Please please stay off the roads!,,,

Everybody has a right to be stupid but this guy is abusing his rights 😕

Check out this story: Tourist sent home at Devon border after driving from Birmingham https://flip.it/MzefKt from Flipboard.

As a possible shock to those bending rules for their convenience. This from a fb post today:

Icu is full and we have three ventilated patients in each theatre. We are already triaging patients who will survive and those that will not. Italy/Spain anyone over 60 will not be ventilated. You will be given o2 via cpap nothing else. Why 60? No one survives after being ventilated. You actions could jeopardise other people’s health.

As a possible shock to those bending rules for their convenience. This from a fb post today:

Icu is full and we have three ventilated patients in each theatre. We are already triaging patients who will survive and those that will not. Italy/Spain anyone over 60 will not be ventilated. You will be given o2 via cpap nothing else. Why 60? No one survives after being ventilated. You actions could jeopardise other people’s health.
That’s rather bone chilling...is it from a reliable source?

Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-20.pdf
Impact of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) to reduce COVID-19 mortality and healthcare demand
Link won't work...Google it!
Think this may be a little more reliable than fb post? Of 27.4% 60-69 yrs requiring hospitalisation, 2.2% were fatal. The other ages also quoted. Lots of technical data which is interesting in the article if feel like reading it, too. However still stay off the roads & streets as the safest option 👍

Last edited:
That’s rather bone chilling...is it from a reliable source?

I don’t personally know the poster but have no reason to doubt it. It was posted on a friends page and the poster was obviously known to that person, who I respect.

Reactions: Rec
Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-20.pdf
Impact of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) to reduce COVID-19 mortality and healthcare demand
Link won't work...Google it!
Think this may be a little more reliable than fb post? Of 27.4% 60-69 yrs requiring hospitalisation, 2.2% were fatal. The other ages also quoted. Lots of technical data which is interesting in the article if feel like reading it, too. However still stay off the roads & streets as the safest option 👍
Well that’s why I asked, the tables in the Imperial College report are not unsimilar to what you are quoting.

Well that’s why I asked, the tables in the Imperial College report are not unsimilar to what you are quoting.
Correction, they are indeed what you are quoting, I should have read the first line...it’s getting late, the eyes, or the mind are droopy!

• Funny
Reactions: Rec
Maybe the tables relate to the overall picture as opposed to a particular area.

Maybe the tables relate to the overall picture as opposed to a particular area.
Maybe, but the tone of the post as well as the content is questionable. Also I must admit, I object to "no-one survives after being ventilated" which is just wrong. The motive for the post to stay indoors is commendable.

Whilst you may go out with the best of intentions, the fact remains that driving or cycling on a public highway increases your risk of being involved in a road traffic accident which would potentially involve the police and ambulance service and then staff at a hospital, why would you want to do this when the NHS is currently being stretched to the limit.

Not so sure about that as I am sure statistically most accidents tend to happen within the home.
I can imagine this being doubly so now as people now housebound, re-start those half forgotten projects around the house and garden. Secondly with the now virtually deserted roads cycling is safer now than it has ever been and a good way to get one's excercise which is good for a persons fitness and well being.

Maybe, but the tone of the post as well as the content is questionable. Also I must admit, I object to "no-one survives after being ventilated" which is just wrong. The motive for the post to stay indoors is commendable.

I think that they implied that those needing to be ventilated who were over 60 don’t survive as opposed to all who needed to be ventilated.

An old friend of my wives decided to go for a bike ride with her hubby last week.
They're not regular cyclists I'm afraid and whilst stationary she fell over and broke her arm!a
So a trip to A&E for treatment - at least this didn't involve an ambulance!
But it's a nasty break and she's got to have an operation next week.
So yes our 'innocent' actions can have repercussions for the NHS and others needing care.

An old friend of my wives decided to go for a bike ride with her hubby last week.
They're not regular cyclists I'm afraid and whilst stationary she fell over and broke her arm!a
So a trip to A&E for treatment - at least this didn't involve an ambulance!
But it's a nasty break and she's got to have an operation next week.
So yes our 'innocent' actions can have repercussions for the NHS and others needing care.
Certainly not the most sensible thing to do and I am sure in hindsight the lady realised that, I think many of us have done silly things in the past, only to realise it after the event..
I think this emphasises the whole issue about exercise. If you are used to going out for a run or cycle ride then you should continue to do so. However if you do not normally carry out such exercise then do not start cycling or running just because we are in limited lockdown situation, it will only end in tears. Certainly though to go for a brisk walk though (even if you are not in the habit of doing so) will have very beneficial effects.

Heard about a motorhome being sent back to B'ham from Devon yesterday.
Not doing anyone any favours and damned obvious with so little traffic about anyway now.

Not so sure about that as I am sure statistically most accidents tend to happen within the home.
I can imagine this being doubly so now as people now housebound, re-start those half forgotten projects around the house and garden. Secondly with the now virtually deserted roads cycling is safer now than it has ever been and a good way to get one's excercise which is good for a persons fitness and well being.
Reluctantly I must admit some truth in that...I did my back in the first day of lockdown carrying bags of compost up the garden! Now creaking round like the old man my wife says I keep forgetting I am.

we’ve just done 280 mls from our sunny eden in portugal to a very cold salamanca in that whole 280 mls i would say only about 20 cars but the lorries !!!

Frankly the safest I feel at the moment is when I'm tucked up inside my own home....

Walking the dogs (locally)
And buying supplies from the local (2 doors away) corner shop
Are making me feel very edgy and vulnerable....

I definitely don't want to end up at a hospital for any reason.
Ah but most accidents happen at home according to RoSPA.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back