Taking your dog abroad

Asterix;n13165 said:
I don't regret taking my ? over to Europe,but a few people over there probably do...like the German guy that got slammed in the back of his legs on the beach and went down like a sack of &£7%,or the woman's leg he peed on,or the surfers flip flop he stole,or the french couple he terrorised when he jumped into their van or.....well I could go on!

Love it Dave..just love a naughty pouch:Tears_of_Joy_Emoji:

In our experience, dogs are even more welcome on the continent than in the UK, especially in restaurants.

Our westie has been on trains, buses, ferries, and cable cars. She's even been known to walk......! There was a slight panic in Sorrento when the bus driver wanted a muzzle.... But that was the exception.

She's better than me at finding our van when we return, and doesn't need a satnav. A holiday wouldn't be the same without her.

​​

Rockburner;n13130 said:
That would make an excellent additional POI layer for the WC app.

If you so a search for keithchesterfield vets list you should find his google map of European vets. Of course it's only as good as the contributions.

Malcolm

In addition, Keith Chesterfield maintains a members list of vets for returning pets.

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...4.kSm3eLuvVb2g

I hope the link works as it's the first time I've tried copying stuff on the forum.

If it fails, then you can find the info under "Introductions" using his name "keithchesterfield". It's a bible for us.

Last edited:
Every time we go away I regret it

but I wouldn’t go without him

he’s not an easy travel companion

aldra

It's a Bible for us

And He sayeth unto the Members,

“Go forth into Europe with thy Pets; and on thy return remember the oath that thou shalt give forth the identity and mark of the Vet thou didst use; so that they may be affixed to the Map of endorsed practitioners for the Pet Passport.

And it came to pass that the Map proliferated through the following aeons to serve the needs of old and new travellers venturing throughout the Continents as their vehicles transported them …...”

:b0234: :b0234: :b0234: :b0234:

:b0212:​​​​​​

To be honest Keith, I think your database is hugely valuable to Motorhomers and deserves a place of its own to save being lost as the forum grows.

Thank you for having created it.

keithchesterfield;n13259 said:
It's a Bible for us

“Go forth into Europe with thy Pets; and on thy return remember the oath that thou shalt give forth the identity and mark of the Vet thou didst use; so that they may be affixed to the Map of endorsed practitioners for the Pet Passport.

And it came to pass that the Map proliferated through the following aeons to serve the needs of old and new travellers venturing throughout the Continents as their vehicles transported them …...”

That's easy for you to say

keithchesterfield;n13259 said:
It's a Bible for us

Many thanks! Looks very useful!

We love having ours abroad, although the skinnier lurcher seems to draw more comments. These two even get to do big cities with us. These are our two on a tram in Augsberg.

20160926 Augsburg (27) dogs in tram.JPG

Thanks for all thanks for the many replies and advice offered /received,we have decided we are taking cherub with us ,had her health check last week and spoke with the vet and all is now under way.
many thanks again guys

Tell you what would be usefull. a guide to getting a dog passport and the vet requirements for leaving and returning to Blighty. :Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign

One thing that caught me out..... Check the paperwork thoroughly before leaving your chosen vet. We once arrived at the ferry terminal and were told we couldn't travel....

The vet, in his enthusiasm to chat had transposed two digits beneath one of the three date stamps. It was obvious what had happened looking at all three. We had to drive to another vet, where she smiled and asked for the date and time we wanted. She told us their practice earned rather a lot from mistakes.

Back to the ferry, we caught the next service.

debs;n13493 said:
Tell you what would be usefull. a guide to getting a dog passport and the vet requirements for leaving and returning to Blighty. :Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

https://www.vets4pets.com/pet-health-advice/pet-passports/

It's already out there. The problem with having a definitive guide on here would be it's liability implications for Phil if it weren't kept updated. Better, I think, to use the government site to check the requirements.

He is a hound from hell

8 stone of over protection of the van

this trip travelled in the garage, he has an opening widow and half a garage with a feather bed

he goes bolistic at traffic lights, zebra crossings, garages and even if we wind down the windows

we we couldn’t leave him outside of the van so he has wire doors on either side of his garage

meet him outside or in the house ?

once introduced he’s a complete pussycat

adores one one and all , and they adore him, a big soft baby who adores his teddy

how I wish he was the same in the MH

sa ndra

Spacerunner - does that brown thingamajig with the yellow beak behind that aggressive dog need a Pet Passport or are you smuggling it through Customs ?

:Wink_Emoji:

our only regret is six months before we bought molly we’d spent £1500 on two electric bikes that never get the use we envisaged at the time , unfortunately molly is too large to risk running tied and doesn’t have the road sense to run free,

We've taken our Border Terriers abroad ever since Pet Passports were introduced. The first time we were somewhat nervous but it all worked out extremely well. In the early days you had to have both worm and tick treatment not more than 48 hours and not less than 24 hours before entry into the UK which was very tricky. However it's now much easier with an allowance of five days and only a worm tablet required. We avoid vets anywhere near the channel ports because they know you are a captive market. The worm tablet plus "examination" generally costs around €40. However the cheapest was at a very small vet, Stephane Latimier, in Port Louis near Lorient. His waiting room was a shady area under the trees opposite his door, no website or frills. His price was 5€, he only charged for the tablet.
In early May we heading for Germany and Holland and I've already booked a vet in Middelburg as we pass through.
I thought initially that the Ferry staff etc scanned the animal, but in reality they give you the scanner. In order to be sure I know where the microchip is located (when he was a puppy it was in the scruff of his neck, but its now by his left shoulder) I have him scanned at our vets at no cost.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back