Vehicle requirements for Foreign Gadabout

You can avoid m ways so the need for a go box in Austria.
Easy enough to used the Fernpass normal roads to Innsbruck and then the old Brenner pass rather than the new bridge which costs x2.
In Switzerland you have little choice but to payup as normal roads become m ways.
It is possible to free/wild camp in Switzerland.
Germany you need the Dekra sticker easy.
Lots of cheap good stellplatze
Italy sostas are variable some very very nice.
Use the toll roads very cheap other roads slow and potholed with interesting wildlife/scenery !
What is a Dekra sticker Phil?

Ps France Italy Austria Germany is a good plan.
I will send you a few links later when I am using pc rather than tablet.
Dekra German government mot system.
We bought ours at a town that had no restrictions otherwise catch22.
You can apply online I think

Last edited:
Thanks Graham, we already have a Bip n Go tag for Spain and Portugal, but for France we have ATMB.
I’ll have to check if BnG would work in Italy as well. Been reading up about Telepass, which covers most of Europe, but only up to 3,500kg, unless I’ve missed something.
We’re leaving mid March and hoping to cover as much of Italy as we can, then through Austria to Germany, to take in Eagles Nest, the Romantic Road and Last Post at Ypres, arriving home mid June.

Check out your B&P tag on their website Rog as you may be able to add Italy to it. I got ne with France, Spain and Portugal as standard and paid something like €6 to add Italy.

Check out your B&P tag on their website Rog as you may be able to add Italy to it. I got ne with France, Spain and Portugal as standard and paid something like €6 to add Italy.
Many thanks, will do.

I would say as well Rog that it works better in Italy then in France. The barriers go up really quickly even when not stationery and then the tag bleeps again when you go through.

Btw Rog when you have an idea of the where's and when's of the trip by all means let me know and I'll gladly recommend some campsites if you are a campsite user.

I read somewhere Europe was going to harmonise all the vehicle toll boxes, I take it that hasn't been introduced yet?
Not within EU's gift. It's a matter for each individual Government, rather like the old chestnut that the EU was going to force UK to raise the State Pension to the EU average [which must mean that most individual EU countries have different State Pension levels and schemes etc]

Steve

Reactions: GMJ
Because we’re leaving mid March, and I don’t believe we have Full Winter Tyres fitted, (Continental Fourseason 2 all round) we may have to avoid transiting Austria and Northern Italy until after 15th April when the restrictions ease. Nothing to stop us heading for the South of France initially, and then entering Italy from Monaco.
France announced last year that it would not enforce the Winter Tyre Rule for 2021/22, but would begin enforcement for 2022/23. There are some 17-19 areas where the Winter Tyres Regs apply [basically, any with a mountain], so be careful whereyou travel for the first couple of weeks!

Steve

If you are considering Switzerland Roger I can recommend you download the Via app from play store, you can then pay via the App for your motorhome to be able to drive in Switzerland and it gives you a QR code incase you were stopped. Hope you have a great trip.

I think we will avoid Bavaria, Austria and Northern Italy initially, as they insist on full winter tyres before 15th April. As the plan is to leave mid March, we would be more comfortable heading South, perhaps Marseilles region and then coasting around into Italy. Does anyone know if the Turin Shroud is worth a visit?

If you are considering Switzerland Roger I can recommend you download the Via app from play store, you can then pay via the App for your motorhome to be able to drive in Switzerland and it gives you a QR code incase you were stopped. Hope you have a great trip.
Thanks Dave, good to know.

I think we will avoid Bavaria, Austria and Northern Italy initially, as they insist on full winter tyres before 15th April. As the plan is to leave mid March, we would be more comfortable heading South, perhaps Marseilles region and then coasting around into Italy. Does anyone know if the Turin Shroud is worth a visit?
Turin Shroud.
We were meant to be ski-ing but no snow so day trips .
Turin is ok but the Shroud ???
But I am half agnostic half atheist !

That’s Rouen out of the equation then. We used to be able to transverse the town clockwise on the Ring Road, but it seems that that’s out of the window now 😪

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back