Renewing a licence aged 70 for a C1 Licence

As a retired doctor over 75 with a 4.2 ton vehicle and medical issues I would like to reassure members the medical side of things is sensible and fair and is based on a checklist system. If you and others think you are well enough to pass you probably will. Sometimes special investigations are required but the DVLA pays.

Hi booked a medical with doctors on wheels £54. They go to lots of destinations in mobile office.
PLEASE NOTE.. The DVLA will no longer accept medicals performed by doctors on Wheels, I know from experience. Phil.

I think its a bit of a lottery, friend who is 79 has renewed his 3 times without any problems, he had prostrate cancer but is ok now. I had a heart attack & by pass (nearly 20 years ago) the first time I tried I was given a 1 year license depite doing the treadmill test & getting the ok from my cardiologist. Next time I had numerous phone calls, had loads of forms to fill in & the evntually after nearly 4 months gave me one for 2 years. This year decided to downsize & not bother keeping my C1. So good luck & hope you get yours with out any problems.

I know its an old thread but no point in starting a new one with the same/similar title.
My license expired in August and I'm completing D2 and get D4 medical next week.
A bit of help please from you oldies who have already gone through the process.
I am struggling to understand the proof of identity question.
Do I just send back my license and put my full UK passport number in for photo check.
I cannot understand in what circumstance do I need to send in a new/signed photo.
Thanks

My understanding is if your old license has expired you will need a new photo, you can use the old photo only if there is 56 days or more left on your old license. The passport bit is to save you having to get the new photo countersigned for proof of identity. I am not sure what the rules are for driving if your license has expired, I guess you can‘t drive at all until a new one is issued though there are allowances for renewals but these may not apply to a lapsed one.

Thanks for that.
I also thought it was needed if your old license had actually expired. Should have done it much earlier.
So presumably new photo,not countersigned if passport number and a cheque for £17.
Hopefully it will be back before we need to drive again.
There is a leeway as you wait for the license but you might be right that it does not count if the old one has actually expired.

Just an update for completing Form D2 in case anyone comes to this thread in the future.
Quick response from the DVLA......hope the license comes back as quickly.
1 Only put a cross in box 1b for a C1 renewal
2.You don't need a new photo if 56 days or more left on license.But although my photocard had just expired it was last renewed in 2022 (see section 4a on license) so I don't need a new photo. Perhaps the photo remains valid for 10 years from that date in 4a
I don't need any other ID
3.Once sent off I can continue to drive C1 in UK under Section 88
I'll let you know if the rest of the process is as easy

Make sure you go to the gov website. I nearly messed up on a private one but luckily had second thoughts before I put too much info on. I let my C1 go but even so had to wait whilst my TIA was checked out so I would start checking out now in case theres a backlog like there has been with lots of beaucratic stuff since Covid.

[...] I would start checking out now in case theres a backlog like there has been with lots of beaucratic stuff since Covid.
FWIW, both Jan and I applied early last year because of the alleged backlog; Jan applied in May, two months before her 70th birthday; I applied in October about a month before my 70th. DVLA turned both our applications round in less than a fortnight.

Hi Guys,

I’m so glad I found this great forum.

My husband and I have just going to exchange our smaller motor home which we bought in October of last year. Our dream home as I have been diagnosed with cancer but still ok. We just want to travel. We have bought Bürstner Elegance i800. I have driven it and my husband and indeed the salesman were amazed and how well I drove it, backed into a parking space etc. I used to drive horse boxes before we met, 5 years ago and all the hubby used to drive was cars?. My problem is I’m 70 in a few months. I passed my test in 1967 so have all the categories. I now realise that I can renew my licence for cars but what does one do to get a licence for our ‘Beast’. My cancer doesn’t have any effect on my driving ability. ?
Apart from the very good info supplied here, don’t forget you have to have an eye test ( usually free) as well. This needs to be done before medical I believe. I’ve just done it. My new licence came very quickly - a couple of weeks! Good luck and enjoy your adventures.

FWIW, both Jan and I applied early last year because of the alleged backlog; Jan applied in May, two months before her 70th birthday; I applied in October about a month before my 70th. DVLA turned both our applications round in less than a fortnight.
Congrats on such a quick turnaround - a few questions;
1. Did you apply for the HGV renewal?
2. Did you have any prior medical conditions?

I have been through this process 3 times in the past 4 years. All of which were to retain my entitlements C1 and +E etc.

First time it took 7 months to renew and just for 12 months - TIA on previous med docs.
Second time was 6 months to renew, once again only for 12 months - AF was the problem but that was reported 5 years ago!
Third time it took 6 weeks and renewed for 3 years!
During all 3 applications I continued to drive on an expired licence (Section 88 of the RTA). Did not get pulled once and the only anomaly was
when my car went in for a service I was refused a hire car because their insurance would not cover me under Section 88.

Congrats on such a quick turnaround - a few questions;
1. Did you apply for the HGV renewal?
2. Did you have any prior medical conditions?
1. I applied to retain C1/D1 that I obtained under 'grandfather's rights' since I passed my car test before 1997.
2. I do, but none that the D4Drivers doctor considered might affect my ability to drive and none that triggered DVLA to require further tests. As I'd had cataract removal a month before my medical and so didn't yet have my new distance glasses, I had the eye test done by an optician prior to undergoing the main medical. Other than that, it was plain sailing.

TBH, I'd heard horror stories of massive backlogs, were planning an overseas trip, and so we got our applications in early. I'd also heard of professional drivers going past the 12 months Section 88 grace period and consequently being unable to work -- so we were rightly concerned. However, I saw a video report (after the fact) where a reporter got a job at DVLA and the backlog was effectively trapped in a corner that the staff couldn't get at before processing recently received applications. If that truly was the case, that's a horrible state for those trapped in the backlog, but it should mean that current applications get processed in a timely manner...

1. I applied to retain C1/D1 that I obtained under 'grandfather's rights' since I passed my car test before 1997.
2. I do, but none that the D4Drivers doctor considered might affect my ability to drive and none that triggered DVLA to require further tests. As I'd had cataract removal a month before my medical and so didn't yet have my new distance glasses, I had the eye test done by an optician prior to undergoing the main medical. Other than that, it was plain sailing.

TBH, I'd heard horror stories of massive backlogs, were planning an overseas trip, and so we got our applications in early. I'd also heard of professional drivers going past the 12 months Section 88 grace period and consequently being unable to work -- so we were rightly concerned. However, I saw a video report (after the fact) where a reporter got a job at DVLA and the backlog was effectively trapped in a corner that the staff couldn't get at before processing recently received applications. If that truly was the case, that's a horrible state for those trapped in the backlog, but it should mean that current applications get processed in a timely manner...
Tks for the reply. The their excuse to me was that they had to hire in the med consultants on an ad hoc basis and could never get enough at any one time to deal with the backlog! Another demonstration of the farce of outsourcing!

Am in the throes of doing mine now as it runs out in November and I need to keep D1, need to book a medical, which the charity I volunteer for will pay for.
I got the D2 from the post office - but she tried to fob me off with a D1 which I'd already been sent by DVLA, but my big stumbling block is I still have an old paper licence so I need a photo.
Are you saying I can just send in my passport and they can use that photo to save me getting another one done?

Am in the throes of doing mine now as it runs out in November and I need to keep D1, need to book a medical, which the charity I volunteer for will pay for.
I got the D2 from the post office - but she tried to fob me off with a D1 which I'd already been sent by DVLA, but my big stumbling block is I still have an old paper licence so I need a photo.
Are you saying I can just send in my passport and they can use that photo to save me getting another one done?
No. AIUI, you need to send a photo attached as instructed to the window in the D2 form (at least, that's what both Jan and I did). The passport number is so they can verify your photo is a good likeness by comparing the photo you send with the data held at the Passport Office.

Drat, guess I'll have to pay someone to take my photo then. Maybe the charity will pay for that, too.

FWIW, it seems you can change a paper licence to a photocard licence online, and they will use the passport photo. However, the government page on that seems to say that you need to send a photo if you apply using a D2 form (which is the form you use, together with a D4 medical) to retain C1/D1.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back