Sprinter pre-heater

I have that switch too - and the red LED never goes off. What am I doing wrong? :)
Which one, the one I have where it’s on the left in centre of the round switch it one with waves lines?

Have you pressed the button to see if it goes off ? Try holding it in for a little while rather that press and immediately letting go

If its on the you would expect to hear it fire up

Is this on only withengine running ?

I can’t hear mine running inside the cab Trek but that may be my hearing, I barely hear it when I stand next to the wheel. Not like my sit heating eber but I haven’t fitted the silencers on that yet.

Mine is a press in to put the red light out, I did read somewhere it can run on for a little while, could the light on yours stay on for that?

Have you pressed the button to see if it goes off ? Try holding it in for a little while rather that press and immediately letting go

If its on the you would expect to hear it fire up

Is this on only withengine running ?

It's on with the ignition on. I can hear something running. Pressing and holding, or just pressing, does nothing with either the ignition on or the engine fully running.

You will know when its running sounds like a small jet engine

You should also be able to smell the exhaust fumes

And feel the heat on the coolant pipes

Something amiss as with yours alanfleming as it appears yours cant switch off ?

You will know when its running sounds like a small jet engine

You should also be able to smell the exhaust fumes

And feel the heat on the coolant pipes

Something amiss as with yours alanfleming as it appears yours cant switch off ?

There's definitely *something* running down under the front nearside bumper when the ignition is in position 2 - guess that's it.

Ah well - will get the local indie Merc place to have a look at it when it's in for its service in Feb.

Thanks everyone!

If the burner isn’t running and you can’t smell the exhaust Worth listening for the fuel pump pulsing click

Fuel pump cant be found by tracing back the narrow plastic fuel line from the heater towards fuel tank its a small pump with a fuel line in one end out the other with an electrical connection and this pulses when working

This morning we found our Sprinter 316 is fitted with an Eberspächer Hydronic D 5 W Z water heater to preheat the engine. Can anyone tell me how this is supposed to work and where fuses are located please?

As my van is fitted with a calorific this pre-heater will also supply hot water to the habitation area
Hi
Tale a look on you tube for sbar heater lots of info there
Gordon

We've owned our Sprinter moho for over 2 1/2 years now and only just realised that it has an auxiliary diesel heater D5WZ and I was surprised to find that it worked fine when I tried it. So that was quite a timely find as we go into the colder days. I ran the engine from cold with diesel heater on for a few minutes and it soon warmed up the place going full bore heating the coolant. It seems a shame that the exhaust heat is wasted. It's just the booster type with the one switch but the rest function is really useful.

We've owned our Sprinter moho for over 2 1/2 years now and only just realised that it has an auxiliary diesel heater D5WZ and I was surprised to find that it worked fine when I tried it. So that was quite a timely find as we go into the colder days. I ran the engine from cold with diesel heater on for a few minutes and it soon warmed up the place going full bore heating the coolant. It seems a shame that the exhaust heat is wasted. It's just the booster type with the one switch but the rest function is really useful.

Just to let yo know that once the diesel tank gets below a 1/4 full they don’t work this is to stop you using diesel you may need for driving

I know that this an old topic but I've only just found it and I'm very interested in it, please excuse me going straight to the end, but here's some pics of mine while I read all the posts, My 2001 Hymer B680 is a MB Sprinter 311 RHD

1/ is to the right of the steering wheel, headlight adjustment and fog lights
2/ as 1
3/ centre console
4/ possible heater switch on the left (red light on the right above the squiggly lines)
5/ heater output control switch (with a red light in the centre of the centre bar) and the hot/cold switch on the far right, and the fan speed in between
I did check yesterday but the lights only came on when the engine was running, I think my heater unit is behind the front bumper (nearside, quite low, you can only just see it) and by having the engine running and the switches turn on their lights came on and the cab heater seemed to heat up quicker than normal.
comments would be appreciated

by the way when it was working (??) there was nothing coming out of the "exhaust" under the front nearside wing or any noise but the "box unit" in the engine compartment was getting hot

Attachments

• P1360539.JPG
    P1360539.JPG
    618.2 KB · Views: 6
  • P1360540.JPG
    P1360540.JPG
    455.6 KB · Views: 7
  • P1360541.JPG
    P1360541.JPG
    558.7 KB · Views: 10
  • P1360542.JPG
    P1360542.JPG
    568.7 KB · Views: 10
  • P1360543.JPG
    P1360543.JPG
    575.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
When it was working (??) there was nothing coming out of the "exhaust" under the front nearside wing or any noise but the "box unit" in the engine compartment was getting hot
So the diesel heater was getting hot but not the exhaust?

Plenty useful info on the eberspacher Hydronic types on here...

I know the ones fitted to Landrovers products can be 'hacked' to give manual control rather than the factory auto format

I was going to fit one to the transit to give a hot water supply from the engine coolant via a Multiplate heat exchanger from a combo boiler BUT in the end ended up buying the Moho instead

So the diesel heater was getting hot but not the exhaust?
When these fire up you can hear and smell them

after it is switched on but Before it ignites you should hear a clicking noise
This is the dosing pump supplying fuel

Then you will hear the roar as it ignites and smell the burnt fuel

If the unit is getting hot but exhaust remains cool and no exhaust gasses coming out then the heat in this unit is from the engine coolant passing through it

Hi Trek, many thanks for all your inputs, there was deffo no roar and no hot or cold air coming out of the exhaust, so further investigation is required, “the game is afoot”, no clicking was heard so methinks it could be the pump??

Hi Trek, many thanks for all your inputs, there was deffo no roar and no hot or cold air coming out of the exhaust, so further investigation is required, “the game is afoot”, no clicking was heard so methinks it could be the pump??
Lots of trouble shooting info about these on other forums, hope you get it sorted.

Fuel pump probably located nearer fuel tank Trace thin nylon fuel line maybe 6mm in diameter from heater towards tank

dash Heater control heater settings need to be on hot , and plenty of diesel in tank set dash heater fan running press And hold heater on / off button down until red light comes on ,,,,,,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back