Solar panel

Mobilvetta

Hi I've noticed that the 120 watt flexible solar panel I have on the roof of the motorhome appeared to be water stained. I've been up there today and removed what appears to be a celophane wrapper that covered the top of the panel, don't know if this should have been removed when it was originally fitted or not in 2018, but water had got in between the celophane and the solar panel causing the stain, I've now cleaned it off though with a quick wipe, the panel itself doesn't seem to have been compromised.

There is a bit of residue on the panel now with removing the celophane, a bit like when you remove a wrap from a body panel, not sure what would be best stuff to use to remove it so the solar panel is nice and clean.

I have a multimeter, is there a test I can do by the Epever PWM controller to see if the panel is performing, not sure with the cloudy weather up North if it would be producing any power. I have disconnected the leisure battery's for now.

I have managed to get it booked in with Leisure Tech in Clitheroe, but the earliest they could get it in is just before Xmas, I've asked them if they could fit at least another Panel and a Victron MPPT controller instead of the PWM while it is there, so that it is future proof if I want to go down the lithium battery route at a later date instead of the two 110amp Gel batteries I currently have.

I also asked if they could fit a victron B2B, but they said they wouldn't have time until after Xmas, it appears that all motorhome and caravan technicians are mowed out with work. I've attached a couple of pictures of before and after. Thanks for readingvDavid

IMG_20221120_113331.jpgIMG_20221120_114024.jpgIMG_20221120_114036.jpgIMG_20221120_114046.jpgIMG_20221126_144551.jpgIMG_20221126_144557.jpgIMG_20221126_145229.jpg

hopefully it was just the original plastic shipping film. Reminds me of the ones you get on plastic number plates ... I fitted a new plate and forgot to remove the film and now it is both peeling in places and stuck hard in others.

If you do need another panel, it looks like the two metal strips there could be ideal in securing a replacement down.
Question for you .... It looks like those strips are screwed down to the roof by multiple screws, so look secure (y) . But they don't seem to have any kind of sealant over the screws? If that is the case, each of those screws is a potential point of water ingress .(n)

hopefully it was just the original plastic shipping film. Reminds me of the ones you get on plastic number plates ... I fitted a new plate and forgot to remove the film and now it is both peeling in places and stuck hard in others.

If you do need another panel, it looks like the two metal strips there could be ideal in securing a replacement down.
Question for you .... It looks like those strips are screwed down to the roof by multiple screws, so look secure (y) . But they don't seem to have any kind of sealant over the screws? If that is the case, each of those screws is a potential point of water ingress .(n)
I hope it was, but will it effect the performance as it looks like some of the glue residue is still stuck the the panel. Those screws fix to the aluminium frame sideways on and not through the roof, it looks like two pieces of Aluminium a bottom piece and a top piece that clamps the solar panel between them, there is also some type of adhesive glueing the flexible panel to the roof also, so I don't think it is going anywhere, be a bugger to remove though if the panel is knackered though. I looked up the panel on the web for a replacement, it is Italian manufacturered and over £700, so it will be getting replaced with a different brand.

I would imagine it is compromised by both the residue and also the roof above it for at least part of the day in summer but most of the time in winter, but without testing, I don't know by how much, you can test in two places I think, the box on the roof if you have good access but easier to go into the bottom of the PWM controller, usually the two left terminals are from the panel, they should be some sort of marking, but it needs changing to a MPPT asap anyway unless you're happy with its lower output.

Just a though but a new panel could be fitted above the old one perhaps.

I would imagine it is compromised by both the residue and also the roof above it for at least part of the day in summer but most of the time in winter, but without testing, I don't know by how much, you can test in two places I think, the box on the roof if you have good access but easier to go into the bottom of the PWM controller, usually the two left terminals are from the panel, they should be some sort of marking, but it needs changing to a MPPT asap anyway unless you're happy with its lower output.

Just a though but a new panel could be fitted above the old one perhaps.
Thanks for the reply, I'm moving the motorhome from undercover on Tuesday to get two new tyres fitted. So I will test the controller then with a multimeter to see if it is working.
Just wondering if there is a chemical I can use to clean what looks like glue residue, that won't damage the plastic solar panel.

I would try soapy water first as it's fairly mild, if that's no good, one of the cheapo cleaning sprays, pink stuff or elbow grease.

for cleaning residue, I try using Autosmart G101 or Autosmart Tardis. Both non-aggressive. As Pudsey says, household cleaners often work well, but many, like dishwasher soap, contain lots of salt so rinse well after.

5 years life is about normal for some flexible SP new type ETFE are better , some are damaged by bending during transit and fitting ,their are some good fitting instructions on photonic universe web site ,

5 years life is about normal for some flexible SP new type ETFE are better , some are damaged by bending during transit and fitting ,their are some good fitting instructions on photonic universe web site ,
Did you know you can now print them out on a printer if you get the correct ink Baz? Life for those is only around six months though and the paper ones are more intended for small devices. You can print better ones on a 3d printer but not looked at them

Did you know you can now print them out on a printer if you get the correct ink Baz? Life for those is only around six months though and the paper ones are more intended for small devices. You can print better ones on a 3d printer but not looked at them
How do you print a solar panel?

They do print them now I think with 3d printers, not looked at that though

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back