Renewing a licence aged 70 for a C1 Licence

I wouldn't send my passport in. Their helpline is very good and quick to answer.....they look up your record and tell you exactly what you need to send.
The help section E in the D2 does seem clear that I do need to send in a photo(as my license has expired)
But as I said in #30 I do not have to send in a photo as my current one apparently lasts for 10 year.I think it's from when I changed my paper license last year. Two people confirmed this.
So you will have to pay to get a photo and I think £17 for them to look at it:)
Maybe you can exchange your paper license for a photocard..................I can't remember if they will accept your online passport photo......then you can do what I did.

Forms completed as in post 30 and new license arrived after 10 days. No medical complications.
I hope it will be the same in 3 years and I can still reply to the doctor....................No No No No No No

I'm sure you can go to a booth to get a photo Caz.
Yes, there's one at the Post Office in town. I've been plucking up the courage for weeks but have my medical booked for saturday now so need to get a weave on.

Drat, guess I'll have to pay someone to take my photo then. Maybe the charity will pay for that, too.
I took my photo with my phone and used a dvla picture template to size it to send I had problems with mine due to I have arrhythmia they made me go for a stress test to check my heart this is on a treadmill. As I am registered disabled I was told just have a go which I did but three settings managed to get to number 2 and was in agony then 3 was so fast that I had to say stop before I went flying of the back. Chap completing this agreed it was not fair but he had to say it was a fail as you have to complete all 3 over full 10 minutes. My Motorhome is a kontiki 645 4 ton have drove it for 12 years with no problem so awaiting the result if fail then I will have to sell and get smaller, does anyone else have this problem
Brian

I took my photo with my phone and used a dvla picture template to size it to send I had problems with mine due to I have arrhythmia they made me go for a stress test to check my heart this is on a treadmill. As I am registered disabled I was told just have a go which I did but three settings managed to get to number 2 and was in agony then 3 was so fast that I had to say stop before I went flying of the back. Chap completing this agreed it was not fair but he had to say it was a fail as you have to complete all 3 over full 10 minutes. My Motorhome is a kontiki 645 4 ton have drove it for 12 years with no problem so awaiting the result if fail then I will have to sell and get smaller, does anyone else have this problem
Brian
I thought there was an alternative test for people with disabilities involving an injection to raise the heart rate. Might be worth asking the DVLA about this. I had to do a stress test after my heart attack and stent. I passed but it was tough and I don’t want to do it again. We are in the process of downsizing so I can let the C1 go.

one of the many ridiculous things with this test is that you can tow a one ton trailer behind a 3.5 ton van without a query so far i have passed 2 x medical with D4Drivers but if the day ever comes i would downsize the van & tow a trailer having said which in 17 years of motorhoming never been checked

I will need to apply to retain my C1 and as the recipient of a heart bypass 2 years ago I know I will need to pass the ECG stress test. My question is where to go to get this done? Is the test initiated by dvla or by D4Drivers or by me to whom?

I will need to apply to retain my C1 and as the recipient of a heart bypass 2 years ago I know I will need to pass the ECG stress test. My question is where to go to get this done? Is the test initiated by dvla or by D4Drivers or by me to whom?
The DVLA arranged and paid for my stress test, they are the ones that decide if you need one. I am surprised that they didn’t insist on one following your bypass. The DVLA advice for bypasses and heart attacks is similar, short period of no driving for ordinary licenses but longer period for bus, lorry and coach license (C1) plus notifying them.

I gave up my C1 and have moments if regret but know the reality is that I don't need it but for 2 I can see downsizing when you are used to the space in a larger van might be an issue.I just didn't want the flaff of medicals etc.
Can i be cheeky and jump on here to ask what time span is it now for renewals? I need to get a renewal (the 3 year one post 70) in August) and don't know when to start applying.
Thanks

I gave up my C1 and have moments if regret but know the reality is that I don't need it but for 2 I can see downsizing when you are used to the space in a larger van might be an issue.I just didn't want the flaff of medicals etc.
Can i be cheeky and jump on here to ask what time span is it now for renewals? I need to get a renewal (the 3 year one post 70) in August) and don't know when to start applying.
Thanks
Non-C1 renewal online 03/06/2023, new licence received by 08/06/2023.

C1 renewal received by DVLA 08/12/2023 new C1 license issued 24/01/2024 after 6 weeks 5 days. I do have medical issues and I know these have been looked at.

Don't apply too early, it's not like an MOT. The new licence dates from when they do it, I "lost" 8 days on mine 'cos they issued the new one on 27th October, 8 days before my old one ran out.

Don't apply too early, it's not like an MOT. The new licence dates from when they do it, I "lost" 8 days on mine 'cos they issued the new one on 27th October, 8 days before my old one ran out.
I applied in December as early as possible in the 90 day period. If you apply with more than 56 days left on your expiring license you don’t need to include a new photo. This is the second C1 renewal I have done this way and both times I have kept my original expiry date of 28/02, even though the new license started 2 days ago on 24/01. I think it is important not to send a new photo so that it is a continuation of your old license and not treated as a new one.

Both Jan and I lost time when we renewed in 2022 as we posted early after hearing horror stories of alleged backlogs. Jan 'lost' over two months and I 'lost' a couple of weeks as both of us got our new licences back after about a week -- and this was renewal from an old-style paper licence with D4 enclosed.

If you're not planning to go abroad, you can continue to drive under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act provided there are no medical or other reasons not to.

I was wondering what the procedure might be to get mine back if I wanted to get a bigger van.

There ought to be a none commercial version of it.

I was wondering what the procedure might be to get mine back if I wanted to get a bigger van.

The C1 is a restricted version of the commercial C license so perhaps they already think of it as a none commercial version. The problem is that they apply Group 2 medical requirements to the C1 as well as to the C license. They could just decide to apply the Group 1 medical requirements used for B licenses but I can’t see this happening just to make life easier for a few leisure users of motorhomes.

Effectively, the C1 that we have is a non-commercial version. If you want to operate commercially, you also have to do the "Continual Professional Development" thing...

Having used D4Drivers for a medical to renew my C+E licence for 1 year a couple of days before we left for spain.( I am strangely reluctant to let it go 66 next week ).
The D4D doctor completes the D4 form based on your answers to the questions, takes blood pressure checks eyesight with a wall chart and that's it.
I did take a copy of my glasses prescription the form does ask for numbers.
This medical cost £47 I will see when I get home if a new licence waiting for me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back