The Bread and Baking Thread

Well the white loaf was not great very doughy I think my conversions from cups to ounces and kgs must have been slightly off but the Brown loaf is looking better but I’m on a mission now so bowls all washed and dried ready for another go think I’ll have a go at a traditional recipe and get Bill to do the kneeding 😂😂

6AD3EA64-17AF-410A-AFD0-7119B3682F0D.jpeg

For what it's worth, Annie, Jane has difficulty kneeding dough so has bought a Kenwood KMixer. She's absolutely delighted with it and has made quite a variety of breads and other baked products using it. Even I'm impressed with it!
In the three weeks since she bought it we've had homemade pizzas, focaccia, fougasse, white bread, Chelsea 'buns' with marzipan rolled inside, cakes, far too many scones of various flavours...........
John Lewis is cheapest for the KMix if that's of interest - currently £249 and comes with the JL 2 year guarantee. Other brands are available!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Reactions: 2cv
For what it's worth, Annie, Jane has difficulty kneeding dough so has bought a Kenwood KMixer. She's absolutely delighted with it and has made quite a variety of breads and other baked products using it. Even I'm impressed with it!
In the three weeks since she bought it we've had homemade pizzas, focaccia, fougasse, white bread, Chelsea 'buns' with marzipan rolled inside, cakes, far too many scones of various flavours...........
John Lewis is cheapest for the KMix if that's of interest - currently £249 and comes with the JL 2 year guarantee. Other brands are available!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
My mum in the 70s had all singing and dancing Kenwood with vast array of attachments and my brother dumped the lot when she went into a nursing home 🤬 I thing I feel an Amazon purchase coming on. 😂😂

My mum in the 70s had all singing and dancing Kenwood with vast array of attachments and my brother dumped the lot when she went into a nursing home 🤬 I thing I feel an Amazon purchase coming on. 😂😂
Go for it - you deserve it.
After all, you'd be doing Bill a kindness!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I probably had the same Kenwood collection of mixer and accessories. It got loads of use and stood up to constant (ab)use by a family including four kids. Sadly it disappeared when I divorced.
The KMix comes with a 5 year guarantee on the motor which, unlike the older models, has electronic speed control so the speed essentially doesn't change with varying mixing load.
A couple of accessories are available for the KMix but not as many as the modern version of the Kenwood mixer we both remember. If you want lots of accessories, one of the Kenwood Chef models are the ones to go for. But £100 or £200 more expensive than the KMix.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

JL is currently showing out of stock but I will order one today from Amazon

JL is currently showing out of stock but I will order one today from Amazon
I've asked JL to let me know when the cream and/or black KMix is back in stock. I may or may not treat myself!
BTW Annie, you may want to get the KMix with the stainless steel bowl. Apparently the glass version tends to jam onto the stand.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Please don't tell us you scoffed that much at one sitting.......

You lucky man. That's our eldest son's favourite and he feels cheated if Yvonne forgets to serve it. 😁

I've had a go at making scones:

IMG_20210207_151351.jpg

These are to a National Trust recipe and I made them oversized, simply because I love NT scones!
And I thought that I'd update the thread with my latest sourdough loaf and scoring pattern:

IMG_20210216_114933.jpg

This is made with plain bread flour, rye flour, wholemeal bread flour and plenty of seeds.
My starter for this evening's meal was a slice from this loaf with smoked mackerel.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Sue (Moonshadow) posted me a 'hug' for #496!
I'm not sure if it's just because it's me or the scones or the sourdough that won the day, but here's hoping ................

Sue, I made more giant scones to the National Trust recipe today:

IMG_20210217_121424.jpg

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Last edited:

Found the above...i use half measures
then mix in herbs and spices and top with cheese.
Bake in a round sponge 9inch round cake tin as used for sponge cakes so not high sided.
Bake in our round table-top oven
In between bread and pizza !

Last edited:
I cheat with fruit cakes.
Buy a big bag of ready mixed flour etc
So mix 250gm with 2 eggs 80ml milk (often soy) and 100gm coconut oil (instead of butter).
Add a mixture of dried fruit (some bought but also home-dried) use a 5in cake baking tin
Bake for 45mins at 175C...
Eat at 30deg C over 2 days !

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's just because it's me or the scones or the sourdough that won the day, but here's hoping ................

View attachment 58475

Col

View attachment 58475

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
Is the recipe on their site? I make loads of scones but just plain using my mother's recipe and then get clotted cream and strawberry jam to accompany. They are a great stand-by in the freezer! You'd have liked my latest sourdough, seriously over tanned - tastes great though!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back