Taking your dog abroad

How young can you bring one back? As French retrievers seem much better behaved than UK ones!!!!!
anyone know any breeders in France?

Carrerasax;n20907 said:
How young can you bring one back? As French retrievers seem much better behaved than UK ones!!!!!
anyone know any breeders in France?

But they are all called 'Ici' :)

No regrets at all. One of the joys of having a motorhome is being able to take her ladyship with us.

photo156.jpg

Thats part of why we like going abroad with the motorhome, just to see her face (ROXY) and enjoying herself makes it all worthwhile - wouldn't have it any other way

I'm not sure this guy was tickled pink with his dog when I videoed this chase at the Eurotunnel Terminal -

Been traveling for six years everywhere from Spain to Norway. Just me and her now and wouldn't be without her.

photo2176.jpg

The laird;n26640 said:
Just hope our spoilt little girl can cope with the Chunnel and the heat ?

the Chunnel is a doddle. Do you have any specific concerns? We have used it a lot so I might be able to reassure you.

rugbyken;n20753 said:
our only regret is six months before we bought molly we’d spent £1500 on two electric bikes that never get the use we envisaged at the time , unfortunately molly is too large to risk running tied and doesn’t have the road sense to run free,

We put oscar 22kgs in a doggy trailer and I tow him. I couldn’t get up hills, so we’ve moved to electric bikes. The set up works really well. The trailer we have takes dogs up to 50kgs. Set up and pack really quick and easy. http://www.doggyride.com/us/en/P1268/DoggyRide-Novel10-dog-bike-trailer.aspx

I would not travel if I could not take my dog, been back and forth to France loads of times. He's not much good at navigating but excellent company, always take him into restaurents in France and welcomed. Brexit might be a problem , will have to see how that pans out. My dogs got a French Passport so will have to find out if he needs this new blood test.....always another hurdle to jump !

Hi Keith we used clinique veterinaire du vivier, 26 Avenue d'orleans, 41600 Lamotte-Beuvron in France it cost 30 Euro for our 2 dogs 2 years ago you can telephone ahead to book appointment 02.54.88.01.64 or email clinvet.vivier41@wanadoo.fr plus there is an aires park in the village maybe half a kilometer away. It is perhaps a days travel away from the port on the D2020 the vet Pauline Sabourin spoke good English and was really helpful

Our Molly is a member of the family and could never be left home, she’s very much at home in the MH as were my previous 2 girls. They’re always welcomed in shops in France,one chap saw me standing outside his jewellers shop and told me to come in as dogs were welcome but children weren’t.

DC98ED04-16D4-4981-A3AC-012C3E232453.jpeg

We find French & Spanish restaurants usually allow our cockapoo to lie under our table (better than the usual stuffed up English). Dogs make a lot less mess than children.

What we could start is a list of friendly vets in France that don't rip you off for the dog worming on the return trip. At channel ports we have heard some charging 60 Euros whereas in central France we have paid as little as 13.

That would be great ............... we were ripped off twice.

We have been into our Springer Spaniels now for over 30 years and wherever we go they do as well, all 3 of them, although to be honest, one of them is now a recently rescued Cocker who had been to hell and back as a breeding ***** on a traveller site! Over £3k of referral vets bills later she is now well on the road to recovery.

However, when after 30 years as tugging we decided to build a motorhome, the design and built of 'Millie' was executed/undertaken to allow them the greatest possible amount of day space.

Now we travel both far and wide, including long annual journeys each year over to France (where we used to live), and it is true, the French have a far higher tolerance of dogs than most non dog lovers do in the UK. But as for the heat, on the caravan sites we used to own in France we never saw a fit healthy dog have any problems when it became hot (very high 30's C to mid 40's C), however we did witness more than a few overweight and generally unhealthy four legged friends that did struggle!
As for the problem of dogs suffering from high ambient temperatures, we have seen several people use special dog cooling coats. Basically these are a thick polar fleece that you throw into a bucket of water before then putting it onto them................. In a word they work. However as I am somewhat tight with my pennies I/we use a normal fleece and they appear to work almost as well.

3dogspeepo.JPG

Reactions: Caz

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back