Sikaflex....what one?

I've been googling and getting conflicting opinions. Now totally confused.

512, clean the surfaces well first - I use lighter fluid

Reactions: RAW
Another vote for 512 from me.

I've used this on my sat dish and solar been in place for a few years now

But before applying wipe down with something like Sikaflex Aktivator 205 after prepping all surfaces.
Always use a bed of at least 3mm of Sikaflex. Ceramic tile spacers are handy as a guide.
I’m a cack handed so n so. But even with my lack of DIY skills, the panel is still where I put it.

How hard are they to remove when they fail?
Not something I want to think about. My panel is on with belt and braces.
I’d thought of increasing the size, after looking at my first attempt, I went for a bigger battery bank.
Now, that’s another story .........

Don't forget as well as Sika, Stixall etc. adheres to a gelcoat or a coated
finish to steel or aluminium, it'll only be as good as that in turn is
adhering to it's substrate.

Personally speaking I tried various Sikaflex products and followed their instructions to the letter and was very disapointed with the results, from then on I have always used Stixall which is cheaper and it sticks like SH*T !

As for sticking a solar panel on the roof of a van, even with the remotest chance of it coming unstuck, as this is the case I would never/ever do such a thing and would always use a permanent form of attachment.

My understanding was 512 is more a sealant (it says 'adhesive sealant for caravans and motorhomes' on the tube I have). It has a picture of a motorhome including the roof with various things on it (TV antenna, solar panels). To me that does not imply the sealant is what attaches those things, merely that it seals them.

I used 292i which is more an adhesive (as well as screws into the roof). There's no English on the tube I have, but it looks to be a marine structural adhesive.

Last edited by a moderator:
The singularly most important matter anyone must bear in mind when they are sticking on a solar panel is to make absolutely certain the adhesive is at the correct thickness and I believe that is 2mm.

i used 292i as advised by aandncaravanservices in their solar panel install guide however the roof bolts bit seemed ridiculous to me. The top layer on a motorhome is a very thin sheet, presumably aluminium, glued to an insulation board. If the sikaflex gives way and a solar panel is loose then no way is a roofing bolt going to hold a panel in place screwed into 1mm of aluminium whilst meeting a combined 110mph uplifting headwind as suggested by some folk. Still if it makes people feel better about the limits of a glue that holds aircraft and speedboats together then so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back