key, those that don't have these attributed will stand out like a sore thumb.

Having common sense and reasonable judgement is the key, those that don't have these attributed will stand out like a sore thumb.

I disagree strongly. The concession to exercise has now very clear guidelines. People are dying now and will in increasing number continue to die for some time to come. I do not see why anyone cannot simply follow the instructions which are very clear. Follow the rules to the letter and resources will be saved to deal with more important things. If people just do their own thing we will soon be in the same position as Italy. This is definitely not the time to be selfish.

Whilst you may go out with the best of intentions, the fact remains that driving or cycling on a public highway increases your risk of being involved in a road traffic accident which would potentially involve the police and ambulance service and then staff at a hospital, why would you want to do this when the NHS is currently being stretched to the limit.

Took the car out to go to grans to see all is well and shop for some food,all keeping a safe distance,after getting the food we returned on the back mountain rd past knockagh war memorial,cars were on a jolly with kids out running up and down the car park,folk on bikes standing having a chin wag,we drove on past and home,people still not getting it here.knockagh.png

Took the car out to go to grans to see all is well and shop for some food,all keeping a safe distance,after getting the food we returned on the back mountain rd past knockagh war memorial,cars were on a jolly with kids out running up and down the car park,folk on bikes standing having a chin wag,we drove on past and home,people still not getting it here.View attachment 53717

Those who don’t get it will get it.

I disagree strongly. The concession to exercise has now very clear guidelines. People are dying now and will in increasing number continue to die for some time to come. I do not see why anyone cannot simply follow the instructions which are very clear. Follow the rules to the letter and resources will be saved to deal with more important things. If people just do their own thing we will soon be in the same position as Italy. This is definitely not the time to be selfish.
Did you read all of my previous comment, it had nothing to do with being selfish.
When I ride my bike the eight miles to the coast and back for exercise that is okay, but If my neighbour drives the same eight miles to get her exercise and walk the dog safely on the beach (and meeting no-one else) you say that isn't ok. I disagree with your reasoning.
You may be correct for people living in a city or large town but walking narrow winding country roads from a small village is dangerous, more so with a dog. The instruction cannot be "one size fits all"
Whilst you may go out with the best of intentions, the fact remains that driving or cycling on a public highway increases your risk of being involved in a road traffic accident which would potentially involve the police and ambulance service and then staff at a hospital, why would you want to do this when the NHS is currently being stretched to the limit.
I cycle on quiet country roads with yellow day glow jacket . I have been doing my bit and staying home for three weeks even before the lockdown was as it is. ( except for food shopping) so I don't have the virus....I certainly couldn't ride my bike if I had it.
Those who don’t get it will get it.
Unless a vaccine is imminent we will ALL get it . The most dangerous time is not now but the danger will be after we are told it is all over and we all get back to "normal" . With a vaccine not expected for over a year getting back to "normal" could be a false sense of security.

Did you read all of my previous comment, it had nothing to do with being selfish.
When I ride my bike the eight miles to the coast and back for exercise that is okay, but If my neighbour drives the same eight miles to get her exercise and walk the dog safely on the beach (and meeting no-one else) you say that isn't ok. I disagree with your reasoning.
You may be correct for people living in a city or large town but walking narrow winding country roads from a small village is dangerous, more so with a dog. The instruction cannot be "one size fits all"

I cycle on quiet country roads with yellow day glow jacket . I have been doing my bit and staying home for three weeks even before the lockdown was as it is. ( except for food shopping) so I don't have the virus....I certainly couldn't ride my bike if I had it.

Unless a vaccine is imminent we will ALL get it . The most dangerous time is not now but the danger will be after we are told it is all over and we all get back to "normal" . With a vaccine not expected for over a year getting back to "normal" could be a false sense of security.

Whilst I agree that it will be dangerous after we get back to normal, the acceptance that we will ALL get it is a grim forecast to those of us who would probably not survive it.
Personally I’d love to go a short distance by car for a walk but will follow the instructions and walk on the local uneven paths dodging others to maintain social distancing.
That those able to walk normally cannot follow the instructions because they’d prefer to exercise away from their home is very annoying. If we all just followed the rules services would be saved further overloading. Just accept that life has changed and there are small ways we can all try to limit the awful effects of this.

Big prob here is folk walking on pavement dont leave the gap but just brush pass you ,only a nod and nothing else,no mask glasses or even a scarf over mouth.

Unless they have changed their forecast again they did say everyone will get it. The measures in place are not to stop folks getting it but to slow it down so hopefully the emergency services can cope. A lot of folks will already have had it and not know about it, all the steps you are taking is to level out the demand which is good.

I agree wholeheartedly with @Pedalman , I live in the sticks with no footpaths and dangerous country lanes to walk on. The problem isn't so much driving the car to somewhere safe but parking without being close to anyone else.

Once again folks are very judgemental without considering others. Be sensible and be as safe as you can

Unless they have changed their forecast again they did say everyone will get it. The measures in place are not to stop folks getting it but to slow it down so hopefully the emergency services can cope. A lot of folks will already have had it and not know about it, all the steps you are taking is to level out the demand which is good.

I agree wholeheartedly with @Pedalman , I live in the sticks with no footpaths and dangerous country lanes to walk on. The problem isn't so much driving the car to somewhere safe but parking without being close to anyone else.

Once again folks are very judgemental without considering others. Be sensible and be as safe as you can
i don’t see anyone being judgemental I see lots of worried people trying their best to stay safe and follow what we are told to do, this thing has put fear into people like nothing we have ever seen in our lifetime and it’s that fear that makes people react which is very understandable so if members are out there and not following the rules they need to stop posting on here bragging about it then they won’t get the reaction from other members.

Being sensible and as safe as you can is very straightforward and applies to everyone. Obey the instructions.

I could drive to somewhere nearby for a lovely easy walk for excercise, but will continue instead to stagger about uneven pavements from home because this meets the criteria of the government instructions. We should not be making up rules to suit ourselves..
I could not really see the reason why my short drive to a walk would do any harm but now do.
Firstly driving my car on an unnecessary journey would make social distancing more difficult for those exercising in accordance with instructions on narrow local roads.
Secondly nearby farmers have asked people to stay away as lambing season approaches and the farmer catching the virus from for example a stile or fence someone has touched could devastate the farm.
This is why government instructions should be adhered to rather than just doing what suits the individual. It’s a real pain for everyone but a necessary one.

F17B9BA8-27DE-4CF0-AC54-1EB86BDBE48C.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back