Renewing a licence aged 70 for a C1 Licence

Having used D4Drivers for a medical to renew my C+E licence for 1 year a couple of days before we left for spain.( I am strangely reluctant to let it go 66 next week ).
The D4D doctor completes the D4 form based on your answers to the questions, takes blood pressure checks eyesight with a wall chart and that's it.
I did take a copy of my glasses prescription the form does ask for numbers.
This medical cost £47 I will see when I get home if a new licence waiting for me.
Why do it at 66?

If you apply, you can still drive to your old licence categories. So if it takes a time, you can still drive. I did retain my C1 at my 70 renewal, but as I have had a stent fitted (2004) I had to have the stress test. Not really a problem for me as we both do parkruns and run three other times a week. My stress test was arranged by DVLA, had it within three weeks and then had the medical test. I think it took a total of five weeks to get my licence back. Not sure I will bother in March, I don't intend to drive anything over 3.5T. Our van is 3.4T loaded, more than enough room for the two of us, but we do like each other. The fixed bed does reduce space, but anything bigger would be difficult to store on the drive.

That is when a C+E licence expires and has to be renewed annually if you wish to keep it.
C+E doesn’t expire at 66, it’s 70, and, it doesn’t need renewing annually, it’s every 3 years.
i’ve done mine 3 times already, twice with D4Drivers who I’ve found far the cheapest and simplest way to do it.

EDIT: My comments refer to C1+E (3.5t to 7.5t).

Last edited:
C+E doesn’t expire at 66, it’s 70, and, it doesn’t need renewing annually, it’s every 3 years.
i’ve done mine 3 times already, twice with D4Drivers who I’ve found far the cheapest and simplest way to do it.
C+E (or CE) is an HGV licence, and the information that I can find indicates that it needs to be renewed annually from the age of 65.
For example:
"Renewing a driving licence at 45: The right to drive a certain vehicle changes when you reach the age of 45. From the age of 45 to 65, you must renew your driver’s licence every 5 years if you want to drive HGV’s. Once you reach the age of 65, you must renew your HGV licence on an annual basis."

C+E (or CE) is an HGV licence, and the information that I can find indicates that it needs to be renewed annually from the age of 65.
For example:
"Renewing a driving licence at 45: The right to drive a certain vehicle changes when you reach the age of 45. From the age of 45 to 65, you must renew your driver’s licence every 5 years if you want to drive HGV’s. Once you reach the age of 65, you must renew your HGV licence on an annual basis."
Apologies for the confusion, I was referring to C1+E, which is for vehicles over 3,500kgs MGW up to 7,500kgs MGW towing a trailer.
The original post was about “C1” not “C”…

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back