Taking your dog abroad

Held off getting a dog for years as thought it would be a pain ... not regretted our rescue for an instant. My only concern would if we were somewhere very hot, but somehow we seem to manage to avoid feeling the sun warm our bones!

Started using a camping-car so that dogs could be with us. Holiday not a holiday without them around. Pity we can't shrink them whilst on the road then re-inflate them when we arrive. Only problem is trying to 'legally' restrain them whilst on the road. Not that they are a problem coming into the cab but they do swap position every so often and 2 seat belt extenders can get very tangled. Have tried using a cargo net across the back of the front seats, would be good if it could be fixed firmly but not wanting to mount fixing points on the vehicle frame.

We love having our dog with us when we go away, she's very much a part of our family.

We find French & Spanish restaurants usually allow our cockapoo to lie under our table (better than the usual stuffed up English). Dogs make a lot less mess than children.

What we could start is a list of friendly vets in France that don't rip you off for the dog worming on the return trip. At channel ports we have heard some charging 60 Euros whereas in central France we have paid as little as 13.

The laird;n2548 said:
has anybody regretted taking their dog abroad with them ?

Yes. After five years travelling without a dog we find that having got a rescue dog a year ago it has massively changed our travelling experience. I wouldn't be without her now and have to accept that the things we do have changed because of her, with 20/20 hindsight, I wouldn't have got her.

colosborne;n7446 said:
We find French & Spanish restaurants usually allow our cockapoo to lie under our table (better than the usual stuffed up English). Dogs make a lot less mess than children.

What we could start is a list of friendly vets in France that don't rip you off for the dog worming on the return trip. At channel ports we have heard some charging 60 Euros whereas in central France we have paid as little as 13.

That would make an excellent additional POI layer for the WC app.

I don't regret taking my ? over to Europe,but a few people over there probably do...like the German guy that got slammed in the back of his legs on the beach and went down like a sack of &£7%,or the woman's leg he peed on,or the surfers flip flop he stole,or the french couple he terrorised when he jumped into their van or.....well I could go on!

maxi77;n2561 said:
Never regret taking them, one year we went out with one and came back with two.

I went with 1 and coming back with 6,I'm sure someone will top that:Smiling_Face_with_T

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back