Scotlands tourist tax...

But if 200,000 motorhomes visit Scotland every year then surely Scotland is already benefiting financially,
As I would imagine these people will be buying goods and fuel whilst in Scotland, and many will be using campsites.
Putting this stupid levy on motorhome owners will just drive many away from Scotland,

How the hell is that gonna work they can go take a running flying xxxx. I live hear I’m no paying a single penny to any more made up taxes. Campsites will be deserted. I think that’s the only way they could collect this is at point of sale at campsites and the £40 sticker how they gonna inforce that what a joke. Wonder if Nicola will get a sticker for her Nismam Bichhoff.

So it’s a supposed to be a tourist tax how’s that gonna work wae tents where do they put the sticker or a caravan that carry’s the number plate of the car towing it. Morons the more I think about this the stupider it becomes these people who come up wae this stuff are driven by greed wonder how much this nonsense has cost for these halfwits to plan and try to push this rubbish.

If they introduce this tax I’ll will refuse to pay it .
they can prosecute me if they like I’ll argue that since I’ve paid taxes up here all my life and even though I’m retired they still
take £2500 a year in council tax from me and as I’m a Scottish resident I should be exempt .

If they only require campers and motorhomes to pay that's discriminatory.
"The Bill aims to allow a visitor levy, a type of fee or tax, to be charged on overnight stays in some types of accommodation. Section 4 of the Bill explains what types of accommodation these could be. This means that a certain amount of money would be paid to the local authority every time someone stayed overnight in accommodation like a hotel, bed and breakfast or holiday cottage (unless it is the place where the person usually lives). Each local authority would be able to decide if it wanted to introduce a charge and what the level of the charge should be. "
The same could (as indicated in the P&J article) be applied to campsites (which would to a great extent address @Wully's reference to caravans).
You could therefore argue (though I would suggest that you don't ;)) that it would be discriminatory not to apply it to wilders.

Not a problem for us as we WC 100% so far, and I can see the need for funds to improve the infrastructure generally but someone needs to think of a fairer way to implement and collect it or the tourism will go down and local shops will suffer/close we don't pay to camp but we go out of our way to use the small shops in villages when we see something we need, we love Scotland Wales and Ireland and there is a price to pay to go to any of them but to be charged just to be there is a step to far.

Obviously, it works two ways.

The Romans had the answer a few years ago, when they included customs posts in their incredible wall.

As my father used to say, that'll stop them far***ng in church. 😳

Clever man, my father, I wish I was more like him.

Yeah, think I’ll stop going to Spain over the winter to avoid their tourist tax. I really don’t get it. People spend tens of £000’s on a van, more thousands on VED, fuel, insurance, booze, ferries, gizmos and then go ballistic as if the world has ended when asked to stump up a derisory amount as very small contribution to help pay for the benefits they’ve received as a tourist.

Mind you, if it does stop vanners polluting the NC 500 and causing huge inconvenience to those living there that could be a great benefit to many.

Yeah, think I’ll stop going to Spain over the winter to avoid their tourist tax. I really don’t get it. People spend tens of £000’s on a van, more thousands on VED, fuel, insurance, booze, ferries, gizmos and then go ballistic as if the world has ended when asked to stump up a derisory amount as very small contribution to help pay for the benefits they’ve received as a tourist.

Mind you, if it does stop vanners polluting the NC 500 and causing huge inconvenience to those living there that could be a great benefit to many.
I don’t see why folks who live here in Scotland have to pay just to visit another part of their homeland . Are people from the North of Scotland with motorhomes going to pay tourist tax if / when they come and tour around Galloway and the S.W ? No tourist tax here yet we have plenty of visiting motorhomes and caravans

Last edited:

It's an unfair tax, as simple as that.

Back