Vehicle requirements for Foreign Gadabout

Do they ask you to declare which class of vehicle will you be using Rog?
No Graham, no mention of it at all but, they did require my Registration Number, which will probably tell them all they need to know anyway.

Reactions: GMJ
I used starling euros last summer.
Transfer a suitable amount at their sensible rate.
Then when in Euroland all transactions come from the euroaccount at no cost and eurocash.
Just top up the euros as needed.
Then empty euros back to sterling (or leave)
All very easy in the app
Magic !
No euros in switzerland so monies deducted fron sterling (I think)
For an unknown reason one intermarche fuel station refused both starling and Jaja
I had 100 euros in cash so paid up and got euros from a bank to replenish cash.
Switzerland was not very card friendly.
i had to get Swiss dubloons for campsite and a garage.
annoying as Lloyds bank charge 2x (This was pre starling).
we paid for a mountain train trip with Jaja

I used starling euros last summer.
Transfer a suitable amount at their sensible rate.
Then when in Euroland all transactions come from the euroaccount at no cost and eurocash.
Just top up the euros as needed.
Then empty euros back to sterling (or leave)
All very easy in the app
Magic !
No euros in switzerland so monies deducted fron sterling (I think)
For an unknown reason one intermarche fuel station refused both starling and Jaja
I had 100 euros in cash so paid up and got euros from a bank to replenish cash.
Switzerland was not very card friendly.
i had to get Swiss dubloons for campsite and a garage.
annoying as Lloyds bank charge 2x (This was pre starling).
we paid for a mountain train trip with Jaja
Interesting stuff Phil, thanks very much!

You should have hand written it using...
"La plume de ma Tante"
My aunt couldn't afford a hat, much less a feather to stick out of it. But, there again, if she had insured her postillion against a strike by lightening, she possibly could have ... :D

Steve

My aunt couldn't afford a hat, much less a feather to stick out of it. But, there again, if she had insured her postillion against a strike by lightening, she possibly could have ... :D

Steve
Tante pis.
Tante mieux.
I don't think I need to expand !

I think we have a positive outcome eventually.
If you apply via the usual website: mango-mobilitesbyaprr.com you will be rejected as soon as you try to enter UK bank details.
If you email abonnes-villefranche@aprr.fr and explain to them that you need a Toll tag for France Spain Portugal and Italy, they will send you forms to fill in which include a DD mandate as well as Contract Terms which have to be agreed to.
This can all be done by email, with the help of Google Translate.
Personally, I found it was easier to open a euro account through my Starling Bank, because I was then issued with my own IBAN and BIC reference which is essential for the DD mandate.

Received this today, who’s a happy bunny then👍

Welcome to a world of Liber-t and benefits. You are now one of the 1,000,000 privileged users of the Mango Mobilités electronic toll system and we thank you for that.

Your badge leaves on Monday by mail.

And to find out all about the correct positioning of the badge on the windshield, do not hesitate to view the images now “How to fix your badge on your windshield? ".

A big thank you for your trust and good journey with Mango mobilities by APRR.

* Delivery costs €10.

Received this today, who’s a happy bunny then👍

Welcome to a world of Liber-t and benefits. You are now one of the 1,000,000 privileged users of the Mango Mobilités electronic toll system and we thank you for that.

Your badge leaves on Monday by mail.

And to find out all about the correct positioning of the badge on the windshield, do not hesitate to view the images now “How to fix your badge on your windshield? ".

A big thank you for your trust and good journey with Mango mobilities by APRR.

* Delivery costs €10.
Well done, I thought the offer including free delivery Rodger. They have replied to me as well, but I ain't bothering as I don't want to open another bank account to get an IBAN number.

Well done, I thought the offer including free delivery Rodger. They have replied to me as well, but I ain't bothering as I don't want to open another bank account to get an IBAN number.
Why would you need to open another account to get an IBAN? Nationwide (who I think you said you're with) have IBAN (and BIC) in respect of their current accounts.

I didn’t want to use Nationwide because they charge for foreign payments. So I’m using Starling, who don’t.
Having a separate euro account, just for fuel and peages, helps me control and plan my spending.

I didn’t want to use Nationwide because they charge for foreign payments. So I’m using Starling, who don’t.
Having a separate euro account, just for fuel and peages, helps me control and plan my spending.
I never new that Rodger, I use my flex plus card all the time abroad and have never been charged and get a decent exchange rate too.

Was not aware of that thanks, I will ring them on Monday to get the info. Thanks

We use N/Wide Credit Card for Peage/Fuel/LPG/Food/Site Fees and anything else that costs more than a few €, and have never been charged any fees. The exchange rate applied is almost the same as the Commercial Market Rate that would be used for much larger transactions. The only fees are for ATM withdrawals, so we use our French Bank Account for these

Steve

Well Steve, you are very fortunate. We have a Nationwide Flexi Debit Card and have been charged for anything that involves a currency exchange. Still, not anymore, we love our Starling account.

Well Steve, you are very fortunate. We have a Nationwide Flexi Debit Card and have been charged for anything that involves a currency exchange. Still, not anymore, we love our Starling account.
Possibly different regime for the N/Wide Credit Card. Rog. We were in France for 2 months in June & July, and France & Spain for almost 8 weeks in March & April, and paid for Fuel, Engine Oil, LPG, Food, DIY purchases when we broke the Fridge Door Handle, Site Fees and Tolls on several occasions, so it can't have been a fluke or oversight with that number of transactions spread over almost 17 weeks in total

The only angst we had was one of the French autoroute company's who couldn't process the Credit Card [on 2 separate occasions when the Credit Card Help Desk was closed ...]. The Nationwide Credit Card operation seems to have been subcontracted to HSBC Card Services, yet, when the N/Wide Credit Card was rejected on the 2nd occasion, I used my HSBC Debit Card and received a much inferior Exchange Rate plus a 32p Foriegn Transaction Fee!

Steve

There are certainly differences between using credit and debit cards whilst abroad.
Barclaycard rewards card offers, free use abroad whilst I don't think a Barclays debit card does.
Actually I think they are completely different companies.
We have recently opened a Virgin current account as they offer free use and ATM withdrawals abroad.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back