Scotlands tourist tax...

Its all very well but what makes Scotland any different to England, Wales, Ireland? If one country applies the tax then why wouldn't they all?
At the risk of getting political -- devolution is what makes it different. From April 1st (for example, and nice choice of day) you could end up in prison for saying something in England that inadvertently offends someone in Scotland -- and it's retrospective as the 'offence' is committed at the point of publication (i.e. when the person in Scotland sees the 'offending' matter). That said, the Scottish elite might be about to get hoisted by their own petard over this (see below)...
I don’t see why folks who live here in Scotland have to pay just to visit another part of their homeland
It's supposed to be one United Kingdom. I don't see why I, who live in Cornwall, should have to pay a tax to visit my niece (who lives in Perthshire) any more than why she should pay a tax to visit me. That said, in the grand scheme of things, it usually takes me a week or so to slowly wend my way in either direction, costs me ~£350 in fuel and an average of £40/night in pub grub, campsite fees, overnight parking fees, etc. So £40 for a bumper sticker wouldn't stop me. However, it would encourage me adopt a 'more entitled' attitude...

Now for that petard thing...
The "Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Act 2021" makes it an offence to stir up hatred against any member of a group defined by reference to any specified characteristic, which includes Age. Now the average age of motorhomers (AFAICT) is well north of the population median and those most likely to be (e.g.) doing the NC500 outside the holiday season are pensioners. So, from April 1st., surely any act that can be perceived to be anti-motorhome must be de-facto ageism, and hence unlawful?!

By their own admission, they do not have enough facilities to cope with the number of motorhomes visiting Scotland.
It seems to me that a Tourist Tax, if it were ever introduced, should go towards providing the facilities that they say are lacking.
The very fact that they are mumbling about how this new windfall should be spent tells me they have no intention of providing anything for the touring motorhomer, but have only seen pound signs flashing in front of their eyes, and are happy to collect the money, without doing a blessed thing for it!

Not only the Jocks.

The NC500 was created by the Scottish Tourist Board, so whose fault is it that so much tourist traffic is concentrated on that particular route. Scotland is a very large and very beautiful country and it’s not surprising that many folk answer the call of the wild and just want to soak up the fabulous scenery, away from the orderly and organised campsites. The STB have, in effect, created a situation where the public think that the NC500 is the only thing to see in Scotland, but we all know that there is a new wonder around every corner and bend in the road.
Overnight parking facilities should be updated all over Scotland to allow tourist traffic to be shared all over the country, relieving the stress felt by folk living and working on the Route, such as Applecross. Sorry if this is slightly Off Topic.

The NC500 was created by the Scottish Tourist Board, so whose fault is it that so much tourist traffic is concentrated on that particular route. Scotland is a very large and very beautiful country and it’s not surprising that many folk answer the call of the wild and just want to soak up the fabulous scenery, away from the orderly and organised campsites. The STB have, in effect, created a situation where the public think that the NC500 is the only thing to see in Scotland, but we all know that there is a new wonder around every corner and bend in the road.
Overnight parking facilities should be updated all over Scotland to allow tourist traffic to be shared all over the country, relieving the stress felt by folk living and working on the Route, such as Applecross. Sorry if this is slightly Off Topic.
They basically marketed this route and it was too successful. They weren't famous for their marketing successes previously.
I do suspect cafes, pubs etc on the route don't mind it at all .

As usual these things are thought of by some Parliamentarian in their dreams, then they voice them to their mates who think oh that's a good idea, nice to see you doing something for your pay. None of them of course owns a motorhome or a tent or a caravan - and when you refer to Nicola's Niessman and Bishoff, I thought it was bought by the SNP?
I may have got my politics wrong there but as an Englishman (ancestors includ the Vikings of course - did they pay a tourist tax one wonders?) you can't expect me to keep up with Scots politicians.

I guess it will only be applicable to those in Tupperware boxes registered as ‘Motor Caravans’ on the V5
It can’t possibly apply to the rest of us, denied that hallowed status in our minibuses aka ‘Vans with Windows’

However not sure how it will apply to my current project which is made from omniapanel so arguably is 100% Tupperware but is going to be Box van on the V5 😉

Scottish Government confirmed on 9th January that Motorhomes will be exempt. 2 Councillors (Green Party - again ...) from Highland Council proposed a motion to charge Motorhomes, with the Motion to be debated on 14 March

Not seen any reports of the outcome, but the 'knit your own sandals' naivety of the proposal includes asking M/Home owners to voluntarily pay £40 for an exemption sticker; a simplistic 'if hired, then Rental company know number of nights, so can collect the charge'; no thought to owners who have no other vehicle, so are not tourists; no thought to people living full time, so no tourists (sort the bloody housing shortage first!); ignoring the likelihood that numerous charging categories will make it cost more to collect than the revenue raised; and that a M/homer travelling through several local authorities (e.g to care for an aged parent because Social Care is inadequate, and parking on the parent's drive or on street parking, so not a 'tourist', but giving the Council a Caring budget saving ...), could be charged several times in the same day via the proposed ANPR trigger, when they never actually stopped anywhere to become s tourist ...

And, finally, 3500kg M/homes already pay a higher VED charge, so use some of that money to get a brain transplant funded by NHS, then apply the balance to charge caravans and equivalent rate of daily tax, and to pay for free sterilisation of Green Party members to stop any more moronic, but utopian Schemes such as this being proposed by their preposterously named offspring for the next generation ... (y) :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Scottish Government confirmed on 9th January that Motorhomes will be exempt. 2 Councillors (Green Party - again ...) from Highland Council proposed a motion to charge Motorhomes, with the Motion to be debated on 14 March

Not seen any reports of the outcome, but the 'knit your own sandals' naivety of the proposal includes asking M/Home owners to voluntarily pay £40 for an exemption sticker; a simplistic 'if hired, then Rental company know number of nights, so can collect the charge'; no thought to owners who have no other vehicle, so are not tourists; no thought to people living full time, so no tourists (sort the bloody housing shortage first!); ignoring the likelihood that numerous charging categories will make it cost more to collect than the revenue raised; and that a M/homer travelling through several local authorities (e.g to care for an aged parent because Social Care is inadequate, and parking on the parent's drive or on street parking, so not a 'tourist', but giving the Council a Caring budget saving ...), could be charged several times in the same day via the proposed ANPR trigger, when they never actually stopped anywhere to become s tourist ...

And, finally, 3500kg M/homes already pay a higher VED charge, so use some of that money to get a brain transplant funded by NHS, then apply the balance to charge caravans and equivalent rate of daily tax, and to pay for free sterilisation of Green Party members to stop any more moronic, but utopian Schemes such as this being proposed by their preposterously named offspring for the next generation ... (y) :ROFLMAO:

Steve
Best rant in a while. Please go to the top of the class. 😂 👍

Best rant in a while. Please go to the top of the class. 😂 👍
The travelling to look after a frail parent was a précis of a quote from a M/homer I know because of shortcomings in Social Care provision; the 'travelling through several areas' was lifted from the Press Report on the Green Councillor's proposal; the social housing shortage is a common feature in Scotland, and is acute in my own local authority area, and I have become on 'chatting en passant' during my daily perambulation with a couple of homeless; and the rest is my cynical urine extraction of these 'wired to the Moon' loonies who are supposed to deliver local democracy. I could have included a 'time for a 21st century Highland Clearance, with the benefit that the extra sheep would increase the choice of Green Party candidates' jibe, but didn't want to give them inspiration for their next recruitment round ...

Meanwhile, in Spain, where we are supporting the local economy of each town/city where we stay, in return for free Aires, drive by inspections by the local police (for our and the local population mutual protection), free services, some including EHU from Spanish Renewables, we are greeted by locals who appreciate tourists, and who share a joke at our appalling attempts to speak Spanish; one local in Olivanze offered us his bike lock to secure our bikes outside Mercadona, whilst a local in Badajoz guided us to the underground car parking to show us where we could secure our bikes in the absence of formal bike racks ...

Some €200+ spent on provisions to get us through the Easter weekend and a couple of snacks/beers at local bars and cafes in the last 72 hours. £10 spent on site fees since leaving home, that at an English boatyard improvised Aire in Penkridge ...

Steve

The travelling to look after a frail parent was a précis of a quote from a M/homer I know because of shortcomings in Social Care provision; the 'travelling through several areas' was lifted from the Press Report on the Green Councillor's proposal; the social housing shortage is a common feature in Scotland, and is acute in my own local authority area, and I have become on 'chatting en passant' during my daily perambulation with a couple of homeless; and the rest is my cynical urine extraction of these 'wired to the Moon' loonies who are supposed to deliver local democracy. I could have included a 'time for a 21st century Highland Clearance, with the benefit that the extra sheep would increase the choice of Green Party candidates' jibe, but didn't want to give them inspiration for their next recruitment round ...

Meanwhile, in Spain, where we are supporting the local economy of each town/city where we stay, in return for free Aires, drive by inspections by the local police (for our and the local population mutual protection), free services, some including EHU from Spanish Renewables, we are greeted by locals who appreciate tourists, and who share a joke at our appalling attempts to speak Spanish; one local in Olivanze offered us his bike lock to secure our bikes outside Mercadona, whilst a local in Badajoz guided us to the underground car parking to show us where we could secure our bikes in the absence of formal bike racks ...

Some €200+ spent on provisions to get us through the Easter weekend and a couple of snacks/beers at local bars and cafes in the last 72 hours. £10 spent on site fees since leaving home, that at an English boatyard improvised Aire in Penkridge ...

Steve
There is/was a free aire in Penkridge ?
Also impressed with rant . Though tad disappointed you didn't mention fairground vehicles

At least fairground vehicles arrive, earn their living almost legally, and leave a more-or less clean site.
I heard somewhere that in France if a bunch of what-shall-we-call-them -without-offending-any-of-them arrive and start messing up the place leaving trolleys, gas bottles, mattresses and cut down trees, then the Police arrive with bulldozers and clear them out. That's why you don't see any there. Here, on the other hand, the toe rags know the law better than the Police and have unlimited funds (in cash) to fight them in the courts so they know exactly how long they can stay before getting the heave-ho and leaving the council oops sorry I meant the rate payers with on average a £20,000 clear up bill.

Don't give them ideas, they already have it in Glasgow, but I'm exempt.
More than just Glasgow but others my be called LEZ, they are coming into effect in the next month or so

Edit: It just came back on the radio news so... Glasgow, Dundee, Edinburgh and Aberdeen have LEZ imminent

Last edited:
Back