Road Fund Licence

AutoTrail V-Line 635SE.

Dealer paid our tax, but a letter from DVLA tells me that it was a total of £321 (£266 tax plus 1st registration of £55.) That's because it went up £10 this year.

So, £266.

Last edited:
Plated 4t Geist Phantom £165pa

Auto Sleeper Palermo 3.8 tonne.
£165 per year.

Colin ???

Is it a homework question ?‍?

No. I drive an Autosleeper Duetto Ford Transit and pay £255 a year. I was thinking of upgrading but the current RFL charges for newer vehicles (including cars ) seem to be an expensive, complicated issue and I was trying to get some info on newer motorhomes.

No. I drive an Autosleeper Duetto Ford Transit and pay £255 a year. I was thinking of upgrading but the current RFL charges for newer vehicles (including cars ) seem to be an expensive, complicated issue and I was trying to get some info on newer motorhomes.
The changes made last April 1st to Cars Road Tax was not applied to Commercial Vehicles. that was left unchanged.
IF the changes were applicable to Motorhomes (I don't know) recorded as such at first registration, than the Road Tax would be £140 per year flat rate. But ... there are surcharges for upto 5 years based on Emissions and on Value - and I bet the typical factory Motorhome would be hit hard on both counts (IF they were not assessed by their commercial van underpinnings).

PS. Sounds like a great majority here drive >3.5t jobbies to get £165 pa rate. Mine is also £165 (4.6t)

Ours is a 2016 Carthago Compact Line, taxation class is PLG costing £245.
My understanding is that any motorhome that cost over £40k and was first registered from Apr 2017 will be subject to the additional RFL payments for 5 years before reverting to a normal RFL.

This looks to be a good summary: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

Key bit:
Your motorhome’s included if both the following apply:
  • it’s in the M1SP category - check with your dealer if you’re not sure
  • its CO2 emissions are included on the ‘type approval certificate’ (this might be called a ‘certificate of conformity’ or ‘individual vehicle approval’)
M1SP is Passenger Vehicle, Special Purpose. Get a >3.5t Motorhome and it will be exempt from the new rules and will carry on with the £165 pa rate (M1 only goes upto 3.5t; above that is M2 for Passenger Vehicles)

Ours is a 2016 Carthago Compact Line, taxation class is PLG costing £245.
My understanding is that any motorhome that cost over £40k and was first registered from Apr 2017 will be subject to the additional RFL payments for 5 years before reverting to a normal RFL.
Yes that is what i have ascertained, so buying a MH registered before April 2017 would be prudent re RFL.

Not going to pay mine
Hopefully they’ll crush it (y)

Do keep clear should that occur, Charlie.
We'd all hate anything to happen that might cause you to feel negative about motorhoming, those around you or life in general.

Colin :):):)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back