The Fun Guys Thread

Without Fun Guys of all sorts we wouldn't be here at all so I thought that a thread dedicated to these marvels of the eukaryotes would be recognition for everything they do - both good and bad.
The yeasts contribute to our beer and bread..........etc, etc.
Other Fun Guys break down and help recycle organic matter, provide us with drugs .......... and occasionally rather tasty morsels.
From now until the end of the year is probably the best time to see the fruiting bodies that some Fun Guys have been busy preparing for our enjoyment.
So this is the thread to contribute your photos (most definitely!), memories and stories of encounters with these wonders of Mother Nature as you potter around on foot, bike or Moho.
I'll kick off with this example adjacent to Stonehenge this morning:

IMG_20200910_141109.jpg

I think it's a young Parasol - and if it is, I'll be collecting it and some of it's neighbours for breakfast when I return to the Drove Road next week.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

The willy one

The willy one

The stinkhorn is an impressive one, oppy. I'm not sure if you've come across one in the wild but trust me - it lives up to it's name. It really does smell like rotting flesh, though I have to admit that it's impressive to see. It attracts flies who then carry the spores off to a new site for the spore to develop.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

We have though young Colin, here in the Peak District they are quite prolific, which makes one proud!!!

Without Fun Guys of all sorts we wouldn't be here at all so I thought that a thread dedicated to these marvels of the eukaryotes would be recognition for everything they do - both good and bad.
The yeasts contribute to our beer and bread..........etc, etc.
Other Fun Guys break down and help recycle organic matter, provide us with drugs .......... and occasionally rather tasty morsels.
From now until the end of the year is probably the best time to see the fruiting bodies that some Fun Guys have been busy preparing for our enjoyment.
So this is the thread to contribute your photos (most definitely!), memories and stories of encounters with these wonders of Mother Nature as you potter around on foot, bike or Moho.
I'll kick off with this example adjacent to Stonehenge this morning:

View attachment 56251

I think it's a young Parasol - and if it is, I'll be collecting it and some of it's neighbours for breakfast when I return to the Drove Road next week.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
I will be there Friday night though arriving very late stopping over on route.

Well I captured a few fun guy pics whilst out fishing ........ no idea what they are 🤔🤔

Great photos, Dave. Did you find all four bodies in one outing? It's a really good mix of gilled (the first and third) and pore (the second photo). Obviously not sure about the fourth photo.
Can anyone help with identification?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Great photos, Dave. Did you find all four bodies in one outing? It's a really good mix of gilled (the first and third) and pore (the second photo). Obviously not sure about the fourth photo.
Can anyone help with identification?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
Yes they were all within a few yards of each other Colin, I don't remember seeing anything like the fourth pic before , should have taken a couple more pics. The "stalk" of that one was oval in section and very chunky.

The willy one
IMG-20200911-WA0003.jpgThis was at Truwen House Anglesey 11 September

Our holiday home in Suffolk usually (not this year!) holds an annual FunGuy foray with an expert lead. In 2016 they found a Candelabra fungi which was thought to be extinct in UK since 1890's. Not seen it since but very interesting to be shown all the various types of fungi. Wish I could be more confident about identification.

Our holiday home in Suffolk usually (not this year!) holds an annual FunGuy foray with an expert lead. In 2016 they found a Candelabra fungi which was thought to be extinct in UK since 1890's. Not seen it since but very interesting to be shown all the various types of fungi. Wish I could be more confident about identification.
You and me both Ruth 🤔🤔😃🤢

Found these on Southwold common this summer

That looks like a Parasol mushroom, silverweed.
They can grow a cap 30cm diameter and are delicious fried whole, so just one in the pan at a time! An egg fried in the cap as the cap approaches the end of cooking completes a wonderful breakfast. I finish mine with plenty of salt and pepper.
I'll be doing just that this autumn. Then the Shaggy Inkcaps in November.........

It goes without saying that one should make sure that you're confident of the mushroom type before cooking and eating. Parasols and Shaggy Inkcaps are difficult to confuse with anything really dangerous, but do use a good field guide to confirm specimens.
When trying a new-to-me fungus I always eat a very small amount first time lest I've got identification wrong or I'm allergic to something in the sample.
The Shaggy Inkcap has a close relative (Common Inkcap) that looks very similar but has a smooth grey cap as opposed to shaggy cap.
It's not considered poisonous and I've found it fine ............... BUT if it's consumed with or soon after drinking alcohol it makes the majority of people very ill indeed. The chemical they produce was at one time used to 'persuade' people not to touch alcohol.
Fungi fascinate me.

Colin :):):)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back