Speed cameras M1 & M25

In 99.9% of speeding offences I'm willing to bet that no one is killed, seriously injured, slightly injured, offended or even aware of the incident, they are victimless, but the clean up rate for the police is probably 99.9%. I'm also willing to bet that in 100% of cases of murders, rape, assault, burglary and fraud there is a victim and in some cases the clean up rate by the police is probably 20% and sometimes not investigated at all. The stats may be wrong but I still make the point.

Building onto this 99.9% success rate perhaps to expand this State-funded Big-Brother 'crime' fighting operation but steering it on a more welcome direction we should campaign for the companies Gatso & Truvelo to be charged with producing a murder, rape, assault, burglary, fraud and general crime-solving machines. Imagine the tickets they'd send out.. 'Norman Stanley Fletcher, you have been found guilty of blah blah... report to HMP Slade within 24 hours with your toothbrush or we'll send the Sweeney round to collect you'.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so old! Every year it comes up a few times and people continue to spread it. It just isn't true! The speed cameras on motorways have been operational since they were put up. They don't install and then leave them turned off. This is typical (and I'll bet picked up from) Facebook dross!

This is so old! Every year it comes up a few times and people continue to spread it. It just isn't true! The speed cameras on motorways have been operational since they were put up. They don't install and then leave them turned off. This is typical (and I'll bet picked up from) Facebook dross!

Oh well, interesting discussion even though it sounds like it’s a rumour. ?

Fake news. It's been doing the rounds on Facebook with some memes suggesting you will get 6 points just to get people to share it.

The usual one is that they "go live from midnight tonight, please share". Fact is most have been live for a couple of years.

There is a tolerance of 2 mph camera error plus 10% of limit which means the lowest speed you will get done for is 79 on a motorway. You get 3 points and a fine or a speed awareness course If you are just over and have not been caught within last 3 years.

I'm not suggesting anyone should speed. I keep to 60 most of the time. But you may as well get the true facts rather than fake news or chain memes.

They been live for years, every time we go and come back on the M1 / M25 journey we see several vehicles get flashed.

Fake news. It's been doing the rounds on Facebook with some memes suggesting you will get 6 points just to get people to share it.

The usual one is that they "go live from midnight tonight, please share". Fact is most have been live for a couple of years.

There is a tolerance of 2 mph camera error plus 10% of limit which means the lowest speed you will get done for is 79 on a motorway. You get 3 points and a fine or a speed awareness course If you are just over and have not been caught within last 3 years.

I'm not suggesting anyone should speed. I keep to 60 most of the time. But you may as well get the true facts rather than fake news or chain memes.

This is not fake news , I actually work with the motorway maintenance teams including the camera installation team and I have seen most of the new cameras on the new section of the smart motorway on the M62 installed and calibrated , then they actually do a test run on the closed section of the motorway 71 mph and the camera flashed , same at 61 mph, 51 mph and 41 mph , you might get a bit of leeway with the old speed cameras but not the new ones on the smart motorways

What a strange old world it is... On the one hand we have car manufacturers trying to lure us into buying a new machine with more extras available than a Thai knocking shop.. On the other hand we have our wonderful government making everything so tight it makes us squeak... and that's in addition to our unelected masters in Europe throwing more legislation our way like confetti knowing we'll obey without question... Oh well, let's all keep taking the pills with the ever-increasing amount of spills....

This is not fake news , I actually work with the motorway maintenance teams including the camera installation team and I have seen most of the new cameras on the new section of the smart motorway on the M62 installed and calibrated , then they actually do a test run on the closed section of the motorway 71 mph and the camera flashed , same at 61 mph, 51 mph and 41 mph , you might get a bit of leeway with the old speed cameras but not the new ones on the smart motorways
But it is the Police who prosecute. They determine the prosecution threshold irrespective of when the camera 'flashed'. Has anyone actually seen a NIP with a speed of less than the limit plus 10% + 2mph?

What a strange old world it is... On the one hand we have car manufacturers trying to lure us into buying a new machine with more extras available than a Thai knocking shop...

Not to mention them making cars that will do more than twice the speed limit!

But it is the Police who prosecute. They determine the prosecution threshold irrespective of when the camera 'flashed'. Has anyone actually seen a NIP with a speed of less than the limit plus 10% + 2mph?

Hmmm, now if the Police are reasonable...[and I think they will be]... then plenty flashings should = more compliance with the speed limit as said flashes do tend to have an automatic reaction for drivers to slow down. So if that turns out to be the case it's probably for the better...

I've often wondered how manufacturers design and promote vehicles for the general public that are hugely capable of exceeding the legal limits.

But then, we now have the sad case of a young child who died from a serious asthma attack, where the case is being presented by a law firm who claim experience in:
1) Medical negligence
2) Military claims
3) Personal injury
4) Civil liberties
etc., etc.,

They want the government to take measures against pollution by diesel vehicles in the capital city, but assume they still want buses, taxis, and cheap flights. Is this a case of a genuine concern for our planet, or simply ambulance chasing promoted by action groups?

Are speed cameras a genuine case of trying to make our country a safer place to live, or simply cash gathering?

For myself, I honestly don't know.

I live about a mile from the m25, by the dartford tunnel, also beware of the UN-MARKED fast old bill motors

I've often wondered how manufacturers design and promote vehicles for the general public that are hugely capable of exceeding the legal limits.

But then, we now have the sad case of a young child who died from a serious asthma attack, where the case is being presented by a law firm who claim experience in:
1) Medical negligence
2) Military claims
3) Personal injury
4) Civil liberties
etc., etc.,

They want the government to take measures against pollution by diesel vehicles in the capital city, but assume they still want buses, taxis, and cheap flights. Is this a case of a genuine concern for our planet, or simply ambulance chasing promoted by action groups?

Are speed cameras a genuine case of trying to make our country a safer place to live, or simply cash gathering?

I wonder about cameras, whether they are for safety or reward.
There is a mobile camera that operates on the A34 bridge at Botley Oxford, if it was for safety you would expect it to be on the first bridge as you approach, so you would see it and slow, maybe.
The fact is it's on the second bridge where the view is marred by the first bridge.
You choose whether it's a safety or money making camera.

1) Medical negligence
2) Military claims
3) Personal injury
4) Civil liberties
etc., etc.,

Like a lot of things, it's not just black and white. Without going through the stats, I'd be happy to say it's 40/60. Thats 40 for a safer place and 60 cash gathering. My gut feeling it's more 5/95 though ;)

I wonder about cameras, whether they are for safety or reward.
There is a mobile camera that operates on the A34 bridge at Botley Oxford, if it was for safety you would expect it to be on the first bridge as you approach, so you would see it and slow, maybe.
The fact is it's on the second bridge where the view is marred by the first bridge.
You choose whether it's a safety or money making camera.

So IF people can see the camera...
They will probably only slow when they see it.....

Put the camera in a hidden location and possibly more folks will slow down not knowing where cameras are....

Frankly I reckon they should hide them.....

Don't speed and you won't get caught....
There are no excuses for speeding....
If you're not concentrating... Drivers fault
Don't know the limit.... Drivers fault
Speeding.... Drivers fault

Whether you agree or disagree with the limit.... You know what it is (or should do)
Stay under limit.... You won't get caught.

Simples.

• Thank You
Reactions: Lee
So IF people can see the camera...
They will probably only slow when they see it.....

Put the camera in a hidden location and possibly more folks will slow down not knowing where cameras are....

Frankly I reckon they should hide them.....

Don't speed and you won't get caught....
There are no excuses for speeding....
If you're not concentrating... Drivers fault
Don't know the limit.... Drivers fault
Speeding.... Drivers fault

Whether you agree or disagree with the limit.... You know what it is (or should do)
Stay under limit.... You won't get caught.

Simples.

I understand where you are coming from and you have your views.
I would like to say I haven't been caught by this camera and in fact I have only been caught once, which wag about 15 years ago so I have learnt my lesson or just been lucky, you can choose.

It's not difficult though is it?

You have knowledge of the speed limit (or should have)
You have controls to use to alter the speed of the vehicle....

HELL..... They even stick a little doodad to tell you how fast you're going.

Get caught only ONE person's fault....

I pretty much spend half of each of my working day driving as a Aircon/refrigeration engineer....
Up and down the M6/M1 etc networks....

I've a 2 year old van with just over 80 thousand miles on it.....

I've had 1 speed awareness course in the last 25 years driving works van (sunny day...60 limit Empty road in middle of Yorkshire dales..
Radio on loud and bosh 3 points or speed awareness course.

Completely my own fault....
No one else to blame... Hidden van BUT I'd allowed concentration to lapse.

Came away £100 lighter and a little more knowledgeable.... And hopefully a better driver.

I got a speeding fine 38 in a 30 on the A13 at 2am I hadn't realised that the speed limit had been reduced from 40 no signs no warning all they have done is remove the 40 reminder signs and installed a camera at the traffic lights and I got there the lights were green. thousands of drivers have been nicked by this camera. nothing to do with safety only money. cost me £90 for the speed awareness course
Patrick

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back