Shurflo pump running on

I still have the same problem with this pump running on sometimes after it has been used and re pressurized the system, it's not the normal pumping noise as mentioned before just a whirring sound.

Anyone had any more thoughts?

Our pump used to cut in randomly for a few seconds every so often and I couldn't find any leaks. It was annoying in the middle of the night.
So I simply wired in a toggle switch with LED bulb so we could isolate the pump. It does not solve the cause but it does stop the noise!
So ....Problem solved!
Jeremy

We had that on other Van's but this is not the same problem here, turning the pump off fixed that, it's never cut in as you describe, and never failed, I'm not even concerned about it other than you can't hear it unless you are near it.

It just a puzzlement I'd like to solve.

I still have the same problem with this pump running on sometimes after it has been used and re pressurized the system, it's not the normal pumping noise as mentioned before just a whirring sound.

Anyone had any more thoughts?
On the base is there 1or 2 Allen keys nuts try turning half a turn clock wise ..
If memory serves me right that's what I did .for over run and bliping .

I'll see if I can get a look at it later, I'd not it'll wait till we get home in June.

Any chance of a picture to point me in the right area?

Will do that very thing.

I understand that .but I would still adjust before thinking of changing it.
See post #83. ;) He's not even bothered! Especially not now he's made it to 'Le Continont' Bigger fish to fry or is that bigger baguettes to scoff? I can hear the accordion and smell the garlic as I type, wish I were with you Kev....🤗

Aye lad, baguettes have been harmed on this trip but little else.

We want to eat out but the buggers never seem to be open at troughing time.

Grenoble was awful, seriously bad roads and speed bumps every too often, heading for Valence right now.

It's on its last legs so I have had to ignore the pain and get down to a look at the pump which I think is ok.

See pictures for why.

My thinking is a bad fitting, pump has a 2012 date so not the original one.

I see the right vertical blue pipe being a couple of cm too long making a bad seal and also not doing the pump gland but any good either, and while liz turned the pump on and a tap, it burgled, but I saw no water moving through the filter, and when she turned it off I could hear air escaping.

Not sure of the best field repair, I know I have to cut the pipe, not got a plastic pipe cutter with me, will a sharp knife be able to slice a small not off easily?

20240516_094717.jpg20240516_094734.jpg20240516_094737.jpg20240516_094739.jpg

From the pics, the pump itself looks badly aligned to the pipework. If you don't fancy cutting the pipe with a knife, I'd undo the pump itself and see if moving it slightly left and up will take the tension off the joints. Looks like only 4 screws so maybe worth a try first 🤔

It's on its last legs so I have had to ignore the pain and get down to a look at the pump which I think is ok.

See pictures for why.

My thinking is a bad fitting, pump has a 2012 date so not the original one.

I see the right vertical blue pipe being a couple of cm too long making a bad seal and also not doing the pump gland but any good either, and while liz turned the pump on and a tap, it burgled, but I saw no water moving through the filter, and when she turned it off I could hear air escaping.

Not sure of the best field repair, I know I have to cut the pipe, not got a plastic pipe cutter with me, will a sharp knife be able to slice a small not off easily?
Best solution to visit DIY Store [Mr. Bricolage, Brico Pro, Leroy Merlin, Brico Depot] to buy a cheapish set of plastic Pipe Cutters, Kev, OR a Juniot hacksaw as a 2nd choice plus a sheet of sandpaper for deburring [expensive stuff in France!]. The DIY stores also sell a chemical plastic pipe adhesive for joining domestic plastic plumbing pipes, working by melting the faces of the 2 pipes and then rebonding them [foolproff]. Another option is plastic plumber putty that you just mould around the pipe s exterior {I used it in our main bathroom in France to cure a dripon a pipe that I couldn't get 2 decent mating faces on, and 6-7 years later, it is still sound!]

Hope this helps

Steve

Another vote for simply removing the 4 screws to take the tension out of the pipework. You can get Liz to repeat the tap turning while you manoeuvre the pump around and find a position where it doesn't hiss, refix and sort properly when you get home. (Or don't bother cos it works ok now!)

Hi Kev,

Is water leaking? From a joint or from the pump itself? Are you getting any air with water from the taps? Possibility that it is a failed gasket in the pump - an issue that I experienced last year and previously experienced by a friend. Possibility of obtaining a Shurflo repair kit if you can find one in France or of doing what my friend and I both did - use suitable mastic. The latter solution may require allowing up to 24 hours for mastic to set properly.

From the pics, the pump itself looks badly aligned to the pipework. If you don't fancy cutting the pipe with a knife, I'd undo the pump itself and see if moving it slightly left and up will take the tension off the joints. Looks like only 4 screws so maybe worth a try first 🤔
Lateral thinking, I like that, I have plenty of tools just none for cutting.

Hi Kev,

Is water leaking? From a joint or from the pump itself? Are you getting any air with water from the taps? Possibility that it is a failed gasket in the pump - an issue that I experienced last year and previously experienced by a friend. Possibility of obtaining a Shurflo repair kit if you can find one in France or of doing what my friend and I both did - use suitable mastic. The latter solution may require allowing up to 24 hours for mastic to set properly.
No leaks that I can see Tom, I'll try taking the screws out and letting it find it's own happy place.

I think I need to back that nut off, will I need to drain downtown do that?

On closer inspection, if you zoom in on the right side pipe fitting, that nut looks as though it is cross-threaded to me, its certainly not fully home compared with the left side fitting. I don't know your van layout so can't comment on whether the pipe is under any pressure, you could gently back it off and have a towel ready just in case. If it is cross-threaded that could account for the air escape but In that case I'm surprised it isn't weeping from the joint as well.

Back