Road Fund Licence

Autotrail Chieftain 4.5 tonne. £165, WS taxed as a PLG when I got it, but changed it asap and got my refund.

No van right now, but usually have a 3.85t van so £165, but pay monthly.

Mine's a January 2006 Compass Avantgarde on a 55 plate. Tax reminder just came through today and it's £255 and has always been quite high. Why is mine so much more expensive than lots of other 3.5t motorhomes? The tax class says Private/Light Goods (PLG) but there's no indication of emissions... just engine size, which is 2.2 (or 2178 cc).

Any Motorhome over 3500kg is classed as a Private Heavy Goods Vehicle and therefore is subject to commercial rates, hence the £165 price tag.

Yes that is what i have ascertained, so buying a MH registered before April 2017 would be prudent re RFL.
That is incorrect. It would only fall into the graduated emission scheme if the co2 emissions were listed on the CofC and it was 3500kg or less. I can assure you that my late 2017 3500kg Pilote is in the PLG Tax class at £245 approx. and not the graduated scheme.

Does anyone know of a motor home owner who has one that falls within the graduated scheme? I am sure that if there were there would be hundreds of posts on mh forums. The rules are clear and 3500kg motor homes continue to be in tax class PLG if there is no co2 figure on the CofC.. As has been pointed out previously the graduated scheme would have in any event not effected 3500kg plus motor homes which continue as PHGV

Last edited:
Just got our next van Sprinter with a Mohican on it's back, V5 says 3.5t, so gone with that, but I'll be upping it to the plated 3.8t as soon as I have the V5, unless it can be done online, no point in give them a £100

2001 Mercedes Hymer B680 4600Kg's £165.00 p/annum, cheaper than my Toyota Alphard £240.00 (modern version of the Previa)

From GOV.UK WEB SITE
Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000
You have to pay an extra £310 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000.
You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed).

From GOV.UK WEB SITE
Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000
You have to pay an extra £310 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000.
You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed).
The above is taken from the .GOV.UK WEB SITE - "https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables" that is titled:

Cars and some motorhomes registered on or after 1 April 2017

(my underlining)

The page says:

You’ll pay a rate based on a vehicle’s CO2 emissions the first time it’s registered. This applies to:
  • cars
  • some motorhomes
Your motorhome’s included if both the following apply:
  • it’s in the M1SP category - check with your dealer if you’re not sure
  • its CO2 emissions are included on the ‘type approval certificate’ (this might be called a ‘certificate of conformity’ or ‘individual vehicle approval’)
If you have a different kind of motorhome, you pay tax in a different way.

Most Motorhomes do not have the above, so I am pretty sure the £40,000 List price is irrelevant as it is only Motorhomes that are included in the above. Most will be part of the "pay tax in a different way" bit, i.e. the information on this page:
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/other-vehicle-tax-rates or if >3.5t, the HGV Rates are the applicable ones.

(this is yet another example where DVLA & DVSA information is not really made clear enough, but if the headline doesn't apply to you, the remainder will not)

Mine's a January 2006 Compass Avantgarde on a 55 plate. Tax reminder just came through today and it's £255 and has always been quite high. Why is mine so much more expensive than lots of other 3.5t motorhomes? The tax class says Private/Light Goods (PLG) but there's no indication of emissions... just engine size, which is 2.2 (or 2178 cc).
We had 06 one of those AG 150 o think. Nice rear lounge on Peugeot base 2296cc I think. ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back