Road Fund Licence

This looks to be a good summary: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

Key bit:
Your motorhome’s included if both the following apply:
  • it’s in the M1SP category - check with your dealer if you’re not sure
  • its CO2 emissions are included on the ‘type approval certificate’ (this might be called a ‘certificate of conformity’ or ‘individual vehicle approval’)
M1SP is Passenger Vehicle, Special Purpose. Get a >3.5t Motorhome and it will be exempt from the new rules and will carry on with the £165 pa rate (M1 only goes upto 3.5t; above that is M2 for Passenger Vehicles)

M2 applies to over 16 seats. Motorhome over 3.5t is still M1. It is a Heavy Motor Car in the old jargon not a small bus.

Any Motorhome over 3500kg is classed as a Private Heavy Goods Vehicle and therefore is subject to commercial rates, hence the £165 price tag.
Thats right Rog and under 3.5 Kg is Private Light Goods Vehicle. Hence no added £310 charge for first 5 years

Its about time the tax was set on fuel until electric takes over in 2040 though i will be eighty one by then or dead and wont give a flying f--k.

The question regarding motorhomes and the luxury car tax has been asked on all motorhome forums and to date nobody has claimed that they are paying other than PLG on their 2017/18 coachbuilt 3500kg units.

Just got our next van Sprinter with a Mohican on it's back, V5 says 3.5t, so gone with that, but I'll be upping it to the plated 3.8t as soon as I have the V5, unless it can be done online, no point in give them a £100
FWIW, our Scout was down-plated to 3500 kg when we got it and there was some palaver getting it back to the ex-factory 3.85 tonne. As the dealer sold it to us as 3850 kg MAM, they had to pay for SV Tech to carry out a paperwork exercise and issue a certificate to say the van was good for 3.85t -- I've no idea how much that cost them. I then had to send off the certificate with a request for a replacement VED form and then phone DVLA a fortnight later and pay VED by card over the phone before they'd send me my new V5. I also had to raise a complaint case to get back the money for the PLG VED for the double-taxed month. At 3500 kg, I paid twenty-something pounds a month via direct debit, once replated VED changed to £165 pa.

Morning all
Read the above post with interest!! We have a 07 Ducato self build and we appear to be paying more than all of you!! £290 I believe it’s classified as euro 4, and registered as motor caravan. Just wondered if we paying the correct amount or not? Any ideas please

Morning all
Read the above post with interest!! We have a 07 Ducato self build and we appear to be paying more than all of you!! £290 I believe it’s classified as euro 4, and registered as motor caravan. Just wondered if we paying the correct amount or not? Any ideas please
just to annoy you even more .... if it was a Euro 4 AND registered a little earlier you would be paying LESS than all of us!! - see here - https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/other-vehicle-tax-rates
I think there were "early adopter" schemes for both Euro 4 and Euro 5 vehicles, hence the cut off dates and reversion to 'standard' rate.
£290 is a rate for a Car with certain emissions - what was the Ducato before you converted it? maybe a people carrier/minibus type setup? could it have been recorded as an Car/MPV? (the last van I converted before my current one was a VW Transporter - but because it was the Shuttle model, it was down as a Diesel Car with body type of MPV - road tax was .... £290)

Morning all
What does your V5c say in the [N] Taxation class? Most motor homes will be PLG or PHGV.
Your rate of £290 appears to be band J of Car tax for cars first registered between 1 March 2001 and 31 March 2017. Once it has been placed in a CO2 based band then it will not change. A reclassification to body type Motor caravan will not affect that.

Wildebus thanks for that yes was registered as a minibus ie car/mov before conversion!!
rayc
Looked at V5 and have no (N) however I have an (X) which say taxation class Diesel car!! Though as mentioned above it was once a minibus. So looks like it’s the correct amount!! Perhaps time to convert a Euro 6!!
Many thanks both for prompt replies
Take care

Last edited by a moderator:
Wildebus thanks for that yes was registered as a minibus ie car/mov before conversion!!
rayc
Looked at V5 and have no (N) however I have an (X) which say taxation class Diesel car!! Though as mentioned above it was once a minibus. So looks like it’s the correct amount!! Perhaps time to convert a Euro 6!!
Many thanks both for prompt replies
Take care
Make sure you ascertain the VED band/level of the Euro6 you are buying. It could be the same, or more than your current one if it is in the Emission based band. https://www.wilsons.co.uk/news/road-tax-rates-2018-2019/

https://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs/motorhome-road-tax

Attachments

• tax.jpg
    tax.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Make sure you ascertain the VED band/level of the Euro6 you are buying. It could be the same, or more than your current one if it is in the Emission based band. https://www.wilsons.co.uk/news/road-tax-rates-2018-2019/

https://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs/motorhome-road-tax
rayc
Thanks fo the link it appears by the chart we are paying the correct amount!! Looking at the new vehicle chart re Euro 6 I notice it’s more expensive for the first two years!!
Now thinking out the box here let’s say we buy new vehicle get it home then sorn it! Get refund then take 2 years to build it would we then qualify for the cheaper rate?
Take care

rayc
Now thinking out the box here let’s say we buy new vehicle get it home then sorn it! Get refund then take 2 years to build it would we then qualify for the cheaper rate?
Take care
The tax would be the rate you would pay for a type N1 or M1 vehicle first registered in the appropriate tax band for that emission class of vehicle during the qualifying dates. Whether it had been taxed and used or SORN and off the road would make no difference.
Be careful as even if you could buy it unregistered and then convert it you may find that on initial registration the tax rates have gone up for new registrations. It may also fall under the Individual Vehicle Approval Scheme and if assessed as having a nominal cost of more than £40 ,000 and it is a M1 vehicle type it may attract the luxury car premium.

Last edited:
A common 'ruse' on 3.5t vans is to get them upplated to >3.5t to take advantage of the lower tax rate. Even 3,550kg (extra 50 kg) would do, and then get the classification changed from a PLG to a PHGV.
This is what I did with my current ex-minibus that was down as a PLG for some reason. Changed it to PHGV and tax dropped to £165.
I am not sure if anyone has done this with a non-commercial though?
And of course you need to have a C/C1 endorsement on your licence to drive over 3.5t.

Guys
Many thanks for the replies some home work required before anything else!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back