Travel to France, Checks & Paperwork Docs Requirements??

Has anyone who traveled to France since Mid February, know what state of play now is for the crossing?
We crossed Dieppe to Newhaven on 30th April and all low key. Just passport checks and a quick look inside the M/Home. The outward leg on 6th March was much the same, except French Border Guards also inspected Covid Vaccination certs, so check you have Booster proof if original jabs 270 days or more ago. Also ensure that Passport will have 3 months validity at return date and that Passport will be less than 10 years old (i.e. any months c/fwd from old Passport must be discounted) from date of issue
You may be asked for proof of return ticket, and it would be sensible to have own Health Insurance. UK nationality plate also needed + gilet jaune and headlamp converters. Presume you've checked the 90 day in last 180 days Regs will be ok?

Steve

I am in France now, no problems here.
Came by the tunnel in May and just normal van checks ( gas ) passport and had to upload to booking my covid vaccination certificate.

We are in France at the moment, came over on the Eurotunnel on 31 May. Got all the paperwork sorted at home covid pass, health paperwork, we have new passports so that’s ok.
At customs check point they only asked for passport both English and French and into the other section to check the gas bottles were turned off. Then on the train and into France.
We did have to fill in covid details on the booking form on the internet
We crossed Dieppe to Newhaven on 30th April and all low key. Just passport checks and a quick look inside the M/Home. The outward leg on 6th March was much the same, except French Border Guards also inspected Covid Vaccination certs, so check you have Booster proof if original jabs 270 days or more ago. Also ensure that Passport will have 3 months validity at return date and that Passport will be less than 10 years old (i.e. any months c/fwd from old Passport must be discounted) from date of issue
You may be asked for proof of return ticket, and it would be sensible to have own Health Insurance. UK nationality plate also needed + gilet jaune and headlamp converters. Presume you've checked the 90 day in last 180 days Regs will be ok?

Steve

Steve
Thanks so much Steve, So I just have one concern now, my beloved 2 jabs, me 0 due to previous adverse reactions. I am led to believe that jab proof not any longer required sice end of March only PCR Test. Can anyone confirm?
Tim

I am in France now, no problems here.
Came by the tunnel in May and just normal van checks ( gas ) passport and had to upload to booking my covid vaccination certificate.
OK! I am led to believe that vacs proof no longer required, only PCR Test taken inside 72 hours prior to time of travel. My wife 2x jabs only, me 0. The official Web Site seems to indicate thats the case but I just to hear from people that have have ran the course, because there's always over zealous officials who want to be, just lets say just obstructive.

OK! I am led to believe that vacs proof no longer required, only PCR Test taken inside 72 hours prior to time of travel. My wife 2x jabs only, me 0. The official Web Site seems to indicate thats the case but I just to hear from people that have have ran the course, because there's always over zealous officials who want to be, just lets say just obstructive.
The 'over zealous' is possibly becoming an urban myth, alongside 'the French are punishing us' ...

There are procedures that the Border Guards have to follow, one of which is the waiver of the 90/180 days rule for EU (mainly Irish for UK) passport holders and their spouses that the delayed EU Entry/Exit System will cope with automatically. Until the Launch Date of end of September 2022, the process needs a manual check, and the delays for this, Covid Vaccinations et al are causing long loading/unloading delays for the Ferry operators. On our 30/4 return, DFDS began loading vehicles whilst cars were still waiting to clear the Ferry Ramps, about 35 mins before the scheduled Sailing time! So the notion that Border Guards are going to be looking for excuses to be over zealous, is one for the birds. The Border Guard who checked us at Dieppe on the outward leg could not have made a worse job of failing to contain his indifference if he tried ...

Steve

The UK Travel to France webpage was updated pn 13th May and is shown as still current today. Both it, and the linked French Embassy webpage still refer to needing proof of vaccination or clear tests/recovery from Covid

Steve

"Since February 12, 2022, the following rules apply at borders :
  • For travelers vaccinated within the meaning of European regulations, no more tests is required on departure. Proof of a complete vaccination schedule becomes sufficient to arrive in France, regardless of the country of origin, as was the case before the distribution of the Omicron variant.
  • For unvaccinated travellers, the obligation to present a negative test to travel to France remains, but the measures on arrival (test, isolation) are lifted when they come from countries on the "green" list, characterized by a moderate circulation of the virus.
  • When unvaccinated travelers come from a country on the "orange" list, they must continue to present a compelling reason justifying the need for them to come to mainland France and may still be subject to a random test on arrival. Travelers who test positive will have to isolate themselves, in accordance with the recommendations of the Health Insurance."

You will see lower down on the page that the UK is currently on the green list.

And further down again, expand to see:
"Should you wish to enter the national territory from a “green” list country or territory :
  • No negative test on departure is required on departure for vaccinated travelers within the meaning of European regulations. These travelers must present proof of this vaccination to the transport company and to the border control authorities.
  • Unvaccinated travelers must present a negative result of a PCR test less than 72 hours or an antigen test less than 48 hours before departure (departure of the first flight in the event of a connection), or a certificate of recovery (positive result of a PCR or antigen test carried out more than eleven days and less than six months previously. This certificate is only valid for a period of six months from the date of the examination or test).
  • No measures (tests, isolation) are in force upon arrival in metropolitan France."

The 'over zealous' is possibly becoming an urban myth, alongside 'the French are punishing us' ...

There are procedures that the Border Guards have to follow, one of which is the waiver of the 90/180 days rule for EU (mainly Irish for UK) passport holders and their spouses that the delayed EU Entry/Exit System will cope with automatically. Until the Launch Date of end of September 2022, the process needs a manual check, and the delays for this, Covid Vaccinations et al are causing long loading/unloading delays for the Ferry operators. On our 30/4 return, DFDS began loading vehicles whilst cars were still waiting to clear the Ferry Ramps, about 35 mins before the scheduled Sailing time! So the notion that Border Guards are going to be looking for excuses to be over zealous, is one for the birds. The Border Guard who checked us at Dieppe on the outward leg could not have made a worse job of failing to contain his indifference if he tried ...

Steve
Thanks Steve. Much appreciated input.:)
(y)

My sister just entered France via the chunnel in her MH on her way to her other house in S.France and apart from showing their passports were only stopped to turn the gas off.

I have had Covid three times, but never a certificate of any sort. Guess I'll have to wait until the madness is over.

We were asked to show proof of covid jab last week which we knew was reqd so had one each printed off from the NHS app
For the tunnel you have to submit your jab history when booking.
? Is 2 jabs enough as we have 3 recorded

Last edited:
We were asked to show proof of covid jab last week which we knew was reqd so had one each printed off from the NHS app
For the tunnel you have to submit your jab history when booking.
? Is 2 jabs enough as we have 3 recorded
The booster jab is the critical record because the original 2 jabs are older than 270 days. This thread suggests that inspections or indifference are applied on different shifts or crossings, so there's a decent chance of getting it wrong unless you can produce every piece of paper you've ever been given. And if you assert that you can indeed produce the aforementioned papers, you'll likely be waved through with a mumbled, 'Just asking. Didn't want to see them...' 🙄

Steve

. And if you assert that you can indeed produce the aforementioned papers, you'll likely be waved through with a mumbled, 'Just asking. Didn't want to see them...' 🙄

Steve
Everyone must make their own minds up But theres a lot to lose if your turned away from boarding.
Why would anyone not have the jab ?

We went to France around 5 weeks ago by the tunnel and got back yesterday. From memory we showed our Covid record on the way out plus passports. No issue with any checks regarding foodstuffs. On return on Monday, no need for any Covid info but all MHs were being stopped at the UK border control and were subject to a cursory search - checked in external garage; checked inside in shower cubicle and washroom. No questions regarding duty free allowances nor indeed a proper search for the 4 illegal immigrants we had hidden under the bed and in storage lockers*

* Only joking 'natch!

We travelled Portsmouth - Caen last Wednesday evening and still needed to provide a COVID Passport to the Brittany Ferries checkin staff. I've been to France twice in the past month and experienced no "over zealous officials" or any obstruction. That said, I never have in nearly 50 years of travelling Europe and occasionally wonder if maybe its the attitude of the traveller that causes any problems.

I think your original question @TJBi was about those who had not had a vaccination and whether the PCR test was indeed accepted instead. I know it's written down but do we know of anyone who has gone through with just a recent PCR test
If you have a vaccination passport fine................whether they ask for it or not. Do they even recognise a PCR result.

By the way, there are many reasons why people have not had a vaccination and I would not dream of questioning them (my wife).
But actually I would rather be sitting next to someone who had a PCR test yesterday than someone (like me) who had all the jabs 6 months ago. In fact many of my friends have also had Covid after being vaccinated.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back