Water hose

Janette

Free Member

Hi, we are new to motorhoming and have been advised to buy a hose to access water supply on sites in case there is not one there. Does this make sense?

Yes makes sense, if you can get your vehicle close to the tap then filling by hose is easier , a lot of people use watering cans or 5/10 litre water containers and then decant the water into the vehicle tank. As far as the hose type is concerned you can use the stretchy type, flat hose or the normal garden type, depends on how much storage space you have

Hi, we are new to motorhoming and have been advised to buy a hose to access water supply on sites in case there is not one there. Does this make sense?
My hose is now stored in the rear of the garage at home with various other items I bought and never used after I started motorhoming 8 years ago.
In 8 years I can count on one hand the sites that didn’t have a hose attached to the tap so decided to not bother carrying it.

Last edited:
I have food grade hose and various fittings to go with the hose lock adaptors which include the screw on fitting to tap as to enable hose lock connection
id rather use my hose as I have seen (not a lot) people hosing tneir cassette toilet with fresh water hose agh

My hose is now stored in the rear of the garage at home with various other items I bought and never used after I started motorhoming 8 years ago.
In 8 years I can count on one hand the sites that didn’t have a hose attached to the tap so decided to not bother carrying it.
I think you have been lucky as my experience has been the opposite.

Back to the OP's question, I bought a hose 7 years ago which is 3 small tubes moulded together making it flattish. It comes in a flimsy reel for winding up. Trouble is the flow rate is pathetic - takes ages to fill up. I'd like to get rid of it but the blasted thing refuses to break.

I quite fancy the stretchy type but have read that they don't last long.

We carry a similar one to this one ....

Most of the sites we occasionally stop at (small CS/CL types)
Will usually have a water tap but it's just that.... A tap.

Prefer using our own hose anyway for hygiene reasons.
Doesn't take much room up and is made of three separate tubes so doesn't kink.
The carrier is flimsy BUT the hose bit is pretty well made.

I have food grade hose and various fittings to go with the hose lock adaptors which include the screw on fitting to tap as to enable hose lock connection
id rather use my hose as I have seen (not a lot) people hosing tneir cassette toilet with fresh water hose agh
I agree entirely Gordon, I bought the blue food grade hose and various fittings from the start after seeing how some people treat the ones that are fitted, all are sterilised at the same time as the fresh water tank

I have found that most `Cl & CS sites as well as Club sites have a piece of hose attached to the water tap two or three feet long if they have one at all and certainly in France and `Germany there will be no hose at all. You must have been blessed in you eight years.

Yes makes sense, if you can get your vehicle close to the tap then filling by hose is easier , a lot of people use watering cans or 5/10 litre water containers and then decant the water into the vehicle tank. As far as the hose type is concerned you can use the stretchy type, flat hose or the normal garden type, depends on how much storage space you have
Be careful if buying garden hose. Avoid those that have have a black rubbery inside which imparts a nasty flavour to the water passing through.

Reactions: Alf
If you eventually explore France and use Aires, then you will need a hose and a variety of fittings for the differing types of tap you will encounter.

Davy
I agree 100%. I wish someone had warned me about this when we started. It would have saved a lot of frustration and time, but we always carry a hose now and have built up a collection of tap connectors, including the universal type that fits over the spout of the tap.

In France…and other countries if there is only one tap, or if there’s two and they are both near the CDP be aware that someone may have used it for flushing their cassette, often sticking the spout right up around the tap. I’ve seen this on numerous occasions, many hirers and newbies are just as ignorant there as they are here. So always sterilise such taps with a disinfectant spray or wipe before using for fresh water.

You have reminded me or our first experiences with our new (to us) Motorhome. We were complete novices when we bought our motorhome just over six years ago, and the person who sold it to us very kindly gave us a couple of hours instruction on using it.

One of the very important demonstrations was that to replenish the water tank we should first fill a large water barrel from the tap, (the type of plastic barrel you attach a handle to roll it from the tap to the Moho), then move it to below the filler point and proceed to pump the water from the barrel to the tank using an electric pump connected to the 12v connection in the cab. Then return to the tap and repeat the process, back and forward from tap to Moho, until the tank was full. I was obviously very naive back then because I followed his example religiously for our first summer away, but he had assured me that's how he always did it and he even threw in the water carrier with the sale! Looking back I now know he treated his motorhome like a caravan, because he also threw in a waste water carrier that he would fill with grey water wherever he was parked, and then take it to a drain to empty instead of driving over it.

Anyway, regarding your question about the hose, I would say you should definitely carry one. Its much better to have one and not need it than the other way round.

In France…and other countries if there is only one tap, or if there’s two and they are both near the CDP be aware that someone may have used it for flushing their cassette, often sticking the spout right up around the tap. I’ve seen this on numerous occasions, many hirers and newbies are just as ignorant there as they are here. So always sterilise such taps with a disinfectant spray or wipe before using for fresh water.
Ditto

And it's food grade for a reason

We have always carried a 30 foot hose split into 10 feet lengths so you didn't need to drag the lot out, but I let them go with the last van and now just have a 20 and a 10 foot which makes more sense, but we are wild camp only so quite often don't get very close to taps.

In the days when we did we never travelled with water in the main tank. We would buy a 5 litre bottle of water for drinking, cleaning teeth and tea.

Our Trigano had an obstinate water filler cap that just would not open even with the threat of a hammer. So on arrival we would uncover the tank, behind the drivers seat under the sofa, fill the tank.

I have never been to a site where there was a hose attached to the drinking water tap. Rarely there would be a fitting to attach the hose, if there was one it was probably the wrong type. All that was OK as we carried a 15 metre hose reel with us.

The biggest problem was the flow rate of water coming from the tap, sometimes it was incredibly slow you could have a cuppa waiting for 40 odd litres to go in the tank.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back